I think tony has a size problem

Time, age, injuries. They are inescapable. Not to mention the out of the cage stuff with him.

The number of people that come back from an acl injury are few and far between. Now at age 38, in the shark tank (155)? Good luck. I mean, you don’t even have to lose a full step to slide down these rankings. Not to mention the fact that he was doing all the unconventional things..when you’re doing PT for an ACL, it’s gotta be by the book. There’s no style. There’s no creativity. It’s clenching your teeth and walking up a ramp for hundreds of hours. It’s not for everyone.

All that being said I think Tony is a top 15-40 guy and could still fight with fringe ranked guys if he wanted, and maybe pull a win here and there. Kinda like an andrei arlovski but in a much deeper division at 155.
Good assessment, i agree.
I forgot that he's already 38, i had 35 in my head.
Knee injuries can be absolutely awful, i never had something torn, but popped my kneecap once several years ago and to this day the knee to which it happened does not feel as stable as it used to be - i guess things like ACL tears are no different to that.
GSP lost explosivity on his takedowns too, with this kind of injury.
But yeah, mileage too and that ass beating he took from Gaethje made it all worse.

He's 37 and shot. There is nothing he can change.

Hm, i'm not sure if i agree, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Obviously subjective but to me Oliveria looked like a big brother. It is a shame we can't see octagon weights so we really new how big the difference was (if any).

It doesn't matter if Nate it too big.
He will loose for sure even if they have the same size. He would have beaten him when he was young but not now.
It's just for money.

Personally I would rather see Tony in a fight he can win and put on show.

Nate v Tony will be a lot like Oliveria v Tony IMO.

This is an awful take. Tony was the number 1 contender for years, size is definitely not the issue. He is built like a lean LW and used his reach and length to his advantage for years and his style is actually completely dependent on it. The problem is age and wear and tear.

Father Time is undefeated. We all get old. Tony got old for a professional fighter and he held off Father Time for longer than most in the game.

Funny how MMA works, you're on a win streak and you can do no wrong, you lose a few in a row and everyone's suddenly an expert on whats wrong with you

I have a size probably too :(:(:(

tenor.gif

I have a size probably too :(:(:(
well, sure. everybody has a size.
Unless you're an abstract entity with no physical form

Personally I would rather see Tony in a fight he can win and put on show.

Nate v Tony will be a lot like Oliveria v Tony IMO.

I would like that to.
But I think he will loose to all top 15 fighters. I don't think that but I'm 100% sure.
It's smarter for him to get a higher name.
He should take a match where he is the underdog.
If he looses against a guy who has no name his career is done and didn't take maximum money on his way out.
He should forget about being at the top again.

Everytime someone loses, sherdog always goes with he’s too small, needs to go down a weight class lol

Hmmm...(*sneaks a peek at AVI*), Rogan is too small, needs to go down a weight class himself...

Tony at 170lbs for the rest of his career could be interesting he's older now so maybe the weight cuts are affected him more...

Hes not likely to challenge for a belt again so moving up could be a good move to get some more fights in and make some more money and likely better for his health...

No wonder he needs to get some better tdd, but what really shocks me in his last fights is how much weaker he looks than his oponents, tony is maybe 5'11 and he's built like max holloway, he shouod put some pounds on he looks way skinnier than the current top 10View attachment 871886
I’m having issues with my MacBook… you think I could DM you for assistance??

Were you in the shower with him?

It's funny how these narratives shift when a guy loses.

I remember people saying Tony was a WW ducking guys his own size when he was winning, now he is apparently too small.

He got old.

He used his athleticism and durability to compensate for certain skills that were substandard and now he can't hide them anymore. No shame either, dude had a great run, got a belt, hopefully made some money.

Funny how MMA works, you're on a win streak and you can do no wrong, you lose a few in a row and everyone's suddenly an expert on whats wrong with you

Nothing funny about it though. If you are on a winning streak, you are doing something right, or at least more right than wrong. If you are on a losing streak you are doing something wrong, or at least more wrong than right.

Back