I think we're in for an incredible trilogy.

TrueGrit

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First off, hats off to Cain. I'm a big JDS fan, and I had him taking this fight with another (T)KO. Cain put on a hell of a performance and deserves every bit of that title. At the same time, I became an even bigger fan of JDS in this loss. He basically fought four rounds off heart alone, and never gave up.

Like I said earlier, Cain deserves all the praise he gets for tonight's performance, so don't write this off as an excuse. But I truly believe JDS was underestimating what Cain is capable of doing leading into this fight. In my mind the third fight between these two may be a battle for the ages. In my mind JDS actually showed very solid TDD and ability to get up once taken down. The one thing that really overwhelmed him was Cain's relentless pace, I really don't think he was prepared for that, or believed he capable of doing so. I don't know when these two will meet again, but I do believe it will be one hell of a battle now that both fighters know what the other can truly bring to the table.

I also expect most of this will be followed with "JDS has nothing for Cain." Which is fair enough, since a lot JDS fans were claiming the same leading into tonight's fight. Your thoughts?

My thoughts as well.

They are 1-1 with each having a dominate performance.

The rubber match will sell out fast.

unless JDS can somehow stop Cains takedowns the 3rd fight goes down exactly the same.

I definitely will look forward for a third fight between the two. I like both fighters and how respectful they are (although Dos Santos did get annoying by referring himself to a nice guy). Cain definitely did a great job keeping up with the game plan. He did not initally succeed in taking Junior down but didn't give up and continued (unlike Mir who gave up after his first unsuccessful attempt). This forced Junior to keep his hands down to stuff the takedowns. This kept him from throwing his usual jabs and left him open for the big overhand as well. Then dealing with the clinch and repeated takedown (attempts) took all junior's energy.

Any person with common sense knows anything can happen in a third fight. They each dominated one fight using their signature style. Who knows how the third will end. As long as it is not too soon.

I also liked what junior said about how he is coming back for his belt...kind of like a cliff hanger.

I hope so, as long as both fighters fight at least 2 more opponents before the fight.

I hope the third fight is the best one yet.

The fight just ended and I'm already stoked for the third lol. It was hard watching JDS barely hanging on, but you could also see the huge weight lifted off Cain's shoulders when the final bell sounded. I still hope JDS regains the belt, but if anyone had to take the belt, I'm glad it was Cain.

yes we are, looking forward to it, Cain either by decision or TKO

Yeah man. First thing first though. Overeem has a beating coming! :D

definitely Cain-JDS III is gonna be one for the ages.

Congratulations to Cain he did great, Dos Santos will be back strong.

unless JDS can somehow stop Cains takedowns the 3rd fight goes down exactly the same.

He did stop the take downs earlier on and even managed to scramble and stand back up but Cain was just relentless tonight and wore him out.

It could very well, but like I said in the OP, I think JDS showed fairly good TDD in this fight. I just think Cain really overwhelmed him with the pressure he put forth, and was also able to land that heavy right hand.

IMO JDS will be much more prepared for the attack of Cain in a third fight since he now knows what he's really capable of. With that said, he's still in for a hell of a fight.

I sure as hell hope so. My faith in JDS is still there. His cardio was tested and exposed tonight. He needs to fix that issue as he climbs back up the latter.

not true man, his knee has fuck all to do with his chin, if jds connects like he did in the first fight we're going to be seeing jds champ again. the dude can't take a punch... he's an amazing fighter, but that's why he has to push the pace and go to the ground like he always does and thats an incredible skill in itself, but jds can definitely take this again with one punch.

I think conditioning and keeping his hands up are the key factors to making the next fight more interesting. I think the tdd is already good enough. In his drained state he was able to get back to his feet and do a decent job of fending off take downs. If he could not be so tired and keep his hands up it could be better. True heart award goes to jlau tonight.

Agreed. Gained even more respect for both guys after this. I think Junior is gonna work hard on his cardio and come back strong. Can't wait for a third fight.

Nope, after seeing Cain cannot finish a gassed out fighter and had low fight IQ for the last three rounds I really do not want to see this fight again. The only reason I like HW fights is because they usually have a big KO/TKO finish.

If I want to watch high-level grappling and striking I'll watch the smaller guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back