I used to hate Stephan A Smith

I like him. Hes loud, hes crazy. He holds no punches when he thinks something.He will give dana the tough questions and gives him shit. Hes a character.

I loved it already when he was questioning dana if tj was up to it after cutting down 10 extra lbs and dana looked really uncomfortable and basically avoided the question.

Last edited:
I used to Hate Stephen A Smith.

And I still hate Stephen A Smith.

He's better than that fucking fake tough guy Jay Glazer.

I love @Dirty Holt sprinkles in a little troll thread into the heavys and bounces back to the grappling forum

Loved reading the do people realize its 3.5 hours away for the venue change thread

Last night, I think he really added a lot to the show. I hated so many commercials, but I found myself getting more excited when Stephan would interject and get things a little hyped up. Thought he really fit in well with the team. This is coming from a guy who couldnt stand his antics before. Whats your thoughts?

Honestly everyone went in with the mentality that he'd just be a general sports guy who'd be bsing his way through and expected a disaster. This happens with so many others sports, generic sportscasters are cancer but honestly Stephen A isn't an expert or anything but you could tell he's interested and has been watching the sport casually for a while and isn't just talking solely because he's being paid.

Also him not being entirely ignorant but knowing he knows nothing compared to the other commentators is a sweet spot that made his analysis better IMO. With NBA and NFL stuff Stephen A isn't going to act so diplomatic.

he gets extremely annoying on his espn radio show. i listen to his show because my office plays the espn radio all day.

You'll hate him again when hes back on his regular shows.

Stephan A Smith is awesome in covering MMA for ESPN. He admittedly doesn't know much, but he is learning more and more, and he concedes points to Cormier and the like when he isn't sure.

But honestly he knew a lot more and was making more valid points than I thought he would. He essentially called TJ/Cejudo and was accurate in where he saw TJ's flaws.

The guy was huge into boxing (I think) before this, so he isn't a newbie to combat sports.

The best part is his hype game. He gets overly excited when he emphasizes points and it is entertaining to watch.

I'd never heard of him before this event, I can happily go about my life without ever seeing him again.

That's pretty shocking. For you to never have heard of Stephen A. Smith means you don't watch sports. He's been covering various sports for, oh I dunno, probably since before you were born. I know he's been doing commentary and writing on sports for at least 20-30 years.

That's pretty shocking. For you to never have heard of Stephen A. Smith means you don't watch sports. He's been covering various sports for, oh I dunno, probably since before you were born. I know he's been doing commentary and writing on sports for at least 20-30 years.
I'm English.

I'm English.

Well yea that might explain it because if you watch college or pro basketball, or college or pro football, then you know who Stephen A. Smith is. Some people like him, some people hate him, but everyone knows who he is. Some MMA fans are not understanding that having Smith around for MMA cards brings more exposure to the sport and its a good thing, a very good thing for him to be at some of the events.

Well yea that might explain it because if you watch college or pro basketball, or college or pro football, then you know who Stephen A. Smith is. Some people like him, some people hate him, but everyone knows who he is. Some MMA fans are not understanding that having Smith around for MMA cards brings more exposure to the sport and its a good thing, a very good thing for him to be at some of the events.
I don't watch any of them mate, they're big in America, not so much over here.
I have no idea who he is apart from what you tell me, all I know is I found his over the top persona quite grating.
Maybe he'll grow on me though, Anik has to a certain extent.

I don't know the dude. But I love looking at his face. The hairline, the face. It's hypnotic.

His voice and enthusiasm bring energy to a broadcast. As long as he isn't spewing complete bullshit I kind of like him in the booth. Better than listening to him pontificating on a morning television show. His type of personality is good in small doses and at the right time to hype something up. For some reason it sort of fit with MMA.

He's annoying and doesn't pay attention to what anyone is saying.

Bisping: You've got to wonder how much of TJ's KO power has followed him down to 125 or will he not have it at all at that weight?

Smith: Ok but I've seen plenty of muscle bound guys with glass jaws you know what I'm saying?

Sometimes I can't stand him, and other times he has me laughing my ass off. I'm excited for his involvement in the sport, because the inevitable trainwreck between him and Dana will be epic. He won't hesitate for second to call Dana out. This is gonna get real bad.

Last edited:
Back