I think I saw hogweed today

Do you happen to be an alchemist?

Sounds like a material to be collected in WoW.

wild parsnip gets pretty big too tho. it's yellow in my area, not sure if there's a white variant. hmm is there a yellow variant of hogweed?
They do but not any where near hogweed size . They roughly stay same size to queens anne lace . About 1 ~ 2 meters in height .

The wild parsnips also produces this poison sap just not in the quantities of the hogweed as some parts of wild parsnips are edible while the hogweed is poison everywhere right down to the root . So it isnt ideal to touch the more " harmless " wild parsnips either . The hogweed is dangerous not only to people but its an evasive species that causes erosion around water bodies and needs professional removal so you have to catch before it seeds . You could really just keep mowing wild parsnip down as the root is not poison .

Yellow parsnip is the easiest of the poison trifecta to detect because the yellow flowers and leaves are small and grow parallel to each other on a leaf stem .

RVTp8US.jpg

White parsnip is harder to detect because the flowers look similar to hogweed and it grows a little larger than yellow parsnip or queen anne lace . Obviously hogweed is much bigger but detecting difference when the plants have not reached full size the primary way to tell is by the leaves . The white parsnip has thicker lobed leaves that grow off individual leaf stems coming off the main stem .

attpetiole1.jpg

MXndA2j.jpg

Hogweed leaves has no leaf stems . It has massive sharply lobed leaves that grow directly off the main stem of the plant , kind of like a palm tree leaf .

attsessile1.jpg

xYDN8Ur.png

Last edited:
They do but not any where near hogweed size . They roughly stay same size to queens anne lace . About 1 ~ 2 meters in height but the leaves and flowers are much smaller .

The wild parsnips also produces this poison sap just not in the quantities of the hogweed as some parts of wild parsnips are edible while the hogweed is poison everywhere right down to the root . So it isnt ideal to touch the more " harmless " wild parsnips either . The hogweed is dangerous not only to people but its an evasive species that causes erosion around water bodies and needs professional removal so you have to catch before it seeds . You could really just keep mowing wild parsip down as the root is not poison .

Yellow parsnip is the easiest of the poison trifecta to detect because the yellow flowers and leaves are small and grow parallel to each other on a leaf stem .

RVTp8US.jpg

White parsnip is harder to detect because the flowers look similar and it grows a little larger than yellow parsnip or queen anne lace . Obviously hogweed is much bigger but detecting difference when the plants have not reached full size the primary way to tell is by the leaves . The white parsnip has thicker lobed leaves that grow off individual leaf stems coming off the main stem .

attpetiole1.jpg

MXndA2j.jpg

Hogweed leaves has no leaf stems . It has massive sharply lobed leaves that grow directly off the main stem of the plant .

attsessile1.jpg

xYDN8Ur.png

Thank you! This provides much more education than I provided in my OP

Back