I will personally hold Turki Alalshikh's hand ( for 5 seconds) if he can come up with MMA promos on this level (POLL ADDED)

AWESOME???

• Total voters
Boxing trailers are on another level. My 2 favorites are Queensberry Promotions (Frank Warren) vs. Matchroom (Eddie Hearn), and Joshua vs. Ngannou.

Yes, i think there are pros and cons to both. The UFC has much more consistent relevant fights (boxing has too many non competitive matchups) but in terms of mega fights boxing can't be matched by mma.

This is mostly because its the norm for the biggest fights to be marinated for years in boxing while in MMA its pretty much just expected that the no1 and no2 guys in the division will fight in a timely fashion then we move on to the next thing. Bivol and Beterbiev have both been major belt holders in the same division for 5+ years at this point and Beterbiev is a few months away from turning 40, if thats what it takes to make a "mega fight" i'd rather have the MMA model tbh.

Reactions: HHJ
This is mostly because its the norm for the biggest fights to be marinated for years in boxing while in MMA its pretty much just expected that the no1 and no2 guys in the division will fight in a timely fashion then we move on to the next thing. Bivol and Beterbiev have both been major belt holders in the same division for 5+ years at this point and Beterbiev is a few months away from turning 40, if thats what it takes to make a "mega fight" i'd rather have the MMA model tbh.
Beterbiev's age is irrelevant imo, he's never looked as good as he did in the Callum Smith fight when he was 39. Bernard Hopkins was fighting at a very high level until his late 40s. Fighters are individuals.

Also, letting fights "marinate" is a misnomer. The issue is that promotions in boxing aren't incentivized to work together unless the purse is big enough for both. You can say thats a broken model, but boxing mega fights are simply an artifact of no single promotion having a monopoly on the best fighters in a given division. The UFC also doesn't have a monopoly on the best fighters in a division, heck i can argue that Aspinall even if he beats Jones isn't truly the best HW as long as Ngannou is out there. So an example of an MMA mega fight would be Aspinall v Ngannou, or Jones v Ngannou.......which we'll never get of course.

Last edited:
Beterbiev's age is irrelevant imo, he's never looked as good as he did in the Callum Smith fight when he was 39. Bernard Hopkins was fighting at a very high level until his late 40s. Fighters are individuals.
He has a point though. Sometimes they wait too long and it never happens. We never got Joshua vs Wilder, or Joshua vs Fury. Rather than wait, we just didn't get it at all.

He has a point though. Sometimes they wait too long and it never happens. We never got Joshua vs Wilder, or Joshua vs Fury. Rather than wait, we just didn't get it at all.
But i can give you a counter example, will we ever get Jones vs Ngannou? Or Aspinall vs Ngannou? Those are better analogs for a Beterbiev-Bivol type mega-fight, and mma doesn't give us those. Like i said, mma is more consistent but doesn't have the highs of boxing.

while in MMA its pretty much just expected that the no1 and no2 guys in the division will fight in a timely fashion
This is not expected anymore. Let's see...
Jones vs Miocic instead of the more obvious Jones vs Aspinall, which is the real title fight to make. Pereira vs Roundtree instead of Pereira vs Ankalaev. Merab vs Umar instead of Figgy, etc. etc.

Also, letting fights "marinate" is a misnomer. The issue is that promotions in boxing aren't incentivized to work together unless the purse is big enough for both. You can say thats a broken model, but boxing mega fights are simply an artifact of no single promotion having a monopoly on the best fighters in a given division. The UFC also doesn't have a monopoly on the best fighters in a division, heck i can argue that Aspinall even if he beats Jones isn't truly the best HW as long as Ngannou is out there. So an example of an MMA mega fight would be Aspinall v Ngannou, or Jones v Ngannou.......which we'll never get of course.

This is not expected anymore. Let's see...
Jones vs Miocic instead of the more obvious Jones vs Aspinall, which is the real title fight to make. Pereira vs Roundtree instead of Pereira vs Ankalaev. Merab vs Umar instead of Figgy, etc. etc.

There are definitely instances of it happening in MMA too, but its much less common. Theres not that same vibe of fans spending years fixating on a specific handful of fights that may or may not eventually happen. MMA is more in the moment and theres a faster turnover of what people give a shit about.

I want Beterbiev to win but tbh I think its gonna be an anticlimactic fight where Bivol just outboxes him to a pretty comfortable UD and then fans do the whole "he was old/past his prime" thing to try and invalidate the whole thing anyway.

There are definitely instances of it happening in MMA too, but its much less common. Theres not that same vibe of fans spending years fixating on a specific handful of fights that may or may not eventually happen. MMA is more in the moment and theres a faster turnover of what people give a shit about.

I want Beterbiev to win but tbh I think its gonna be an anticlimactic fight where Bivol just outboxes him to a pretty comfortable UD and then fans do the whole "he was old/past his prime" thing to try and invalidate the whole thing anyway.
I think that it's hard to compare MMA fans to boxing fans. Most MMA fans I know just love the spectacle and little about the fighters whereas (in my experience) even shallow boxing fans know more about the history. So, MMA feuds/dream fights fizzle out to most casuals are they'll chew up the next UFC promotion and forget about the last. Most of Sherdog are on the boards because of MMA knowledge and maybe care more about the missed big fights than the average Joe cares

What the ?!?
This is the greatest promo ever made.
I pressed play expecting a 30s standard promo. Amazing. I'm flabbergasted.

1727456456933.jpeg

I think that it's hard to compare MMA fans to boxing fans. Most MMA fans I know just love the spectacle and little about the fighters whereas (in my experience) even shallow boxing fans know more about the history. So, MMA feuds/dream fights fizzle out to most casuals are they'll chew up the next UFC promotion and forget about the last. Most of Sherdog are on the boards because of MMA knowledge and maybe care more about the missed big fights than the average Joe cares
This is a pretty accurate analysis.

I really don't think Bivol will just outbox Beterbiev in that sort of anti-climactic way because he doesn't have the power to tame Artur and he doesn't have the skills to avoid him completely (he couldn't avoid Canelo who has slower foot and lower volume than Artur). Artur will get to him, the question is whether he can inflict enough damage to stop bivol inside 12. It won't be a Bivol walkover, i feel pretty confident in saying that.

The hour is later than you think.

Against the power of Alashikh there can be no victory. We must JOIN with him, Ares. It would be wise, my friend.

images
No thanks. Not a big fan of religious fanatic ethnostates.

IDK man, there have been a couple of rounds of recent fights where he looked like shit. I do agree that he has also looked brilliant agaibst Callum but overall I am seeing some level of inflection. But Biev doesn t follow common logic. He has a lot of stamina, compact defense, doesn t get hit a lot and has clubbing power where he breaks down apanyents while punching on their guard. It could be that he has a couple more cyborg years. His power will not go away and his style is tailored to be extremely economical and based on small movements.

IDK man, there have been a couple of rounds of recent fights where he looked like shit. I do agree that he has also looked brilliant agaibst Callum but overall I am seeing some level of inflection. But Biev doesn t follow common logic. He has a lot of stamina, compact defense, doesn t get hit a lot and has clubbing power where he breaks down apanyents while punching on their guard. It could be that he has a couple more cyborg years. His power will not go away and his style is tailored to be extremely economical and based on small movements.
When did Beterbiev look like shit? I really don't think he's looked like shit recently. IMO Beterbiev is a victim of his own success, he's such a destroyer that any tough fight looks like he's declining. Anthony Yarde was a difficult stylistic match for him, Yarde is huge, strong, fast twitch, athletic, and has very unorthodox punches that come from weird angles. Most of the narrative around Beterbiev aging stems from the Yarde fight, i don't think that had anything to do with age it was just Anthony Yarde matching up really well against him and fighting probably the best fight of his career.

That promo is legit. Some Braveheart/Highlander shit. Leaps and bounds better than literally every promo the UFC has ever made an intern throw together for no pay.
Not nearly as good as Turki's, but ufc has one really good promo. 1 out of 750, sure.

It does to me. Feel free to gargle sheikhnuts all you want.
Nah it's just the 5 second hand hold. So that MMA can prosper. Obviously someone doesn't care about MMA prospering...

Back