I wish the UFC went back to less fighters, less cards, more competition

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The UFC roster currently has a whopping 1128 fighters on it.

https://www.ufc.com/athletes/all

It’s been bloated to level never seen before.

A lot of these guys should be fighting in regional shows or in other promotions. The UFC is supposed to be the major leagues of MMA.

Im going to show you a few free UFC fight nights from a few years ago.

UFC fight night 79:

Ben Henderson vs. Jorge Masvidal
Dong Hyun Kim vs. Dominic Waters
Sexyama vs. Alberto Mina

UFC Fight Night 80

Thug Rose Vs. Paige Vanzant
Jim Miller vs. Michael Chiesa
Sage Northcutt vs. Cody Pfister
Thiago Santos vs. Martin Day.

These were FREE cards.

My point being the roster is bloated, there are too many cards and the talent is being watered down.

They need to really cut this down to 12 PPV events and 12 fight nights a year. 24 High quality cards with the best fighters in the world fighting each other.

I disagree

The more content, the better

I enjoy the fights every weekend

Don't know why so many casuals complain about name value, watch more fights and you'll know more names.

original.png

A lot of these guys should be fighting in regional shows or in other promotions. The UFC is supposed to be the major leagues of MMA.

UFC fight night 79:

Sexyama vs. Alberto Mina

UFC Fight Night 80

These were FREE cards.

My point being the roster is bloated, there are too many cards and the talent is being watered down.

They need to really cut this down to 12 PPV events and 12 fight nights a year. 24 High quality cards with the best fighters in the world fighting each other.
Agreed
Oversaturation makes things stale.
If you are looking for the spectacle atmosphere though that died at least 10 years ago aside from the very big cards.

UFC fight night 79:

Sexyama vs. Alberto Mina

UFC Fight Night 80

These were FREE cards.

How is the UFC gonna honor their contract with ESPN and the amount of shows they're scheduled to put on? How are all the fighters on the roster gonna have their contracts honored and make money? What you're proposing is not feasible in any way.

UFC fight night 79:

Sexyama vs. Alberto Mina

UFC Fight Night 80

These were FREE cards.

I think you should rethink what your saying but I disagree because I saw them being less skilled. I remember the days you sat and watched them hug for hours...UFC when it first started people watching would literally stand up and start talking. Then Chuck came in and made it dangerous for wrestlers by turning the fights to standing positions. Between Chuck and Pride falling it was a mix of wrestling and striking. When the pride fighters came in you had some kids showing up who might have done MMA at 14 but still a mix of other things as a base. By now...the younger generation and skill set is just so much more diverse. The fighters today are much more skilled and more exciting to watch. Over time skill increases and competition.

Once MMA got big enough that corporate bigwigs went from "bleurgh human cockfighting for rednecks" to "shit, look at the numbers these guys are doing" we were always going to go down this road, along with WMMA, Reebok etc etc. Its the price you have to pay for becoming mainstream unfortunately.

UFC fight night 79:

Sexyama vs. Alberto Mina

UFC Fight Night 80

These were FREE cards.

Id definitely take quality over quantity

I mean having less fighters on the roster means more competition outside the UFC with only the cream of the crop making it to the Major leagues

...That's already how it works

Majority of top 15 ranked fighters in the world are in the UFC, their respective weightclass
Many of them with titles in smaller orgs

You're making an issue over nothing

You can simply just watch two or three fights on each card, or none at all

You are literally crying that the UFC isn't run exactly how you want it to

What the UFC is trying to do is build up stars in their org, providing the banner for more exposure for the fighters
Do you know the top three fighters in ACB LW ?
No, because it's a scene that's more popular in the east, whereas UFC is worldwide. Everybody knew DJ, no one knew about Askar Askarov when he was absolutely demolishing his competition in ACB.

You can't be the world's premiere league and have one or two PPV's/shows every two months.

I can elaborate even further, but I don't wanna make you feel bad.

Just don't watch the fights you don't care about

If we are gonna have this many people on the roster we need there to be teams and they should start having battles like in "The Warriors,
Costume and all.

Back