I think the UFC could pull this off!

Maybe they could do that for TUF one season. The final 8 fighters get set up for a 1 night tournament.

Problems:

1) Nobody will attend an even for 4 days.
2) Commission won't allow more than 25 minutes of fight in one day.

Legal solution:
3x3 minute rounds, 4 man tournaments in one night.

I would love it, would be like the tenkiachi budakia in Dragon Ball! Much more interesting.

I wouldnt mind watching a tournament.

If they shrunk the rounds down they could do it legally and fighters would fight more aggressively

:eek:

Pretty obvious problem you omit is that no one is gunna wanna take damage which means takedowns and lay and pray with cornermen yelling at fighters to stay in his opponents guard.

I don't get why people like things like this.

I'm more interested in who's the best when they are at 100%, not who's the best after several grueling fights with no proper time to heal.

This. I feel the same way.

The commission would never pass it. A lot of the guys have a 6 month to a year suspension after 1 fight.

White belt, no.

Its not 2005 kid. Pride is dead, let it go.

while i would like to see this no ac in the states would approve of this and the ufc would not bring this over seas and risk pissing off the acs back in the u.s.a

I like tourneys and all, but nope, would not be allowed. It would be brutal on their bodies. Pride's tourneys were the shit, but I don't see it happening today, plus over 4 days is pretty brutal.

If it were done right now, Jon jones would win. Open weight doesn't work anymore now that fighters all train like pros.

If it were done right now, Jon jones would win. Open weight doesn't work anymore now that fighters all train like pros.

It works, check K1 for example. There were incredible fights where every year the best really fought the best. Granted, there were only a few guys under 200lbs, and the current #1 guy is a gigantic monster that towers over everyone and wouldn't make 265lbs without arms.

Focusing on the top talent in the world makes things fun. When there are too many additional variables such as weight classes, leagues, orgs, etc it's really hard to pay attention and care for 100's of individuals.

The drawback is not everyone is able to play, just like in most professional sports where if you're not a huge or incredible athlete, you're just not gonna make it, with a few exceptions like Ichiro or Muggsy Bogues.

Back