I want to see JDS wrestle more.

yeah the guy with ko power in both hands with an advantage on the feet with every fight should wrestle guys like cain and stipe...yeah smart. Did you watch the JDS vs. Cain fights?

this
he is enough of a threat to everyone just standing up, his striking is almost flawless. He doenst need to wrestle. What he needs to improve is his movement - circling oponents instead of moving back - and also work some thay clinches/TDs for when opponents push him to the fence.

Just thought of this.

carwin-guillotine-jds-ufc-131.gif

JDS was in side control so he should have nothing but dang JDS looks like he was getting choked pretty good. lol

Yup a few more second and JDS would have gone to sleep:)

It also seems to me thatJDS just doesn't have good ground game. He looks very uncomfortable there.

you guys are completely misinterpreting what I was saying. I didnt say quit using his hands, I said add in wrestling and ground and pound. The guy is a physical freak. And as cooljay showed us, his offensive wrestling needs work. However his gif also shows the power and explosiveness in the wrestling department.

Complete fighters keep championships. Yes he has good stand up, good power, but I think he should add in more offensive wrestling.

It could help, but I think it is likely more important that he learns to fight smart. For one he keeps his hands low and while he uses a bit of head movement, his footwork is lacking. He tends to back up straight and doesn't use enough angles and pivots in his footwork which could help him with his cage generalship. He also needs to use his jab more to keep opponents at a distance. Velsaquez was able to pressure him and get him against the cage because he relies to heavily on power punches and looping hooks and uppercuts; those punches have there place but they leave him vulnerable when he misses.

He also needs to work on his in-fighting; once he is clinched with his opponent or has them against the cage he tends to back away and try to throw some looping haymaker. He would be much more effective if he started putting combinations together when they are in close and finding a way to mix some muay thai clinch, grecco grappling to create punching opportunities. This could be fixed by him working on his footwork and pivots and learning that he wants to be in the pocket with his opponent. This is a key thing because as a slugger his best bet is to back his opponent up and then land a combination that puts them away. Every time he backs away once his opponent is against the cage, he is making the fight harder on himself as he is unable to land as many significant strikes when he opponent has room to move.

Finally he needs to use a lot more feints to set up his punches and also to get his opponent to react defensively when he is backed up against the cage. From there, he needs to work on his footwork and pivots to get him out of there. This was his problem when he fought Velasquez. Velasquez would pressure him and back him up to the cage where Dos Santos would simply throw haymakers and end up getting counter punched. With some feints, a stiff jab and some improvement in his footwork while keeping his hands up he could have made it a tougher fight for Velsaquez and maybe even won the fight. Hell there were multiple occasions where he could have knocked out Velasquez if he was capable of throwing tighter punches and using more angles.

Back