I think Stipe could beat Jones

I think Jones has far too many tools for Stipe, he will be kicking him in the knee all night. DC literally walked up to him with no head mooment, grabbed his hands, and had heaps of success. Jones won't do that, but will elbow your face off instead

Jones may have too many tools for Stipe but he's missing the most important tool.... The immigrant mentality

If Jon can beat Stipe then why is he still fighting in a division where there is no one left to fight?

I'd like to see this next, personally. Stipe has the power to potentially hurt Jon and has a good enough chin to take what Jon throws at him and keep coming. He also has the size and wrestling skills to keep the fight standing. I would imagine Jones would try to pick him apart with kicks on the outside, but it's hard to imagine Stipe not landing some bombs. Can Jon take big shots from heavyweights? Would Jon have more power if he moved up? Would his cardio suffer at HW? Lots of interesting questions would be answered.

Have you looked at Cormier's face post-fight? Did you see how Santos pushed Jones in their recent fight?

I think Stipe would have a better chance to defeat Jones than Sherdoggers give him credit for. If he lands power shots on Jones JBJ will not shrug them off. Gus puffed up Jones' face and Stipe hits harder than Gus.

Stipe managed range well in the Ngannou fight. Jones does it better, but again when you're against a guy with Stipe's power you're vulnerable if only one shot lands.

Jones would kickbox but again if Stipe catches a few kicks and returns some hard straights or overhands that might become a long night for JBJ.

I'd love to see this fight. The interesting thing on here would be seeing people who hate anyone not named DC tie themselves in knots alternately condemning Jones while saying he will easily beat the supposedly hapless Stipe.

I think Jones is the most unbeatable fighter to step in the octagon but Stipe has more than a punchers chance here.

Jones is so sure that Stipe has a decent chance to beat him that he undergoes the torture that is a 30 pound water cut just to avoid the fight. Basically, HW's hit very hard, you're always one punch away from being finished. At LHW you can make a mistake and survive. At HW not so much.

So yeah, its pretty safe to say Stipe has a reasonable chance to beat Jones -- its what Jones thinks himself. If Jones thought there was no way he could lose to Stipe then he'd take the fight in an instant and save himself the pain of the weight cut.

Jones has no head movement, so those same punches DC dodged, would more than likely land on Jon. But Jon's reach could mitigate a lot of Stipe's punches as well.

60/40 in favor of Stipe, because we've seen him fight the best at HW, while we don't know how Jones would operate at HW, and his pysche as well. There's a reason why he doesn't want to move up to HW.

Back