I will never surrender

Sorry if this has been covered, but what exactly is a bench pull?

Sorry if this has been covered, but what exactly is a bench pull?

Pretty much the opposite of a benchpress.
It is an exercise which is mostly used by rowers. The only time I ever saw it on some youtube footage was in a chinese olylifters training vid. But I can't find this vid.

Like this:
YouTube - LH Rudern

But I use a flat bench and put the bar on the floor in between reps (rarely do I use the hanging version).

When I find the time I will shoot a vid.

Oh OK. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. That's a pretty good amount of weight you're using for those!

Oh OK. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. That's a pretty good amount of weight you're using for those!

My upper back is definatelly my strongpoint + the benchpull is a movement I have been doign since I was 10 years old.
It is defintelly a good exercise if you can't put pressure on your leg(s) at all, like myslef atm, but still want to pull something heavy in an explosive fashion.

- OHP
50x3/50x3/55x3/60x3/65x3/60x3/65x3

- BP
70x3/80x3/85x3/90x3/95x3/90x3/95x3/100x3/90x3/90x3/90x3/90x3/90x3/90x3

Everything felt heavy today. I didn't feel drained at all but my upperbody muscles just weren't recovered yet. Could ahve been a great lowerbody day, but lowerbody is out atm. So I didn't go to heavy and went for some quality volume instead.
So last weekend I went Press, Press, Pull, Pull and this weekend I gonna try an alternating approach and see how this feels.

- BP
90kgx5x5 [Weight felt light, plan to move up 2,5kg each session]
-ss DB cleans
10kgx?x5
- Dips
20kgx8x3

Had really bad upper back tightness so I did some pressing assistance (flies, pushups, Pushdowns, some more dips etc.) instead of the planned upperbody pulling.
Gonna do the Pullups and rows today instead (tightness is gone).
Pouch is outstandingly nice to me at the moment so my diet is pretty good and my energylevels are high. Bodyfat is on its way down to "summershape" :icon_chee while strengthlevels are increasing. Right ankle has improved a lot the last two weeks. Doesn't really hurt anymore in normal activities like walking up and down stairs. Still feels kind of numb though. As expected it is very likely not possible to mobilize the left ankle without surgery. But this shouldn't be to big of deal and was expected. So:
Good times.

- BP
92,5kgx5x5
- other upper body pressing stuff

The upper back cramp I wrote about last log entry was a relly bad one that pissed me off for days. Not sure what happened there. Tested my ankle today - Not quite there but much better. I am starting to hope that I might be able to play some bball this summer with a healthy ankle. We will see...

- Upper back fizzle with lots of weighted pullups jizzle

For some reason I am getting leaner every day atm. I try to avoid this by eating a lot of chocolate - doesn't work. Body just wants to look good naked this summer. So I guess I gonna let him.

- BP worked up to 100kgx6 [8 reps is the old PR. Close.]

- other stuff like weigthed pullups

Missed logging quite a lot of workouts as I am very busy atm.
I am lifting once per week at the moment. Benching and weighted pullups. During the week I do mainly bodyweightstuff like Pullup, pushups and practicing lots of advanced stuff like back lever and other gymnastics stuff. Ankle is still killing me so still no squatting. But once it is finally healed up it is gonna be bp, weighted pullup and squat once a week.
Final exams for this semester are just arround the corner and there is advanced statistics in the mix this time (uagh!).
So lifting is not a primary focus atm.
Pouch is not doing that good but ok.
Can't wait for the exams to be over and a great summer to begin.

Installed a sling trainer in the weightroom this week.
sling-trainer-product03.jpg

Looks similar to this one but with real grips instead of slings. Hung it high -> pretty much like rings. I am working towards an iron cross on this one now.
So my list of things I hope to accomplish this year:

- Get the ankle back to health and start squatting and olylifting again
- Bench >130kg
- Be able to do a perfect backlever
- Be able to do an ironcross

"Sling trainer" is some kind of suspension training thing, I assume?

Yes originally it is meant for such stuff but I just installed it high up and use it like rings.

- BP up to 120kgx1 then 100kgx5x3 [130kg+ shouldn'T be too far away]
ss
- Pullups tons of sets of 3 with 30kg (66lbs) added, all nice and smooth

- Some arm stuff

Will see how often I am able to make it to the gym this week to spend some more time in the "rings". I am actually not too far a way from an iron cross and am thinking that especially now at the "beginning" I am good for some fast progress.
I really enjoy training this way a lot (gymnastics stuff combined with some weights)
and am feeling great and not crushed and tired despite training hard while taking two antibiotics at the same time. Once I am able to add in some weekly squatting I will be absolutelly happy.

I am in all out learning mode at the moment.
I benched and did some pullups last sunday.
Did quite a lot of doubles with 110kg on the bench and lots of sets with one plate (20kg) on the pullups. Best set was one smooth set for 9 reps.
During the week as a highlight I did one set for 23 reps with bodyweight on my home pullup bar. This is pretty much a rep PR. But I guess I am fairly light at the moment.
Anyway... the ringtraining really pays off big times.
I think for a grappler the combinartion of some heavy and explosive stuff with weights and lots of this static gymnastics strength stuff should be a perfect training.
I always felt that the strentgh from the lifting helped me in grappling for the takedowns and in "dynmaic situations". But lots of times grappling is all about static pressure. And in those situations it is all about isometric contractions in the right muscles. So you need to be able to isometrically contract exactlly the muscles you want which requires good muscle controll.
And you train exactlly this when doing ringwork, backlever, handstand, L-hold and so on.
Well... I guess we will see once I make it back to grappling, which will happen once I have the time and the is pouch inflamtion free without me having to take antibiotics.
Which could be ayntime from the close future to never.
And now... back to my psychology books.

- BP
90kgx9/90x7/90x7/90x5/90x5

ss

- Pullups
40kgx2x4

- "Rings"

Good workout.

- BP 100kgx5/4/3/3/3 [was in the rings the day before and am right in between exams, so this was an ok performance]

- Close grip 80kgx5x3

- Benchpulls
80kgx10x6

- BP some reps and sets with 100kg

- Incline DB 3 sets

- Ringstuff

- Pushups

Short 'n' sweet.

Back