1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

I thought AJ boxed excellently

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by XThe GreatestX, Sep 25, 2021.

1. XThe GreatestX Gold Belt

Obviously all props to the new king Usyk.

But one thing I think a little bit overlooked in the post fight discussion is how well AJ boxed. AJ I don't really consider some supreme technical boxer but he really fought Usyk tough in Usyk's style of fight. Now, Usyk was just flat out better

But AJ did really well in that style of fight even if it was the wrong approach. Really high level stuff in that fight and AJ was right there with him until the last few moments of the 12th

2. Stormtrooper85 Red Belt

That was his problem. He can't outbox Usyk, ever.
    He didn't use his size and power to bully Usyk and paid fornjt.

He did the same thing with Ruiz, tried to beat him at his own game. Whether that's ego or bad game plans, it's cost him twice.

3. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

This time AJ did as good as he could and fought as well and as smart as it is within his arsenal. I liked what he tried to do. Usyk is simply much better at that game

Nova44 and A-Level Wrestler like this.
  4. No Mas Green Belt

AJ had momentum going his way through the middle portions and was getting to be a bigger fav than pre-fight by round 7 live odds. Then Usyk pushed the pace and took over again. Reminded me of the Pavlik-Martinez fight a bit, similar sizes, similar momentum shifts to the smaller guy.

A-Level Wrestler likes this.
  5. ExitLUPin K

If he was gonna use his power/size he needed to come in heavier

and if he came in heavier and bodybuilder mode and didnt get Usyk out early hed have been finished in the late rounds

6. The Penetrator Purple Belt

i feel like aj gets dragged into his opponents fight way too easily...

usually he gets to overpower them later when hes forced to find his rhytm

but its different when youre fighting a guy tha truly believes its his destiny, and has skills to back it up.

we know a big part of this game is mental, so its no surprise when guys like pulev, ortiz, povetkin, appear to have the skill bug just cant get over the age hump to beat them young guys that are in the right plave mentally and also have the skill to back it up.

HHJ, jm0b, asdffdsa and 2 others like this.
  7. Err Brown Belt

He had moderate success boxing Usyk because he is considerably larger, AJ isn’t a bad technical boxer, but the size disparity is what made this competitive. If he wants to win he’ll need to bulk up and figure out a way to bully Usyk.

8. Zarathustra611 Orange Belt

I agree. Came in much lighter & leaner than usual to try and match Uysk for speed and movement and just wasn't even close to doing it. And in doing so weakened what would otherwise have been his advantage in size, strength and power.

He boxed competently enough but a complete failure of strategy- again- from him & his team. Played right into Usyks hands, made it exactly the fight the other side wanted and didn't use his size, weight and strength to bully Uysk around like he could have tried to do- lean on him, toss him around, pull the trigger more aggressively when he did manage to catch Usyk...

His corner are moronic, "brilliant boxing AJ!"... as he eats another straight left and tries to outbox the superior boxer instead of making him uncomfortable.

Err likes this.
  9. Stormtrooper85 Red Belt

More reasons he needs to ditch McCracken. His options are too damn limited.

Or change nothing and take another L. Honestly, Usyk is the one who will have more changes for the second fight and probably put AJ away next time

HHJ and Minowafanatic like this.
  10. Smokes Red Belt

I thought AJ looked shook walking in the ring. He looked out of it til the 4th and 5th Rd and had no plan B and didn't even try to get into a war. I think he was mentally beaten tonight. By Usyk or Himself or Both.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Olenac12 and ForemanFan like this.
  11. Err Brown Belt

He’s in kind of a lose lose situation. If he comes back trying to box similar to how he did now, he’s rolling the dice and likely won’t be able to outbox Usyk and probably won’t knock him out. If he comes in heavier and tries to fight Usyk and pressure him he needs to do it early or he’ll fade in the later rounds.

There were some moments in the fight where AJ got the better of a few exchanges and I remember thinking that Usyk looked small and exploitable. There are paths to victory for AJ but Usyk might just be a bad matchup for him at the end of the day.

xavion likes this.
  12. Smokes Red Belt

I think Usyk is just a bad match up for AJ. I think Fury or Wilder beat him. AJ is a little robotic of the big 3 and slower feet than Fury and slower hands than Wilder. AJ can never use his size against some as fast as Usyk cause of his style.

Fury would move and than lay on top of Usyk all night til a easy dec. Wilder will come and Usyk with wreckless and catch him in I the fast but not only that, wilder punches do damage and Usyk face wasn't really holding up tonight. Not saying Wilder will land alot of clean punches but he will do damage and move Usyk.

Usyk should look for the rematch cause it is the best fight for him. He beat him once and has a very good chance to do it again. So why now. Rematch would do a bigger gate and more numbers. And raise your name power. After that good the fury/wilder winner or who ever else has that last belt. He gots a chance to have longevity now no need to risk it right away.

Canned Tuna likes this.
  13. Cariñito Brown Belt

Usyk seemed to have more of a spark. If AJ could have a little bit more Chisora in him, it might have helped him.
    But Usyk looked good and came ready. I hope he becomes undisputed.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  14. SSgt Dickweed Silver Belt

AJ looked skinnier than he used to be. Did he go vegan? Maybe that's what screwed him.

Naoya#1 likes this.
  15. panem-et-circenses In the garden

I thought AJ was taking over, and then he was done. Went from smiling to genuinely out of the fight. I would have to rewatch the bout, but this seemed to occur before the eye was mashed.

it was a good fight though. I was rooting for Usyk and when he seemed to hurt AJ…what a moment.

Not sure what AJ can do moving forward.

16. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

He didn’t look bad but picked the wrong gameplan.

Also, stopping the body work right when it started to pay off was a god awful move.

5acrossYOeye, Old Cat, jm0b and 2 others like this.
  17. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

i think he was beaten physically by an awesome boxer who fights like a fucking maniac.

Substance Abuse, HHJ and Jonny Ninja like this.
  18. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

I still favour Joshua over fury if they even fight. Usyks on a different level to everyone at HW. We saw that last night. I hope the other belt holder (whoever that may be) takes the challenge and fights him for all of the belts

WildBoyDan and Badr Hari like this.
  19. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

Fury is the only guy that has a decent chance against him. Usyk would fckin embarrass wilder. He’d be falling over his own feet all fight

GeneTunney7 likes this.
  20. aries Gold Belt

I don't think he should come in heavy vs. Usyk in a rematch. He should stay slim because that's where he has his best conditioning. He'd still have a 20lb and 3" height advantage over Usyk and he's definitely the naturally stronger man. If he comes in heavy he'll just gas earlier.