I was impressed with Amosov

Well, they're better but more than that I'd really just say different. Usman doesn't shoot that often for a traditional takedown, and even when he does, he's just setting up the clinch. That's why his takedown% is low on paper. It's not actually low, he's just looking for something different. He wants to engage in the clinch. From there he might eventually go for a takedown, might not. If anything, reminds me the most of Askren in that they just want to grab you. Storley could probably learn from them there, he shoots straight on a lot, when maybe getting closer and getting some sort of a collar tie or underhooks would be better. Usman has improved significantly over the years at striking, but even then I wouldn't overstate its importance, he doesn't want to fight there if he can avoid it. Colby is actually well rounded, as in he likes to strike and has good technique but always lacked power. If Amosov keeps up the lack of power he'll become Colby. Colby is more traditional in his wrestling, he shoots a lot, a lot more straight shots, if he goes to the wall he wants to take you off of it (good high crotch), he learned the clinch game out of necessity but I think he prefers not to use it. And I think most wrestlers who are not Usman don't prefer that. I feel like you stay in the clinch only if your opponent's TDD is good enough to where the returns on takedowns are diminishing (but not so good that they can escape). That's why I'm not so worried about Amosov or Storley not having that much clinch work in their resumes. I don't think they've ever faced a challenge that could stop them going immediately to the ground. If they want to fight in the UFC some day they will have to, because UFC fighters have better TDD. A lot of UFC vets aren't good wrestlers but they are seasoned fighters and practiced TDD enough so that they force these "neutral" positions. But it's a similar motion to things they already do, I think if they don't already have it in the back pocket, it's not too hard to learn.

Yeah, I do see potential in Storley, his wrestling is very good, but he needs to work on his hands so he's not so one dimensional and he'll then probably find it easier to implement his wrestling better.

He reminds me a little bit of what Lance Palmer used to be like before he developed his hands more.

Yeah, I do see potential in Storley, his wrestling is very good, but he needs to work on his hands so he's not so one dimensional and he'll then probably find it easier to implement his wrestling better.

He reminds me a little bit of what Lance Palmer used to be like before he developed his hands more.
Yeah, for the purported improvements that he kept promising the press his hands had...bit of a bummer.

I'd really just like to see him strike the way Usman did at the same age. A lot of straights and jabs, like safe, reliable strikes. Storley, whenever he was trying to strike, was like jumping, frolicking, all over the place with these big loopy overhands, it was very wtf. I know he promised his fans that his striking had improved so much, maybe he was looking for a knockout, but...baby steps... Because after this fight I still don't know if he has a reliable jab.

Yeah, for the purported improvements that he kept promising the press his hands had...bit of a bummer.

I'd really just like to see him strike the way Usman did at the same age. A lot of straights and jabs, like safe, reliable strikes. Storley, whenever he was trying to strike, was like jumping, frolicking, all over the place with these big loopy overhands, it was very wtf. I know he promised his fans that his striking had improved so much, maybe he was looking for a knockout, but...baby steps... Because after this fight I still don't know if he has a reliable jab.

Yeah, you would think someone working with Hooft would have better hands tbh

Yeah, you would think someone working with Hooft would have better hands tbh
Haha yeah. We'll see how he develops from here. I think just taking baby steps as a striker would be really nice, practicing combos and technique. And the thing is I'm sure that they did practice that stuff, because he spent hours in the gym...doing something. Somehow it just all went out the window the moment he stepped into the cage. I think some of that is the stage. He said in interviews before the fight that he thought if he beat Amosov he should get the title shot. So he really believed this was his shot and perhaps in the excitement of the moment he got overenthusiastic and forgot his training. Weirdly enough I've also always perceived him to have an attitude problem as well, so I want to see how he takes this first loss emotionally.

I'm sure he's beside himself with rage, but if he can calm himself down, go back to the drawing board, and then try to implement striking basics in his next fight he'll be fine.

Amosov is amazing, there's really no debating that.

I was more impressed tonight with Storley than anything. He did way better than I thought he would. Because I knew Amosov was good. But Storley fought him hard, certainly much harder than Ed Ruth, and he earned the split nature of the decision. I thought Amosov had a very strong criticism of Storley coming into the fight which was that "his wrestling looks so good because he hasn't fought anyone you'd expect to be able to stop his wrestling." And that's kinda fair. I mean EJ Brooks was a D1 wrestler, Pascu is a very versatile vet, Buckley is a talented fighter, but he hadn't faced that elite tier wrestling that you'd think would actually give him a problem or even overcome him. And Storley went head to head with Amosov tonight strength on strength and basically matched him when it comes strictly to wrestling. It speaks a lot to what Storley can do. He can wrestle any WW on the planet. I think Usman and Covington, they're definitely on the same level as Amosov and Storley, again, strictly speaking in terms of wrestling, they're definitely not a full level better. So he wrestled a top 3 wrestling WW in the World today and matched him? That speaks very highly of Logan's wrestling abilities. Obviously, the holes in his game showed today. But if he was better at even just casual striking on the feet, mixing in some leg kicks, mixing in some jabs, maybe he wins the fight.

I just don't think anyone could make him work that hard, at least anyone who doesn't have as absolutely insane wrestling as Storley. Like maybe Usman, I could see Usman pushing him that much. But tonight's fight, it almost didn't look like a fight, it almost looked like a 15 minute compilation of folkstyle wrestling highlights. It was crazy. It looked to me like he gave up his back because he was literally on all fours panting from exhaustion.

Amosov-Gracie is actually a fascinating matchup because Gracie is pretty good on the feet. Amosov can definitely prevent Gracie from taking him down, that should be no trouble. But you almost wonder if Amosov would risk taking Gracie down just because Amosov might not win on the feet. It will take something very technical from Gracie to beat Amosov, Amosov isn't going to merely give his back like this fight, there's no way Gracie can push him that hard. But like, a really good striker/jiu jitsu guy is kinda the counter to a wrestler. He can do the Usman clinch strategy, maybe that works, but it's an interesting matchup.
Storley impressed the hell out of me, too. He fared way better than I though he would, particularly after seeing Ruth get outclassed by Amosov rather easily. Storley needs to hide his take downs behind his strikes. He does not need to become a proficient striker or go for KOs, he needs to use his striking to set up the take downs. If he doesnt, he will make the same mistake Crutchmer made last fight, which cost him the decision. He should not abandon his base, he is a wrestler and will always be a wrestler. He just needs to mix it up a little bit more so he can set up his take downs a little bit better.
Strangely enough, I think Amosov has the best chance at beating Lima but I think Gracie is a bad match up for Amosov. This WW division just got very interesting with Amosov cementing himself as a legitimate threat to Lima and Storley finally taking a step up in competition. Lets see if Joey Davis takes a step forward next Thursday. Had Crutchmer won his last fight he would have also spiced things up a little bit more, too.

Bellator's WW divison is getting up there. Fitch retired but you still have Lima, Amosov, D. Anderson, Berkhamov, Crutchmer, Daley, J. Davies, Neiman, Enkamp, Homasi, Houston, J.Jackson, Koreshkov, Larkin, MVP, Mota, Storley, and Willis. Plus, up and coming guys like Burlinson, Chokheli, Faraldo, Gnusariev, Danis, Gozali, and Smotrisky. Very diverse in terms of a lot of strikers and a lot of grapplers.

Lima vs Amosov, Gracie vs MVP, Larkin vs J.Jackson, Koreshkov vs Berkhamov, Storley vs Derek Anderson, Crutchmer vs Danis, Enkamp vs Houston, Homasi vs Jaleel Willis next, please.

Last edited:
Bellator's WW divison is getting up there. Fitch retired but you still have Lima, Amosov, D. Anderson, Berkhamov, Crutchmer, Daley, J. Davies, Neiman, Enkamp, Homasi, Houston, J.Jackson, Koreshkov, Larkin, MVP, Mota, Storley, and Willis. Plus, up and coming guys like Burlinson, Chokheli, Faraldo, Gnusariev, Danis, Gozali, and Smotrisky. Very diverse in terms of a lot of strikers and a lot of grapplers.

Lima vs Amosov, Gracie vs MVP, Larkin vs J.Jackson, Koreshkov vs Berkhamov, Storley vs Derek Anderson, Crutchmer vs Danis, Enkamp vs Houston, Homasi vs Jaleel Willis next, please.
Larkin was ranked top 5 in UFC and he's struggling hard with the WW contenders in Bellator.
Bendo also moved up to WW (he was ranked top 10 in UFC @ WW for beating Thatch and Masvidal) and Khabilov is listed as WW. I guess you could add those 2 to your list.
You also left out: Bobby Lee, Jordan Mein, Anzai, Crawford, Reece etc.

Storley impressed the hell out of me, too. He fared way better than I though he would, particularly after seeing Ruth get outclassed by Amosov rather easily. Storley needs to hide his take downs behind his strikes. He does not need to become a proficient striker or go for KOs, he needs to use his striking to set up the take downs. If he doesnt, he will make the same mistake Crutchmer made last fight, which cost him the decision. He should not abandon his base, he is a wrestler and will always be a wrestler. He just needs to mix it up a little bit more so he can set up his take downs a little bit better.
Strangely enough, I think Amosov has the best chance at beating Lima but I think Gracie is a bad match up for Amosov. This WW division just got very interesting with Amosov cementing himself as a legitimate threat to Lima and Storley finally taking a step up in competition. Lets see if Joey Davis takes a step forward next Thursday. Had Crutchmer won his last fight he would have also spiced things up a little bit more, too.
Yeah, I agree. I think Storley just needs to get better at throwing jabs, and then the pump shot overhand strike, pump strike into shot action.

I think Crutchmer fell victim to a different phenomena though. He definitely came out looking to strike, he had no real intention to wrestle, only one shot I can remember in the whole fight, but I think he greatly overestimated his striking abilities. Hitting pads and hitting people are not the same. He kept throwing single punches and then surprise pikachu face when it doesn't do anything. He needs to throw combinations, which is easy against the pads and hard against people.

Storlely is someone I'm fairly certain won't try to abandon his identity, which is good. Crutchmer...I think he's very tempted to. And some fighters can, like Gaethje did. I think Joey Davis can also transition into becoming a well-rounded fighter. Jon Jones did. I haven't seen that versatility, or to be frank athleticism, from Crutchmer yet. He's a shorter, stronger, portlier fighter, unlike those longer, more explosive fighters. Of course he's learning from DC, and DC is a similar body shape, but I think the difference in speed between HWs, LHWs and WWs is pretty big, it'll be hard to get away with some of the same shenanigans. I'm a massive Crutchmer fan, don't get me wrong, but I think he's really got to develop his style in the next few fights. Even if he improves enough to win a rematch striking with Lachinov...there are some killer WW strikers out there, guys who are 6', 6'2" wingspans and hit like trucks. Crutchmer is 5'8" with a 5'8" wingspan. Even Storley is 5'9" with a 6' wingspan. Crutchmer needs to get good at shooting and setting up high volume of shots with his strikes, or he needs to get good at forcing clinches along the wall, clinch boxing. If he wants to be primarily a striker who occasionally mixes in takedowns but focuses on striking...like against regional fighters, or maybe like lower-ranked fighters in the big promotions, that might work. But if you really wanted to be a contender someday and you think "yeah I'll stand in front of Douglas Lima or Wonderboy Thompson" like good luck with that. Some realism is needed.

Amosov is amazing, there's really no debating that.

I was more impressed tonight with Storley than anything. He did way better than I thought he would. Because I knew Amosov was good. But Storley fought him hard, certainly much harder than Ed Ruth, and he earned the split nature of the decision. I thought Amosov had a very strong criticism of Storley coming into the fight which was that "his wrestling looks so good because he hasn't fought anyone you'd expect to be able to stop his wrestling." And that's kinda fair. I mean EJ Brooks was a D1 wrestler, Pascu is a very versatile vet, Buckley is a talented fighter, but he hadn't faced that elite tier wrestling that you'd think would actually give him a problem or even overcome him. And Storley went head to head with Amosov tonight strength on strength and basically matched him when it comes strictly to wrestling. It speaks a lot to what Storley can do. He can wrestle any WW on the planet. I think Usman and Covington, they're definitely on the same level as Amosov and Storley, again, strictly speaking in terms of wrestling, they're definitely not a full level better. So he wrestled a top 3 wrestling WW in the World today and matched him? That speaks very highly of Logan's wrestling abilities. Obviously, the holes in his game showed today. But if he was better at even just casual striking on the feet, mixing in some leg kicks, mixing in some jabs, maybe he wins the fight.

I just don't think anyone could make him work that hard, at least anyone who doesn't have as absolutely insane wrestling as Storley. Like maybe Usman, I could see Usman pushing him that much. But tonight's fight, it almost didn't look like a fight, it almost looked like a 15 minute compilation of folkstyle wrestling highlights. It was crazy. It looked to me like he gave up his back because he was literally on all fours panting from exhaustion.

Amosov-Gracie is actually a fascinating matchup because Gracie is pretty good on the feet. Amosov can definitely prevent Gracie from taking him down, that should be no trouble. But you almost wonder if Amosov would risk taking Gracie down just because Amosov might not win on the feet. It will take something very technical from Gracie to beat Amosov, Amosov isn't going to merely give his back like this fight, there's no way Gracie can push him that hard. But like, a really good striker/jiu jitsu guy is kinda the counter to a wrestler. He can do the Usman clinch strategy, maybe that works, but it's an interesting matchup.
brb reviewing that rant on goodreads

Yeah, I agree. I think Storley just needs to get better at throwing jabs, and then the pump shot overhand strike, pump strike into shot action.

I think Crutchmer fell victim to a different phenomena though. He definitely came out looking to strike, he had no real intention to wrestle, only one shot I can remember in the whole fight, but I think he greatly overestimated his striking abilities. Hitting pads and hitting people are not the same. He kept throwing single punches and then surprise pikachu face when it doesn't do anything. He needs to throw combinations, which is easy against the pads and hard against people.

Storlely is someone I'm fairly certain won't try to abandon his identity, which is good. Crutchmer...I think he's very tempted to. And some fighters can, like Gaethje did. I think Joey Davis can also transition into becoming a well-rounded fighter. Jon Jones did. I haven't seen that versatility, or to be frank athleticism, from Crutchmer yet. He's a shorter, stronger, portlier fighter, unlike those longer, more explosive fighters. Of course he's learning from DC, and DC is a similar body shape, but I think the difference in speed between HWs, LHWs and WWs is pretty big, it'll be hard to get away with some of the same shenanigans. I'm a massive Crutchmer fan, don't get me wrong, but I think he's really got to develop his style in the next few fights. Even if he improves enough to win a rematch striking with Lachinov...there are some killer WW strikers out there, guys who are 6', 6'2" wingspans and hit like trucks. Crutchmer is 5'8" with a 5'8" wingspan. Even Storley is 5'9" with a 6' wingspan. Crutchmer needs to get good at shooting and setting up high volume of shots with his strikes, or he needs to get good at forcing clinches along the wall, clinch boxing. If he wants to be primarily a striker who occasionally mixes in takedowns but focuses on striking...like against regional fighters, or maybe like lower-ranked fighters in the big promotions, that might work. But if you really wanted to be a contender someday and you think "yeah I'll stand in front of Douglas Lima or Wonderboy Thompson" like good luck with that. Some realism is needed.
If Crutchmer doesnt go back to his wrestling base he will have a very short lived MMA career. He is not a striker and he will never be one, he just needs to adapt his striking to set up his takedowns. I dont think he was necessarily outstruck by Latchinov because, at least IMO, Crutchmer won that fight. But his game plan of striking and disregarding his wrestling was horrible. He vastly underestimated his opponent and overestimated his striking skills. I bet he thought this was an easy fight that he could win without using his wrestling, and test his striking. It horribly backfired on him, that was just poor fight IQ. Im not sure if he was trying to prove something or what the deal was but if had stuck to what he knows he would have probably won that fight comfortably.
Hopefully we see Joey Davis showcase his wrestling skills tomorrow and doesnt overcomplicate matters. Davis, IMO, has the most potential out of the 3 WW wrestling prospects at WW (Crutchmer, Storley, and Davis).

Coker mentioned in the pre Bellator 253 press conference that Lima could potentially face next MVP, Larkin, or Gracie. Did he miss last Amosov's fight or wtf? MVP has been fighting bums since getting KOd by Lima and somehow Coker thinks that fight makes sense next? Larkin makes more sense, but hasnt fought in a year, the dude needs another W before facing Lima. Gracie makes more sense but he is only in a 1 W winning streak, he needs at least one more to demand a title shot.
Did Coker forget about Amosov or will he deny him the next title shot? He makes the most sense, 3 W in 2020 and is the one who has looked the best.

Coker mentioned in the pre Bellator 253 press conference that Lima could potentially face next MVP, Larkin, or Gracie. Did he miss last Amosov's fight or wtf? MVP has been fighting bums since getting KOd by Lima and somehow Coker thinks that fight makes sense next? Larkin makes more sense, but hasnt fought in a year, the dude needs another W before facing Lima. Gracie makes more sense but he is only in a 1 W winning streak, he needs at least one more to demand a title shot.
Did Coker forget about Amosov or will he deny him the next title shot? He makes the most sense, 3 W in 2020 and is the one who has looked the best.

The only issue with Amosov is he hasn't actually had really high quality opposition yet. That's not his fault, but I'd like to see him fight one of Larkin, Koreshkov, Neiman or even MVP before getting a shot.

I wouldn't be mad if he got a shot, though.

If Crutchmer doesnt go back to his wrestling base he will have a very short lived MMA career. He is not a striker and he will never be one, he just needs to adapt his striking to set up his takedowns. I dont think he was necessarily outstruck by Latchinov because, at least IMO, Crutchmer won that fight. But his game plan of striking and disregarding his wrestling was horrible. He vastly underestimated his opponent and overestimated his striking skills. I bet he thought this was an easy fight that he could win without using his wrestling, and test his striking. It horribly backfired on him, that was just poor fight IQ. Im not sure if he was trying to prove something or what the deal was but if had stuck to what he knows he would have probably won that fight comfortably.
Hopefully we see Joey Davis showcase his wrestling skills tomorrow and doesnt overcomplicate matters. Davis, IMO, has the most potential out of the 3 WW wrestling prospects at WW (Crutchmer, Storley, and Davis).
Yeah, I think a lot of times fighters like to think/say dumb shit like "oh I'm looking to practice my striking this fight." Don't do that. If you can win one way, don't risk it by trying to learn something else new. Nothing is more important than the W. You'll get plenty of time to practice your striking down the line, particularly in fights where say your takedowns don't work. Or, you can practice your striking in sparring sessions. Instead, creating artificially difficult matches for yourself which could result in you taking Ls, which sets you further back in the timeline of your career, it's a truly awful idea. In fighting, you get 2, maybe 3 fights a year. If you lose a fight, as opposed to winning, it sets you back two fights, because you need to win once and then win again to be where you were at prior. So you could waste an entire year of your inevitably short fighting career, by nature of the sport. And Kyle is 27, he's not old but he's not so young that he can waste time. I also thought he probably won the fight. But neither fighter did any damage to the other fighter. It could have gone either way, and when I heard the decision, I wasn't happy, but I felt alright because, as a Crutchmer fan, I never want him to walk out of the ring after a fight like that and think "I did good enough to win." No. At most, your opponent did bad enough to lose. You certainly did not do good enough to win.

I think Amosov gets docked because he hasn't fought, not good but, basically old competition, competition that has gained somewhat of a name or reputation through time. I think the fighters he's beaten are better than the fighters with reputation, but those fighters are protected constantly from challenges underneath for the sake of the brand. I hope that he stands up for himself in negotiations for his next fight, and if they continue to try to slow walk his development, even leave.

Yeah, I think a lot of times fighters like to think/say dumb shit like "oh I'm looking to practice my striking this fight." Don't do that. If you can win one way, don't risk it by trying to learn something else new. Nothing is more important than the W. You'll get plenty of time to practice your striking down the line, particularly in fights where say your takedowns don't work. Or, you can practice your striking in sparring sessions. Instead, creating artificially difficult matches for yourself which could result in you taking Ls, which sets you further back in the timeline of your career, it's a truly awful idea. In fighting, you get 2, maybe 3 fights a year. If you lose a fight, as opposed to winning, it sets you back two fights, because you need to win once and then win again to be where you were at prior. So you could waste an entire year of your inevitably short fighting career, by nature of the sport. And Kyle is 27, he's not old but he's not so young that he can waste time. I also thought he probably won the fight. But neither fighter did any damage to the other fighter. It could have gone either way, and when I heard the decision, I wasn't happy, but I felt alright because, as a Crutchmer fan, I never want him to walk out of the ring after a fight like that and think "I did good enough to win." No. At most, your opponent did bad enough to lose. You certainly did not do good enough to win.

I think Amosov gets docked because he hasn't fought, not good but, basically old competition, competition that has gained somewhat of a name or reputation through time. I think the fighters he's beaten are better than the fighters with reputation, but those fighters are protected constantly from challenges underneath for the sake of the brand. I hope that he stands up for himself in negotiations for his next fight, and if they continue to try to slow walk his development, even leave.
Hope to see Crutchmer use his wrestling soon because he was in a very similar path to Logan Storley. It think he was a couple of fights away from facing top competition and now he is set back a whole year, like you said.

Amosov needs a title shot or title eliminator, because it will be bullshit if MVP gets the shot first.

The only issue with Amosov is he hasn't actually had really high quality opposition yet. That's not his fault, but I'd like to see him fight one of Larkin, Koreshkov, Neiman or even MVP before getting a shot.

I wouldn't be mad if he got a shot, though.
True, but at least he has faced better opposition than MVP. He is way mlre deserving than MVP. Can you imagine what Amosov would have done to Ross Houston? Wouldnt be mad if Larkin or Gracie get the shot next. Larkin would be a fun fight bit Gracie is not ready, yet.

True, but at least he has faced better opposition than MVP. He is way mlre deserving than MVP. Can you imagine what Amosov would have done to Ross Houston? Wouldnt be mad if Larkin or Gracie get the shot next. Larkin would be a fun fight bit Gracie is not ready, yet.

I actually don't think Ross Houston is that bad lol, Amosov should beat him more impressively than MVP did though.

Agree MVP has done nothing to come close to deserving it. I'd like to see Neiman, just because Larkin has already lost to Lima so it'd be a fresh matchup.

I actually don't think Ross Houston is that bad lol, Amosov should beat him more impressively than MVP did though.

Agree MVP has done nothing to come close to deserving it. I'd like to see Neiman, just because Larkin has already lost to Lima so it'd be a fresh matchup.
Yeah, Houston is pretty decent althlugh largely unproven. I think Amosov finishes him. There is no way in hell Houston takes Amosov down, i think Amosov takes him down and GnP him.

Yeah, Houston is pretty decent althlugh largely unproven. I think Amosov finishes him. There is no way in hell Houston takes Amosov down, i think Amosov takes him down and GnP him.

Yeah, I think so too. He's very tough though, that Dalby fight was an absolute bloodbath and he was still going for it.

Lima vs Amosov is such a gimme fight to make and easy to market. Lima retains and he gets a boost from beating a formerly undefeated fighter. Amosov wins and he's an undefeated champion and beat someone who is highly regarded.

You keep putting off a title shot for Amosov and you run the risk of him losing and the easiest marketable fight is gone.

Back