I ve got invited to an MMA charity match

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So long story short I got a beef with an older dude. We agreed to figure it out in a friendly and gentleman spar. Few days later he texts me he has found a local charity event where we can participate. It is a white collar MMA event.

Now the older dude is some ex TMA guy not a wrestler or a boxer or anything. But how the heck do I prepare for that fight without wrestling? Haha.

I want to accept for the fun and experience of it but not willing to embarrass myself in a MMA match. Now if it was boxing or kick boxing I would be all in.

You got beef with a dude but you two send each other text messages, how cute.

So long story short I got a beef with an older dude. We agreed to figure it out in a friendly and gentleman spar. Few days later he texts me he has found a local charity event where we can participate. It is a white collar MMA event.

Now the older dude is some ex TMA guy not a wrestler or a boxer or anything. But how the heck do I prepare for that fight without wrestling? Haha.

I want to accept for the fun and experience of it but not willing to embarrass myself in a MMA match. Now if it was boxing or kick boxing I would be all in.
I got two tips for ya:

1. <{cuts}>
2. <{JustBleed}>

Well you already have muay thai training with your boxing instructor if i'm not mistaken. And have boxing training. You should work on just takedown defense a lot of it. Like work on clinch knee'ing the guy when he goes for your leg, or front kicking him in the head. You got this.

And one more thing eye pokes work wonders.

You're fighting a traditional martial arts guy for Christ's sake. What are you even worried about? Go in there with your boxing and knock him the fuck out.

You're fighting a traditional martial arts guy for Christ's sake. What are you even worried about? Go in there with your boxing and knock him the fuck out.
Not only that but apparently he’s an older dude too

Last edited:
You got beef with a dude but you two send each other text messages, how cute.
We handled it in a very civil manner... ended up drinking beer and talking about chicks and fighting. But the challenge remains challenge.

Well you know he could be a Judo practitioner and fill the ground with me. And he seems to have some kind of a wrestling in his hands as he initially insisted it should not be a pure boxing match but with MMA gloves and MMA rules. And in my country the old school judo is on high level. It had Russias judo training methods and these guys still produce top judokas.

My guess however is he has some karate and judo mixed in the bag, with more karate and less judo and this is why he insisted on MMA gloves, thinking the big gloves are for protection.

What stuck on my mind was something he said along the line. "You younger guys think by training a couple of years of boxing and you know everything about fighting". It is true that boxing is huge in Bulgaria right now and is very mainstream, but he seemed confident to know his shit.

Not only that but apparently he’s an older dude too

When I say older I mean he is like 45, while I am like 33. And the guy looks in shape. So it is not like he is some kind of an old fart. Just older dude.

Last edited:
LOL, I wonder if people used to say that about young Machida. :D That kinda attitude begs for a loss.

How much bigger than you is he?

Last edited:
We handled it in a very civil manner... ended up drinking beer and talking about chicks and fighting. But the challenge remains challenge.

Well you know he could be a Judo practitioner and fill the ground with me. And he seems to have some kind of a wrestling in his hands as he initially insisted it should not be a pure boxing match but with MMA gloves and MMA rules. And in my country the old school judo is on high level. It had Russias judo training methods and these guys still produce top judokas.

My guess however is he has some karate and judo mixed in the bag, with more karate and less judo and this is why he insisted on MMA gloves, thinking the big gloves are for protection.

What stuck on my mind was something he said along the line. "You younger guys think by training a couple of years of boxing and you know everything about fighting". It is true that boxing is huge in Bulgaria right now and is very mainstream, but he seemed confident to know his shit.

When I say older I mean he is like 45, while I am like 33. And the guy looks in shape. So it is not like he is some kind of an old fart. Just older dude.
Honestly even with a judo background at 45 years old he’s fucked. The only difference is if his karate and judo background made him do some full contact fights/spars. Even then at 45 that’s really tough. That’s almost 50 dude

never count out older TMA guys early.

Last edited:
I honestly dont care about the circumstances but if you dont post the fight on sherdog then its a lifetime ban

@Sinister

never count out older TMA guys early.

Yeah that is the shit I am concerned about. And MMA is something I am not familiar with. As I said if it was pure boxing - no worries I d go right now. But then I am also going to swim in unfamiliar waters with MMA and perhaps meeting a strange style of fighting under rules I am not used to fighting :) It can get messy.

Step one I found a training partner to train with. Apparently a co-worked of mine has trained MMA and his strengths are in grappling so I talked him to finding a coach or a club to sign and help me out with practice. He is new to my town and we work in the nearby city where there is a MMA club, apperantly one of the top MMA clubs in my country. So far I ve got a plan to prepare :)

How much older? If too old, then you have nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

Back