I think people underestimate small fighters' body mass and power

I think most people posting pics of Thor and Brian Shaw are missing the point entirely. Guys like that are such extreme outliers on the bell curve they make up literally 0.000001 % of the population.
The fact is, it is extremely rare to find in shape big guys over 250 lbs. Next time you go to a big event, concert, sporting event or whatever just look around. The vast vast majority of guys over 20 are chubby out of shape, and unathletic. A fit and extremely skilled 160-185 lb fighter would absolutely wreck the VAST majority of big dudes, unless they happen to be the freak outliers like Shaw, Thor, Steorid Sapp, etc.

I think most people posting pics of Thor and Brian Shaw are missing the point entirely. Guys like that are such extreme outliers on the bell curve they make up literally 0.000001 % of the population.
The fact is, it is extremely rare to find in shape big guys over 250 lbs. Next time you go to a big event, concert, sporting event or whatever just look around. The vast vast majority of guys over 20 are chubby out of shape, and unathletic. A fit and extremely skilled 160-185 lb fighter would absolutely wreck the VAST majority of big dudes, unless they happen to be the freak outliers like Shaw, Thor, Steorid Sapp, etc.
Right. TS's specifically asked "could a big regular guy beat the small MMA fighters".

And most sherdoggers don't read the thread before responding.

I never did because playing football as a kid I learned my lesson, they can be pretty quick lil bastards and get a td from jumping and yanking your neck lol. Brutal shit took me out for the game.

I've seen more smaller men, 5'5 - 5'10' beat the fuck out of guys that are 5'11-6'3 out in the real world outside of Sherdog and the interwebs. This whole narrative that smaller can't compete against bigger is a urban myth conceived from larger men projecting their insecurities. That's the truth.

they can't compete that's why there is weight classes. the only reason the little guys beat the fuck out of the bigger guys in the "real world" is because obviously the big guy doesn't know how to fight and the little guy does. find a big guy who knows how to fight and he will mop the floor with the little guy.

I think these are two examples of just about the physical limit a trained grappler can handle a 400 lb man, twice the size of the biggest person you are likely to meet in an everyday setting. I think to handle Hafthor or Brian you'd need a skilled heavyweight grappler.
Or ya know, just Yoel Romero? Or most elite wrestlers in that weight neighborhood.

Doing a couple years of kickboxing was the most humbling experience of my life. I got my ass handed to me by 140lb Asian dudes. I seriously could not hit them and they would hit like trucks. The timing, reflexes, movement of someone who has been doing martial arts for a long time is on another level. Sparring with those guys is very, very different than the usual scrubs you fight at the bar.

This thread sounds like a Manlet trying to cope. I don't care how skilled/unskilled you are, size matters.
I can't find it but there is a video of a NFL play where a guy gets hit so hard he flips into the air. One of the linebackers looks up and catches him and stand him back up like he was a toddler. He literally caught a 6 ft+ 250lb+ NFL player like a child.

That kind of strength matters even if you don't know how to fight. If that man got ahold of a 160lb UFC fighter he would fuck him up as long as he has any fighting ability at all..

You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm 195 pounds and have sparred with 145 pound guys who can fuck me up. And i have training.

I've sparred with an untrained 6'5" 260 pound college football player who is half my age and handled him. Yeah, he hit hard, but he telegraphed them and didn't land cleanly if he landed at all.

A well trained fighter fucks up an untrained guy at almost any weight.

Size and strength matter, but won't overcome the skill of someone who trains regularly.

this is dumbest debate ever why do you think here are weight classes. and ppl that look like gods at a weightclass move up 10lbs and look average at best.

Doing a couple years of kickboxing was the most humbling experience of my life. I got my ass handed to me by 140lb Asian dudes. I seriously could not hit them and they would hit like trucks. The timing, reflexes, movement of someone who has been doing martial arts for a long time is on another level. Sparring with those guys is very, very different than the usual scrubs you fight at the bar.
if the little ones are giving you difficulties you better retire, a Kickboxer HW kills you in 5 seconds.

It's only some delusional Sherdoggers who think untrained dudes could beat UFC level smaller fighters just because they're small. Anyone who's ever trained with decent level fighters knows what's up.
I don't think Sherdog thinks in a straight up fight in an open area that an untrained 200 pound man can beat a 150 pound trained man.

I think what they mean is in a situation like a crowded bar if an untrained 200 pound guys lands a haymaker on a 150 trained fighter from the jump he's going to hurt that fighter. I tend to believe that. IDC who you are, unless you're prime Pride Big Nog, if you let a 200 pound man land a clean wind up punch to your face fighter or not you're going to have some problems.

I don't think Sherdog thinks in a straight up fight in an open area that an untrained 200 pound man can beat a 150 pound trained man.

I think what they mean is in a situation like a crowded bar if an untrained 200 pound guys lands a haymaker on a 150 trained fighter from the jump he's going to hurt that fighter. I tend to believe that. IDC who you are, unless you're prime Pride Big Nog, if you let a 200 pound man land a clean wind up punch to your face fighter or not you're going to have some problems.
If someone sucker punches someone else yes they can do damage…….is that the question here?

if the little ones are giving you difficulties you better retire, a Kickboxer HW kills you in 5 seconds.

Oh I’m not a fighter, I was just training for general fitness. In a real fight I’m sure even a 140lb guy kills me in 5 seconds lol

You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm 195 pounds and have sparred with 145 pound guys who can fuck me up. And i have training.

I've sparred with an untrained 6'5" 260 pound college football player who is half my age and handled him. Yeah, he hit hard, but he telegraphed them and didn't land cleanly if he landed at all.

A well trained fighter fucks up an untrained guy at almost any weight.

Size and strength matter, but won't overcome the skill of someone who trains regularly.
It’s mostly insecure people who have never sparred who don’t get this..

Back