I Truly Hate the Supplement Industry

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Madmick, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Madmick

Madmick Freedom!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

So I was over at Bodybuilding.com buying some new canisters of Muscle Milk when I decided I'd just enjoy some convenience and purchase a multivitamin, too. So I look up the Top 5 sellers and all of them have ridiculously stupid amounts of each micronutrient: just a complete waste per serving (of course the real megadoses are all water-soluble vitamins since they know better than to toxify people).

I'm checking out AST's and I see this in the product description:
    No, they tell you that because you're peeing it all out. They tell you that because they don't sell vitamins.

The supplement industry is one of the most useless and corrupt industries in the USA today. I used to be enamored with it all when I was new and knew nothing. Now I see this shit and I just get pissed off. I would love nothing more than to see 95% of the industry collapse. All I need is a balanced multivitamin, some creatine monohydrate, and some whey. After that, just GTFO. Snake oil salesmen.

Fuck you, AST.

2. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

Interesting observation, I used to feel much the same way. But now I don't feel angry at the industry, I find the industry amusing more than anything else. After feeling overwhelmed at first by all the marketing and hype, and worrying that I might need to buy more supplements, it was refreshing to have found this message board and sit back for a year or two and just follow the discussions back in the day.

Now, like most people, I price hunt for whey, CM, multi's and fish oil.

3. Madmick

Madmick Freedom!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

LOL, shit, I forgot fish oil. That's probably because I get mine at Costco with the Kirkland Multivitamin. I usually buy the other stuff off Bodybuilding.com these days.

4. ElKarlo

ElKarlo Steel Belt

Yeah a lot of that stuff is junk. Worst are co like Xyince, with their $80 creatines and crap. They just combine 2 creatine patents and add caffeine.

5. AKJ

AKJ White Belt

What is a decent multi?

6. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

In Germany they sell these packets of 20 water soluable multivitamins. Kind of like EmergenC but a multi. They give basically 100% of most vitamins, and a pack of 20 is 0.45 euros, or about 1 dollar.

7. dinpappa

dinpappa Purple Belt

In Norway its the opposite, here we only get the basics and usefull stuff. Sell cheap multivitamines and omegas at every grocerystore.

As an example No-xplode etc is illegal, and we got redbull last year because taurine was banned up until then. At first when i started out and belived everything i was pissed, but now i dont care. I can buy whey, creatine, multis and omega fats

8. Beable

Beable Blue Belt

bb.com is an annoying forum, but man they ship fast to me. Not sure if I live close to their distribution center or something, but shit gets here in two days max.

9. DaMadMonk

DaMadMonk Blue Belt

I find that the more I know about any industry, the more I tend to hate it.

10. dza76wutang

dza76wutang Black Belt

I always found BB.com too expensive, A1supplements usually beats them for what I buy.

11. scottm

scottm Green Belt

There is an entire thread dedicated to multi's in the FAQ's I believe.

Not to derail this thread (+1 to MadMick) but I like the contents of AOR Ortho-Core.

12. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

It's amusing to look and see how I've progressed since finding this place. I used to hate the supplement industry cause there was so much and it was all so expensive...then I hated it cause I had spent so much money on shit supps that were just overblown hyped up crap...now I find myself wishing I'd been the one to come up with that overblown hyped up crap cause I wouldn't have to work anymore.

13. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

While there are a lot of shady practices in the industry I wouldn't want it to be more regulated than it is. It is already one of the last places not toally controlled by pharaceuticals and I personally enjoy the freedom that it provides in terms of what I can and cannot put into my body. Yes, there are companies that provide misinformation, but that's where research and being proactive come into play

14. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Yeah seriously. I'd feel guilty for being an evil thief that takes advantage of the uneducated, but also laugh my ass off on my private jet.

15. livingdeadmoose

livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

I partly agree with TS. My second job is at GNC and most of the crap out there is useless. The biggest scam out there are all the pre-workout/NO products. There has only been one of those that I like but even then, it's not necessary. I hate all the fat burners and hormone products. What I hate even more is that I went to school, learned about nutrition and exercise, I'm a certified personal trainer, but GNC is more concerned with hiring car salesmen.

But like other said, just stick to the basics: whey, creatine, muliti's, and fish oils.

16. Now

Now White Belt

Could you give me the name of that multi? Im looking for one currently.

thanks

17. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

Well I dont know if they sell these only in Germany or all over Europe, but I buy them in DM (kind of like a health and beauty store). They are called "Das gesunde plus - Multivitamin". They come in long tubes that hold these 1 euro/quarter sized tablets. They have regular multivitamin, multivitamin with minerals, they also have Vitamin C, Vitamin B complex, Calcium etc.

18. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

My supplement intake has slowly approached Elvis like proportions again. I need to cut back yet again.

19. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

You hate the supplement industry but have two posts with polls up about favorite blends of Muscle Milk? That seems weird. Muscle milk is yummy, but overpriced and overmarketed.

20. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

the temptation is always there I guess. I bought a bottle of acai berry last year or the year before - right after it stopped being super-famous - I got it for like 75% off or something. But I didn't even take any.

I basically thought "what good will taking a supposed anti-oxidant for 2 weeks do compared to the rest of my life?"

the answer was "not much at all" and so I threw them out.