I will be having a Skype technical Interview for a new job later

When I had mine, I focused on talking to the camera instead of talking to the screen. That way it looked like I was talking to them instead of looking down.
Super smart.

Also, if you're using a laptop. Place it on a high platform so the camera is looking at your face more straight on rather than looking up at you.

When your camera is looking up at too much of an angle it makes your face look egg shaped, you look fatter, and they can see up your nose. It's all around less attractive.

Also, choose a room where the background is clean. And stack the subconscious deck in your favor by placing some objects in the frame that say "huge tech nerd" if you have any objects like that. Huge dual monitors, An ergonomic keyboard, a very nearly organized rack of computer parts or networking stuff... Maybe that old cantennae you made from a Pringles can.

Make sure the interviewer can't see you googling the answers to his questions in another window.

and make sure you dont look like former fellow sherdogger Ender..
MeComputer.jpg

I strongly suggest forwarding an invite to the Skype connection here and allowing all fellow sherdoggers to log in and be character references for you.

It is pretty much a slam dunk that with a bunch of sherdoggers on the call you will nail that job.

Stream it on twitch and post the link up here

We can help answer questions in the comments chat box lol

suit and tie up top but go commando down below.

suit and tie up top but go commando down below.
Then stand up and walk off at the end of interview with Skype still running. Helps to be swinging meat and have a semi so it’s full and not in hiding to help show dominance.

lmao that's what I just did. Executing my fast hands typing and alt-tabbing for shit

How would they possibly not hear you typing? And wouldn’t there be an awkward pause between the time they asked you and when your eyes darted around the screen looking for the answer you were obviously reading?

How would they not know you were doing that?

This is going to be my first time being interviewed via Skype or any virtual stuff.
What are the things I should do or prepare? How is it different from an actual face to face interview?

Anyone knows what questions are being asked for a technical interview as a Developer?

I've done a ton of this as well as whiteboard and panel interviews. All are absolutely shitty, however I've learned just to take a breath and speak slowly and clearly and I find after the first minute I warm up.

I haven't read whole thread so I'm not sure what type of developer so kind of hard to say what they will be asking.

I'd be afraid potential employer has some Skype backdoor to search my computer for all the nude pictures.

How would they possibly not hear you typing? And wouldn’t there be an awkward pause between the time they asked you and when your eyes darted around the screen looking for the answer you were obviously reading?

How would they not know you were doing that?
Luckily, it was only a Skype audio call.

there were questions that I really got confused and had no idea, i had no way to go but search on Google, and I just started to not care whether they hear my typing or not... while I do some tricks like, "can you repeat the question please", that's when i start looking and reading for the answers, and when I act like I'm thinking "hmmm...." i am not trying to come up with the answer and build the sentences in my mind.

Dress just like you would for an interview.
Make sure you have your place in order, you don't want them to think you're a slob.
Test your mic, cam, noise levels and lighting before.

Luckily, it was only a Skype audio call.

there were questions that I really got confused and had no idea, i had no way to go but search on Google, and I just started to not care whether they hear my typing or not... while I do some tricks like, "can you repeat the question please", that's when i start looking and reading for the answers, and when I act like I'm thinking "hmmm...." i am not trying to come up with the answer and build the sentences in my mind.

I’m guessing you didn’t get the job.

Just got done with 3 F2F interviews today, 2 interviewers being Japanese who can barely speak English. Strangest duo of interviews I ever had.

The head dude barely asked anything and I had to guess what he really wants to ask. Very strange mannerisms and idiosyncrasies, I don't know if I got through properly with both of them, especially the latter. I would say something and he would giggle as if he farted and was embarassed about it.

I got the sense he was trying to tell me that I am not a good fit for the company but not sure.

Back