I watched "The Usual Suspects" for the first time last night (spoilers)

I always hate talking about this movie because people like it so much and i think it's dumb as hell. It's not bad, but it's not very good to begin with...and then the twist is so, so dumb.

I always hate talking about this movie because people like it so much and i think it's dumb as hell. It's not bad, but it's not very good to begin with...and then the twist is so, so dumb.

I don't love it and I don't hate it.. one of those movies that I'll stop and watch no matter what point its at while flipping through channels but never bother to throw on myself

in my opinion knowing the ending kills at least 50% of the enjoyment of the movie... I saw it the first time without knowing the ending and yes it was a completely HOLY FUCKING SHIT moment

I don't love it and I don't hate it.. one of those movies that I'll stop and watch no matter what point its at while flipping through channels but never bother to throw on myself

Like The Boondock Saints, it's a no-brainer for someone in their late teens or early 20s. I don't remember how old i was when i saw it, but too old I'm sure. I didn't think anything about the end was smart or cool.

Like The Boondock Saints, it's a no-brainer for someone in their late teens or early 20s. I don't remember how old i was when i saw it, but too old I'm sure. I didn't think anything about the end was smart or cool.

Actually, Boondock Saints is one film I can do without, never saw the appeal of that flick

Actually, Boondock Saints is one film I can do without, never saw the appeal of that flick

I see the appeal, but it's crappy. Usual Suspects is definitely better, but they are both tailored to the same sort of movie fan. Old Boy and Fight Club are a few others.

I couldn't stand that flick.
One of the most overrated pieces of crap I've ever seen.

I wouldn't say I found it to be crap, but then again I can't say it has much replay value either.

I see the appeal, but it's crappy. Usual Suspects is definitely better, but they are both tailored to the same sort of movie fan. Old Boy and Fight Club are a few others.

I don't know if I'd put Fight Club in that box, I can see at a glance why some people would, but I think Fight Club has more broad appeal than the ones we're talking about overall.

I couldn't stand the part in Boondock Saints where Willem Dafoe replays the shootout scene.

I don't know if I'd put Fight Club in that box, I can see at a glance why some people would, but I think Fight Club has more broad appeal than the ones we're talking about overall.

I remember thinking it looked so stupid, and then it came out and everyone promised it was really good. I loved it, and while it's held up mostly, i don't like it nearly as much now.

I would definitely put it in that box, and while that box generally isn't for me, it doesn't mean all those movies suck. Fight Club has broader appeal because it's well made.

I remember thinking it looked so stupid, and then it came out and everyone promised it was really good. I loved it, and while it's held up mostly, i don't like it nearly as much now.

I would definitely put it in that box, and while that box generally isn't for me, it doesn't mean all those movies suck. Fight Club has broader appeal because it's well made.

Yeah, I like Finchers style of directing -he is very good at telling a story. I remember thinking Fight Club was going to be dumb when it came out myself but ended up really enjoying it. Same goes for the movie 'Snatch'

Yeah, I like Finchers style of directing -he is very good at telling a story. I remember thinking Fight Club was going to be dumb when it came out myself but ended up really enjoying it. Same goes for the movie 'Snatch'

Snatch was one i was dying to see after Fight Club. I loved it when i saw it. Think it's okay now. Haven't rewatched Lock Stock in forever, but i always preferred it slightly to Snatch.

Always felt like that movie was overrated. Good, but not as great as some make it out to be.

Finally saw a bit of this movie recently after all these years. I thought it was terrible. Shame too given its awesome cast

i remember seeing it for the first time when it came out and thinking it was the greatest movie i had seen. after many years, I realized the whole build up was just for the 10 minute monologue/reveal. i'm just glad it wasn't a 4 hour movie like Spartacus.

Yeah OP you only say that because you knew the spoilers. Everyone who watched that movie doesnt suspect its him because the movie itself makes it seem like its impossible for it to be him because hes hiding behind ropes.. in two different scenes.

I just watched this movie last night as well and my mind was thoroughly blown. When it was Keaton my mind was blown, and then when it was Verbal my mind was even more blown.

The movie itself wasnt that "great" but it just goes to show how important endings are.

The ending I thought was fairly predictable. Maybe I have just seen too many twist movie endings over the years and I first saw this in 2003. I saw it coming about 3/4s of the way through the movie and knew I had it right towards the end of the ship scenes.

Anyways, it is still a great movie and very rewatchable. Maybe it just seemed more obvious to me for some reason. Plenty of other movies I didn't see coming when other people said they were predictable, so maybe this was like that for me.

The only problem I have with this movie is the plot holes.
First of all Verbal is caught doing petty crimes like fraud, which is not only beneath his level, but stupid getting caught considering he is a criminal mastermind from Turkey or Hungary or whatever.

Secondly, the whole goddamn point was to assassinate a guy who could identify him? Why would he go on his own mission, when he supposedly runs an organization? Did Verbal just make up that he runs an organization?
How did Verbal 'win'? He went through all that trouble and now the whole world knows his ID. So now he has to disappear, same thing as if the whole movie didnt start in the first place.

Back