I was impressed with Amosov

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The guy is an elite fighter l was impressed with his superb takedown defense against an elite wrestler. Yeah he gassed but those grappling exchanges would tire anyone out

The guy is an elite fighter l was impressed with his superb takedown defense against an elite wrestler. Yeah he gassed but those grappling exchanges would tire anyone out
His grappling is world class. Striking could use some work but his grappling is on another level.

Striking could use some work but his grappling is on another level.

The mechanics of his punches looked really good. Everything was delivered with real smoothness which really helped him when fighting while gassed. He just doesn't have the biggest pop in the world. And his defence seems to be based mostly around his footwork.

I guess you could also ask that he should have gone to the body more considering Logan's own fatigue.

The mechanics of his punches looked really good. Everything was delivered with real smoothness which really helped him when fighting while gassed. He just doesn't have the biggest pop in the world. And his defence seems to be based mostly around his footwork.

I guess you could also ask that he should have gone to the body more considering Logan's own fatigue.
Yes I’m hesitant to say he’s not ready yet because as we’ve seen with Khabib, sometimes your grappling is so good that your striking doesn’t need to be as amazing. This could be another case. I hope he gets a title shot.

I think one more fight and he's ready for a Title shot

His technique is great he has no problem landing his shots and he picks them well he just need to step in / come forward more, transfer more of his body into his shots.. and more importantly have the intention to hurt him. He very clearly doesn’t have the intention to destroy with his shots he needs that.

Combat sambo champion like khabib he 25-0. I see why people like to call him next khabib ....but lets face the facts. His wrestling grappling is really good, but Khabib is another stratosphere when it comes to grappling and even verity of takedowns

I'm impressed with him but Lima is a harder matchup for him than Usman

Last edited:
Lima will either break him or be suffocated

I really think you have to give him a title shot off of this fight, personally. He's earned it.

That said, dude needs to hire a conditioning coach, a dietician and work on that shit very seriously. His gas tank is a huge red flag on a fighter that otherwise has the total package.

Storly is superb at timming counter blast-doubles though. I think he didn't advance for very deliberate reasons.
Great point indeed, but regardless Amasov has shown this in prior fights and considering how he handled Logan wrastling it would have been nice to see him really drive knees into his body as he was clearly losing steam. Great card from Bellator tonight though

Does Amasov have the best TDD in MMA? My goodness, Ruth and Storley could not take him down. I would love to see Usman or Covington try and take him down, so far he is eating NCAA wrestlers for breakfast.

I really think you have to give him a title shot off of this fight, personally. He's earned it.

That said, dude needs to hire a conditioning coach, a dietician and work on that shit very seriously. His gas tank is a huge red flag on a fighter that otherwise has the total package.
His submission defense threw a red flag, too. It could be due to exhaustion but he gave his back rather easily and defended that RNC rather poorly. Someone like Neiman Gracie would have a field day with that.

Amosov is amazing, there's really no debating that.

I was more impressed tonight with Storley than anything. He did way better than I thought he would. Because I knew Amosov was good. But Storley fought him hard, certainly much harder than Ed Ruth, and he earned the split nature of the decision. I thought Amosov had a very strong criticism of Storley coming into the fight which was that "his wrestling looks so good because he hasn't fought anyone you'd expect to be able to stop his wrestling." And that's kinda fair. I mean EJ Brooks was a D1 wrestler, Pascu is a very versatile vet, Buckley is a talented fighter, but he hadn't faced that elite tier wrestling that you'd think would actually give him a problem or even overcome him. And Storley went head to head with Amosov tonight strength on strength and basically matched him when it comes strictly to wrestling. It speaks a lot to what Storley can do. He can wrestle any WW on the planet. I think Usman and Covington, they're definitely on the same level as Amosov and Storley, again, strictly speaking in terms of wrestling, they're definitely not a full level better. So he wrestled a top 3 wrestling WW in the World today and matched him? That speaks very highly of Logan's wrestling abilities. Obviously, the holes in his game showed today. But if he was better at even just casual striking on the feet, mixing in some leg kicks, mixing in some jabs, maybe he wins the fight.

His submission defense threw a red flag, too. It could be due to exhaustion but he gave his back rather easily and defended that RNC rather poorly. Someone like Neiman Gracie would have a field day with that.
I just don't think anyone could make him work that hard, at least anyone who doesn't have as absolutely insane wrestling as Storley. Like maybe Usman, I could see Usman pushing him that much. But tonight's fight, it almost didn't look like a fight, it almost looked like a 15 minute compilation of folkstyle wrestling highlights. It was crazy. It looked to me like he gave up his back because he was literally on all fours panting from exhaustion.

Amosov-Gracie is actually a fascinating matchup because Gracie is pretty good on the feet. Amosov can definitely prevent Gracie from taking him down, that should be no trouble. But you almost wonder if Amosov would risk taking Gracie down just because Amosov might not win on the feet. It will take something very technical from Gracie to beat Amosov, Amosov isn't going to merely give his back like this fight, there's no way Gracie can push him that hard. But like, a really good striker/jiu jitsu guy is kinda the counter to a wrestler. He can do the Usman clinch strategy, maybe that works, but it's an interesting matchup.

I'd like to see him against Koreshkov before a title shot. I think that's a good test of the areas I'm not sure about him in.

Neiman deserves the next shot imo.

Great fight. Ruth and Storley are huge back to back wins. Title shot earned in my book.

Amosov is amazing, there's really no debating that.

I was more impressed tonight with Storley than anything. He did way better than I thought he would. Because I knew Amosov was good. But Storley fought him hard, certainly much harder than Ed Ruth, and he earned the split nature of the decision. I thought Amosov had a very strong criticism of Storley coming into the fight which was that "his wrestling looks so good because he hasn't fought anyone you'd expect to be able to stop his wrestling." And that's kinda fair. I mean EJ Brooks was a D1 wrestler, Pascu is a very versatile vet, Buckley is a talented fighter, but he hadn't faced that elite tier wrestling that you'd think would actually give him a problem or even overcome him. And Storley went head to head with Amosov tonight strength on strength and basically matched him when it comes strictly to wrestling. It speaks a lot to what Storley can do. He can wrestle any WW on the planet. I think Usman and Covington, they're definitely on the same level as Amosov and Storley, again, strictly speaking in terms of wrestling, they're definitely not a full level better. So he wrestled a top 3 wrestling WW in the World today and matched him? That speaks very highly of Logan's wrestling abilities. Obviously, the holes in his game showed today. But if he was better at even just casual striking on the feet, mixing in some leg kicks, mixing in some jabs, maybe he wins the fight.

I just don't think anyone could make him work that hard, at least anyone who doesn't have as absolutely insane wrestling as Storley. Like maybe Usman, I could see Usman pushing him that much. But tonight's fight, it almost didn't look like a fight, it almost looked like a 15 minute compilation of folkstyle wrestling highlights. It was crazy. It looked to me like he gave up his back because he was literally on all fours panting from exhaustion.

Amosov-Gracie is actually a fascinating matchup because Gracie is pretty good on the feet. Amosov can definitely prevent Gracie from taking him down, that should be no trouble. But you almost wonder if Amosov would risk taking Gracie down just because Amosov might not win on the feet. It will take something very technical from Gracie to beat Amosov, Amosov isn't going to merely give his back like this fight, there's no way Gracie can push him that hard. But like, a really good striker/jiu jitsu guy is kinda the counter to a wrestler. He can do the Usman clinch strategy, maybe that works, but it's an interesting matchup.

The difference he would find against someone like Usman or Colby is that they are far less one dimensional than Storley. They blend their striking, clinching and wrestling really well and work upper body clinchwork really well too. Storley just shoots over and over again, he has a good shot so he gets away with it up to a certain level of comp, but he's essentially a poor man's Ben Askren, imo. It's easier to stop shots when they're all you have to really worry about and you know they're going to be coming constantly.

Amosov looked strong and only get better. Storley was a rough test, but his defensive wrestling was strong. However, Storley is still young in MMA, and he could use it better, by mixing his striking with it like Hellowwhostthat explained. Amosov is in my opinion the next GOAT of Bellator. If he manage to keep that O and beat others sharp contender.

The difference he would find against someone like Usman or Colby is that they are far less one dimensional than Storley. They blend their striking, clinching and wrestling really well and work upper body clinchwork really well too. Storley just shoots over and over again, he has a good shot so he gets away with it up to a certain level of comp, but he's essentially a poor man's Ben Askren, imo. It's easier to stop shots when they're all you have to really worry about and you know they're going to be coming constantly.
Well, they're better but more than that I'd really just say different. Usman doesn't shoot that often for a traditional takedown, and even when he does, he's just setting up the clinch. That's why his takedown% is low on paper. It's not actually low, he's just looking for something different. He wants to engage in the clinch. From there he might eventually go for a takedown, might not. If anything, reminds me the most of Askren in that they just want to grab you. Storley could probably learn from them there, he shoots straight on a lot, when maybe getting closer and getting some sort of a collar tie or underhooks would be better. Usman has improved significantly over the years at striking, but even then I wouldn't overstate its importance, he doesn't want to fight there if he can avoid it. Colby is actually well rounded, as in he likes to strike and has good technique but always lacked power. If Amosov keeps up the lack of power he'll become Colby. Colby is more traditional in his wrestling, he shoots a lot, a lot more straight shots, if he goes to the wall he wants to take you off of it (good high crotch), he learned the clinch game out of necessity but I think he prefers not to use it. And I think most wrestlers who are not Usman don't prefer that. I feel like you stay in the clinch only if your opponent's TDD is good enough to where the returns on takedowns are diminishing (but not so good that they can escape). That's why I'm not so worried about Amosov or Storley not having that much clinch work in their resumes. I don't think they've ever faced a challenge that could stop them going immediately to the ground. If they want to fight in the UFC some day they will have to, because UFC fighters have better TDD. A lot of UFC vets aren't good wrestlers but they are seasoned fighters and practiced TDD enough so that they force these "neutral" positions. But it's a similar motion to things they already do, I think if they don't already have it in the back pocket, it's not too hard to learn.

Back