I Wish MMA was more popular

just get your friends into it
thats what i did
best way to get casuals into the sport is to show them the poirer vs geathje fight

my friends who never watched mma before got soo damm hyped

culturally it won't because some countries are more drawn to soccer or other sports. Let Dana gargle that MMA is dominant and it will replace soccer blah, blah, blah.

At least here in Colombia no one cares for MMA, only for soccer.

Just re-watched Couture vs Tony and man. Ankle pick and domination. Tony verbally tapped to an arm triangle setup but got dominated. At least we got Silva winning a boxing match... That being said Tony was a dummy and desperate fighting one of the best grapplers of the time. Will we ever see that again? Hopefully the old farts will die off and people realize MMA is more exciting. I watched an MMA fight with an older college and they couldn't believe you could kick their head and asked dumb questions on "wow you can kick the leg? Woah you can knee then?" I guess it's the same shit with kick boxing now.

Toney and Askren were out of shape as well.

You've got to be in such amazing shape to win in combat sports. Whether MMA, boxing, grappling, whatever you've got to be in shape. When you are an old fart, it's much harder to be in the kind of shape you need to be in to compete at a high level.

Its popular enough with casuals, MMA often crosses 1 million PPV buys, thats special for boxing, of course there is the brand part, but still.

Just re-watched Couture vs Tony and man. Ankle pick and domination. Tony verbally tapped to an arm triangle setup but got dominated. At least we got Silva winning a boxing match... That being said Tony was a dummy and desperate fighting one of the best grapplers of the time. Will we ever see that again? Hopefully the old farts will die off and people realize MMA is more exciting. I watched an MMA fight with an older college and they couldn't believe you could kick their head and asked dumb questions on "wow you can kick the leg? Woah you can knee then?" I guess it's the same shit with kick boxing now.
I think the Tony/Couture fight showed how most believe that MMA guys only way to beat boxers is to lay on them and hug on them. Also did you intentionally forget about Timmy Silva getting KO'd by Ray Mercer upon the first punch? Tony would have done the same to oldie Couture but we saw how desperate Couture was with his takedown, as he was too scared to even try and stand for 1 second with him.

I honestly don't know anyone who watches MMA anymore aside from Conor fights. We used to have a big group from work that would get together for PPVs but they're all gone. The last one we watched together was Rampage vs Rashaad.
Most of my friends stopped following MMA around that era as well. Many did not follow it after PRIDE collapse except for Fedor fights at Strikeforce/Affliction.

The hardcores still love Pride so it won’t be that bad
Pride has as many confirmed fixed fights as the UFC:
Coleman v Takada and Takada v Sturgeon (Pride)
Don Frye v Mark Hall and Taktarov v Anthony Macias (UFC).

The matchmaking was the biggest problem, so many lopsided fights where some Japanese pro wrestler was fed to a professional fighter. Sakibara wanted another Sakuraba for the Japanese fans to get behind which was ridiculous in hindsight since Sakuraba was orders of magnitude more talented than the others. Eventually that lead to resentments and Saku got fed to a bunch of huge roided up Brazilians who outweighed him by 20 pound or more. If Saku had his choice I'm sure he'd prefer to have been booked to win those fights or lose without taking so many hellacious beatings.

Popularity doesn't necessarily equate to quality or improvement. People love crap like Kardashians and Bachelor or whatever. MMA is fine as it is. It just needs to get the boxing judges out.

The old farts probably are one of the main reasons why mma is still around.

I wish I didn't have a 4 inch penis.

Because some girls don't like it that wide.

So, long story short, Couture beat James Toney, Silva beat Chavez and you want people to die so that MMA will become more popular.

UFC’s pay salary is the laughing stock of professional sports. UFC/MMA will never be more popular if most, if not, all of their top talent complain about fighter pay.

MMA under unified rules is just boring, it's not going to become really popular, the same with every other combat sports. It could have some big stars making huge numbers but the sport as a whole is going to be nothing but a nitche.

Hopefully the old farts will die off and people realize MMA is more exciting. I watched an MMA fight with an older college and they couldn't believe you could kick their head and asked dumb questions on "wow you can kick the leg? Woah you can knee then?"

You sound like a douchebag.

Oh, that Daner. I know him as Goofopotamus.
Oh, ok. Well, Pinkus Maximus Goofopotamus is the name of the species.

Popularity doesn't necessarily equate to quality or improvement. People love crap like Kardashians and Bachelor or whatever. MMA is fine as it is. It just needs to get the boxing judges out.
I mean, UFC already has their "Keeping up with the Pink Goof" reality shows, as well as a Bachelor type tournament - just for the belt - in multiple divisions. We just need to start fixing the storylines and... how does Daner feel about Reyjay?

Have you ever wondered, that we can be responsible ourselves, in the way we behave in the sport, in general !?
( Just "food" for thoughts ! )

Back