I was wrong

Grappling Rules

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have to admit, I was not impressed with Gus coming into this fight. I really believed he was Jones' weakest opponent yet in a title defense and that he only got the shot because Jones had run through all the legitimate challengers. I thought it would be an absolute massacre.

But Gus surprised me with unbelievable takedown defense (and ability to get up when taken down), along with some very good striking. He forced Jones into a kickboxing match, and although Jones clearly won (and almost finished Gus in the 4th), it was easily his toughest fight yet.

So credit where credit is due: Gus is a legit contender. I was wrong about him, and I apologize to his fans for saying that this fight would not be competitive.

I have to admit, I was not impressed with Gus coming into this fight. I really believed he was Jones' weakest opponent yet in a title defense and that he only got the shot because Jones had run through all the legitimate challengers. I thought it would be an absolute massacre.

But Gus surprised me with unbelievable takedown defense (and ability to get up when taken down), along with some very good striking. He forced Jones into a kickboxing match, and although Jones clearly won (and almost finished Gus in the 4th), it was easily his toughest fight yet.

So credit where credit is due: Gus is a legit contender. I was wrong about him, and I apologize to his fans for saying that this fight would not be competitive.

You are a rare person among Sherdoggers and I commend you for manning up. I wasn't sure if Gus would win, but I certainly would not have been surprised if he had. He gave Bones all he could fucking handle for sure.

I had the same opinion as you on Gustafsson before the fight. But now I'm a Gustafsson fan and definitely feel he deserves that 12 pounds of gold around his waist.

I had the same opinion as you on Gustafsson before the fight. But now I'm a Gustafsson fan and definitely feel he deserves that 12 pounds of gold around his waist.

No he doesn't. He just lost.....clearly

No he doesn't. He just lost.....clearly

No he didn't. He just lost... a fight that could have gone either way.

Anybody who doesn't realize how close that fight was is bias. Nothing clear about it.

Don't know about "clearly won" but cudos for the hat tip. Classy.

clearly? Gus should get a rematch. dont care about the folks who say they hate all the rematches that kid won that fight 3-2 in my eyes though i will concede that maybe i was just not used to seeing jones hit as much as he was.

I'm guilty too, completely overlooked him. I scored the fight 48-47 Gus but 3 of the rounds could have gone either way. I rarely want to see an unsuccessful challenger get an immediate rematch but this is definitely an exception.

Back