I think Khabibs dad dying, plus covid, really helped reduce the number

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Of title defense he could have had. But who knows, next year when arenas are packed again. Is Khabib gonna wanna come back? Who knows. What we do know is Khabib doesn’t wanna tie up the belt for a year+ so it was not a selfish move to retire. Thus giving up the belt. You can really milk it and hold that belt for a long time if you want to.

Also, who is left for him? His last few fights had people pretty much split that Khabib was going to lose.
Conor's striking.
Dustin's power/wrestling/striking.
Same for Gaethje.
Dude dominated all three and while I will miss the Tony fight, it lacks the luster it previously had.

His dad is the sole reason...his dad was the one that kept khabib going in the UFC when khabib wanted to quit years earlier when he was bedridden with injuries...let that sink in how pivotal his dad was to him

I suspect it may depend a bit on what happens at LW, does someone else win the belt and look impressive enought to hype a fight 12-18 months down the line?

Dana is really going to need to show some respect though, he starts throwing carny shit at Khabib ala Fedor and I suspect he might never come back.

There is no challenge for him left at LW. He cleaned out the division. Only fight left would be Tony, but I don't think it would be much of a challenge for Khabib.

I can only see Khabib coming back for a fight with GSP. However I don't think GSP will be coming back.

His dad is the sole reason...his dad was the one that kept khabib going in the UFC when khabib wanted to quit years earlier when he was bedridden with injuries...let that sink in how pivotal his dad was to him
This is probably the most true, I remember when Khabib had that failed weight cut where he thought he was gonna die, he almost called it quits then, but his dad fucking pushed him, he became world champion etc, without dad there to push him, what motivation does Khabib have? He’s rich, has a family, still loves mma and will most likely coach. So there’s nothing else, unless he wants to move up and become a champ champ. But he doesn’t. So that’s the end of that.

Before his dad got sick, Khabib already inked a deal with the ufc to defend his title again. He honored that deal even after his dad died. But that’s it. He’s done.

I would add the bad weight cut as another reason.

We need weight classes every ten pounds from 125 to 205.

Abdulmanap always said he would retire “young.” He said Khabib would only fight 2-3 times after the Poirier fight.

People forgot that he was injured two full years.
I imagine his body is a mess, without father he doesn't want to do it anymore, and his mother asked him to stop.
It is what it is.

The only fight that makes sense for Khabib is GSP and thats it.

Without Injuries Khabib would've been Champ in 2015-2016 after he dominated RDA; instead, RDA went on and became champ in Khabibs absence.

He has had a shit ton of injuries. People don't understand how much pain these guys are in. Usman would probably retire if he could too.

Yeah after listening to Usman on the JRE and hearing how bad his shoulders and knees are I thought he's only got a handful of money fights before he dips out.

Of title defense he could have had. But who knows, next year when arenas are packed again. Is Khabib gonna wanna come back? Who knows. What we do know is Khabib doesn’t wanna tie up the belt for a year+ so it was not a selfish move to retire. Thus giving up the belt. You can really milk it and hold that belt for a long time if you want to.
The first time I had ever heard Khabib talk about retiring, he did it in context of it being normal for 30 year olds to be as elders in his village. That fighting was for young men in their 20's or younger.

This retirement thing could be 100% cultural. He could go on to play a new role in the lives of Dagastani prospects, as is traditional for his people.

Back