I want to hear an unpopular food opinion about your own region/culture

I'm not a huge fan of barbecue ribs.
this is nothing you should ever openly admit or be proud of, and you really should consider getting your brain scanned for possible damage. may lord xenu guide you, thoughts and prayers.

as for my unpopular food opinion about american food is that american bbq should be required to eaten once a day at bare minimum, and 15 minutes needs to be set aside daily to pray to a giant fucking brisket in masses like my ppl do over there in mecca

There’s a restaurant in Tuscaloosa called Dreamland BBQ. It’s practically a state monument in Alabama and traditions in families as the best BBQ you’ll ever have.

giphy.gif

I don’t think it’s that good at all and at least a half dozen bbq places that are better

this is nothing you should ever openly admit or be proud of, and you really should consider getting your brain scanned for possible damage. may lord xenu guide you, thoughts and prayers.

Ribs are too greasy and fatty. Bleh

UK

Food is good.
I don't like mushrooms, or pickle.
Baked beans are fine, but keep them in the little serving tin on the side.
Mash bores me to tears, same with Shepherds Pie and Cottage pie. Haggis is even more boring, and incredibly chewy.

Yep, I didn't dislike it when I was a kid but not so sure I would like it now.
Likely best we don't know what's in that, lol. I'm trying to find saveloys locally for a fish supper with curry sauce, fish chips and mushy peas Friday and I don't want to know what goes into them either.

There must be something else British that I don't like. Oooh, dumplings. As in stew with dumplings. I love a stew but the dumplings I can't stand the texture. Beef suet puddings either.
Maybe check out your local German supermarket. Mine sell a Hungarian styled red frankfurter thats as close ive found to a saveloy.

Do you have a Bristol Farms store up there? German sausages are very underrated. They have a decent selection of sausages around Oktoberfest. Their meat dept is pretty good. Occasionally have British foods there as well.

https://www.bristolfarms.com/

Yep, I didn't dislike it when I was a kid but not so sure I would like it now.
I didnt mind fish paste but i'll tell you this what that reminded me of...

Dont know if i buggered up the amount needed but me and the Mrs really do not care for using fish sauce in asian recipes. It is so gross. Done a cpl Thai noodle recipes with it and we hated it.

Maybe check out your local German supermarket. Mine sell a Hungarian styled red frankfurter thats as close ive found to a saveloy.

Do you have a Bristol Farms store up there? German sausages are very underrated. They have a decent selection of sausages around Oktoberfest. Their meat dept is pretty good. Occasionally have British foods there as well.

https://www.bristolfarms.com/
No, not heard of Bristol Farms before. I'm going to try my local German place though. Sadly they never answer Facebook messages so I'll have to phone which will be fun describing what a saveloy is, haha.I wonder if they deliver? Managed to get some wicked ostrich delivered the other day.

Surprised there's no Mancs in here shitting on eccles cakes

Austria: Sweet main courses are some bullshit. Also dislike the obsession with apples.
Other than that, I love our kitchen.

Examples of sweet austrian main courses:
Kaiserschmarrn Photo
Germknödel Photo
Palatschinken (I love those though lol, just not served as main course) Photo

I didnt mind fish paste but i'll tell you this what that reminded me of...

Dont know if i buggered up the amount needed but me and the Mrs really do not care for using fish sauce in asian recipes. It is so gross. Done a cpl Thai noodle recipes with it and we hated it.
Haha, I use fish sauce in pretty much every Thai dish I make. You do have to be really careful with it though, no more than a couple of shakes. I use it like I use salt. Just at the end. I do like really salty things though. Thai shrimp paste is what you have to be careful with, if it isn't in a paste it's putrid. Made the mistake of using a tablespoon rather than a teaspoon....stank the place out and was gopping.

No, not heard of Bristol Farms before. I'm going to try my local German place though. Sadly they never answer Facebook messages so I'll have to phone which will be fun describing what a saveloy is, haha.I wonder if they deliver? Managed to get some wicked ostrich delivered the other day.
Our local German sausage factory has a lunch room. Their sausages are outstanding.

I tried a cold pork chop there once, ive got the name wrong, and it was like an inch thick deli cut of a pork roast. Delicious.

Check out their pics here
https://www.yelp.com/biz/mattern-sausage-and-deli-orange-7

EDIT: its called a smoked pork chop

as for my unpopular food opinion about american food is that american bbq should be required to eaten once a day at bare minimum, and 15 minutes needs to be set aside daily to pray to a giant fucking brisket in masses like my ppl do over there in mecca
Way too much sugar.

many murkins have begun overcooking the fuck out of their bbq for sake of getting a deeper smoke ring. and its a damn shame. particularly when the vast majority of smoke flavor will still reside on the surface of the meat.

i attribute this in part to the growing popularity of automated pellet smokers

Yesterday's thread devolved into a bit of a partisan food fight so lets take it a step in different direction today by looking inwards and offering an unpopular food opinion about your own region/culture.

UK

I'll never understand my Country's obsession with baked beans. They are so overrated. Nothing more disappointing than forgetting to tell a waiter to hold the beans when i go for a full English.

Also:

Full Irish > Full English

<grabs tin hat and dashes towards the nearest exit>
Agree on both counts, fuck baked beans

And full Irish is the goat fried breakfast

Tea with milk is the worst drink in the world, milk in general is the devil's jizz.
Pork joints, chops, belly etc, taste human to me

Agree on both counts, fuck baked beans

And full Irish is the goat fried breakfast

Tea with milk is the worst drink in the world, milk in general is the devil's jizz.
Pork joints, chops, belly etc, taste human to me
You a League of Gentleman fan? ;)

Back