I think David Benavidez is the biggest threat to Canelo

Guess what, Canelo is also plodding, and slower than Benavidez. Anyone who thinks he is easy work for Canelo, knows nothing about boxing literally. A terrible match up I think he beats Canelo possibly stops him. Just too big and strong. That's why Canelo has been ducking him and never mentions his name.
Canelo is definitely not slow. Thats an absurd claim.

And don't pull the "I know more about boxing than anyone" card with me.

He's been saying that tired shit in every thread he posts in.

He's been saying that tired shit in every thread he posts in.

Anyone who says something like "if you don't agree with my opinion you know nothing about boxing" deserves what that gym bully got.

<Bottle.gif>

He has slow feet, just walks forward, usually flat footed. he's a plodding boxer puncher.

Hard not to when you make ridiculous claims that nobody else in boxing has made, like Benavidez would be easy work for Canelo. Many feel he actually beats him, like Leonard Ellerbe. Canelo loves to just sit in the pocket guard up waiting to counter, which is easy against the likes of a shot kovalev and Callum Smith but against someone like Benavidez he will get lit up, he is a monster.

So a year and a half later, I'll say he has slowed some. Maybe its a slump and he'll pick it back up but if this is the beginning of a trend, he'll have a tough time.

He's 32, there's no reason for him to be slower or "magically" not be in his prime anymore.
He's simple too short for 168 and 175 (5.7/8" - 70" reach), he'll beat many guys in those weight classes, but sound technical guys as Bivol (6.0" - 72" reach) or with great power as Benevidez (6.1" - 74.5" reach) it will always be a difficult task.
Moreover, Canelo best work is with his speed as counter puncher, which is harder with such height/reach disadvantage, and with the extra pounds needed in those weight classes.

I assume that once he returns to his proper weight class he'll be as fast and dominant as before.

He's 32, there's no reason for him to be slower or "magically" not be in his prime anymore.
He's simple too short for 168 and 175 (5.7/8" - 70" reach), he'll beat many guys in those weight classes, but sound technical guys as Bivol (6.0" - 72" reach) or with great power as Benevidez (6.1" - 74.5" reach) it will always be a difficult task.
Moreover, Canelo best work is with his speed as counter puncher, which is harder with such height/reach disadvantage, and with the extra pounds needed in those weight classes.

I assume that once he returns to his proper weight class he'll be as fast and dominant as before.
The number of fights and length of his career matter more than his age at this point.
Also, we have seen multiple fighters go up in weight further than they should of lose speed and never regain it. Not to mention he is injured and needing surgery. His style also isn't really all that friendly for longevity. Hes also been beat on by some bigger guys even in his wins.
Only time will tell.

You have a point, although IMO i really think its the extra weight and the up and down in weight the biggest factors.
As you said, time will tell!

The number of fights and length of his career matter more than his age at this point.
Also, we have seen multiple fighters go up in weight further than they should of lose speed and never regain it. Not to mention he is injured and needing surgery. His style also isn't really all that friendly for longevity. Hes also been beat on by some bigger guys even in his wins.
Only time will tell.
Constant fight camps with out any real time to recuperate is a great way to wear your body down.

So a year and a half later, I'll say he has slowed some. Maybe its a slump and he'll pick it back up but if this is the beginning of a trend, he'll have a tough time.

Funny how everyone is slowly realizing what I was saying 18 months ago. Its called being ahead of the game.

Funny how everyone is slowly realizing what I was saying 18 months ago. Its called being ahead of the game.
Well, thats because there was no real sign of it 18 months ago and you were making shit up to be edgy.

Yes there was it was just not as obvious to the fan boys who are blinded by the cash cow. The next obvious thing you will eventually realize is Canelo never steps into the ring with Benavidez.

Everyone knows he's a big threat but the conversation has been subverted into poster wars, pick a side lol

Benavidez is going to KO old man Canelo in a few years.

Benavidez has still fought no one worth a shit since this thread was made lmao. Amazing.

Yeah, it's not like anybody saw that coming at all.

Back