I think David Benavidez is the biggest threat to Canelo

If they fight today id favor Canelo, what bugs me is Benavidez’ weight problem, the later this fight is made the more it favors Canelo and by that time Benavidez would get ko’d, and this is all anecdotal about Benavidez’ weight problems, he’s young enough to get away with if its true, also a Canelo fight would motivate the fuck out of anybody right now and hopefully he can make the weight without any problems.

The best version Saunders gives Canelo a good effort.

Am I the only that thinks Plant gives Canelo the toughest fight at 168?

I havent seen Plant’s chin get tested before but if he can take Canelo’s punch and keep away from the body shots Canelo is in for a long night.

Am I the only that thinks Plant gives Canelo the toughest fight at 168?

I havent seen Plant’s chin get tested before but if he can take Canelo’s punch and keep away from the body shots Canelo is in for a long night.
I think Plant is tailor made for Canelo. He's not busy enough. He's slick and would probably make it some rounds but would get widely outpointed, I think.

Everyone is the biggest threat to Canelo until he shuts them out or puts them to sleep. I'm sure he'll lose eventually but to pretend he has any glaring weaknesses that any contender can capitalize on is silly.

I think Plant is tailor made for Canelo. He's not busy enough. He's slick and would probably make it some rounds but would get widely outpointed, I think.
Agreed.

Plant is a good boxer, moves well for his weight, but he isn't great anywhere, at least from what I've seen.

Decent speed, decent power, decent feet, but not great anywhere. I could see canelo countering him easily after feeling him out for a couple of rounds.

BJS moves better than plans, and we've seen that fighters that have quick feet give canelo the most trouble(lara, trout, floyd)

Canelo has gotten much better since those fights, but a prepared BJS could make things interesting.

Canelo still wins though. BJS ain't koing Canelo, and lord knows he isn't winning a dec.

Benavidez is certainly an interesting matchup. Has some qualities that might give Canelo some issues but ultimately won't mean much IMO. He's a lumbering slugger type aka a human punching bag for someone as skilled and formidable as Canelo.

Canelo's kryptonite retired from the sport. Despite that, he's struggled with opponents who come from that school of fighting, which only reinforces my belief that the likeliest fighter to beat him is the slick boxer w/ great hand speed and decent pop. Essentially, someone who's very mobile, proficient w/ the counterpunch, and has enough mustard on his punches to garner respect.

BJS has some of those ingredients but they're not in enough quantity for me to give him good odds.

Benavidez’s potential is here. He’s the best of the crop this side of Canelo, he has the speed and the pop to make him think, but there will always be concerns about his focus.
Agreed, Benavidez is the biggest potential of the bunch, but if word of distractions is true, biggest question mark as well. Covid layoff worries me.

Agreed, Benavidez is the biggest potential of the bunch, but if word of distractions is true, biggest question mark as well. Covid layoff worries me.

And you don't go to war against prime Alvarez if you're not focused as hell, bringing your sharpest tactical thinking and in the best shape of your fighting career.

If we're talking about David Benavidez, that's a lot of "ifs".

Benavidez has a lot of raw talent, but I don't think he's polished enough yet to really push Canelo. He's not great defensively and is there to be countered all night. He's also got pretty heavy feet. If you're looking at young guys with a lot of raw talent, I think Morrell might be a better guy to look at as a potential foil for Canelo.

Benavidez has a lot of raw talent, but I don't think he's polished enough yet to really push Canelo. He's not great defensively and is there to be countered all night. He's also got pretty heavy feet. If you're looking at young guys with a lot of raw talent, I think Morrell might be a better guy to look at as a potential foil for Canelo.
I think out of Callum, BJS, Plant, and Benavidez, Callum will have the best performance against Canelo and was the only won who could've beat him, if you had to favor one of them to pull it off.

I think out of Callum, BJS, Plant, and Benavidez, Callum will have the best performance against Canelo and was the only won who could've beat him, if you had to favor one of them to pull it off.

Tough to say. I think Smith's big chance was to lean on his left hook and hope for the best but I don't think he ever had the volume and stamina to outpoint Canelo unless he really got his respect early (and Canelo is simply too sharp defensively and too sharp of a counter puncher to beat by just leaning on one shot like that all night). That plus the huge size difference might've been more meaningful than what Plant and Saunders bring to the table. Plant might give Canelo some more issues in terms of landing because he has decent feet and some slickness, but there's nothing about him that makes me think he can win over 12 rounds (his volume isn't high enough and he's obviously not a dangerous puncher or meaningfully quicker than Canelo). Same goes for Saunders, really. I don't know how Saunders keeps a high enough volume while stifling Canelo's bodywork over 12 rounds, but he could make things relatively difficult on Canelo early.

And you don't go to war against prime Alvarez if you're not focused as hell, bringing your sharpest tactical thinking and in the best shape of your fighting career.

If we're talking about David Benavidez, that's a lot of "ifs".

Yeah. Similar to Tank Davis in many respects.

If Canelo were to be up for it, I consider Bivol the biggest threat but it’s understandable if he never goes for that fight. That guy is just a nightmare to fight against

I can’t stand BJS, but he gives Canelo the toughest fight at 168. I still think Canelo wins 8-4/7-5ish.
Beterbiev would beat Canelo... no way his team wants that fight.

Benavidez is certainly an interesting matchup. Has some qualities that might give Canelo some issues but ultimately won't mean much IMO. He's a lumbering slugger type aka a human punching bag for someone as skilled and formidable as Canelo.

Ye he's plodding but he's not just an ordinary plodder, he has fantastic speed, power, combinations and a massive size advantage over Canelo plus a vicious mentality. . How is he going to be a punching bag for Canelo with those attributes? You think he's another callum smith? lol

Too slow and plodding. Easy work for Canelo. No one at 168 is beating Canelo.

Guess what, Canelo is also plodding, and slower than Benavidez. Anyone who thinks he is easy work for Canelo, knows nothing about boxing literally. A terrible match up I think he beats Canelo possibly stops him. Just too big and strong. That's why Canelo has been ducking him and never mentions his name.

Back