I think David Benavidez is the biggest threat to Canelo

Iceferg

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I think Benavidez with his speed and power height and reach is the biggest threat to Canelo. I actually would favour him in that fight.

Out of the other guys at SMW at least I think Canelo beats them. I can't see any of them hurting Canelo.

Let me know what you all think but that's who I rate as top man at SMW.

I think Benavidez with his speed and power height and reach is the biggest threat to Canelo. I actually would favour him in that fight.

Out of the other guys at SMW at least I think Canelo beats them. I can't see any of them hurting Canelo.

Let me know what you all think but that's who I rate as top man at SMW.

Imo no smw is gonna beat him. I think he’ll handle all of them rather easily. I don’t think he’ll hit a real problem unless he faces beterbiev, or possibly bivol. I pick both to beat him, as they should being so much bigger

Benavidez beats Canelo up. The judges couldn't possibly make up the disparity in punches landed. This fight will never happen though, too risky and 'he doesn't want to fight another Mexican';)

SMW maybe.

Golovkin had 2 very close fights with Canelo. There has not been a really decisive winner in both fights. Canelo is undisputed PFP1 by far for many people, including me. A lot of poeple thought GGG won the first, the second could have been a draw. I dont get why it seems on here noone wants to see a third.
Sure he is old and its not getting better. So the sooner the better. If GGG wants a third he deserves it in my opinon. Thats the fight I would like to see end of year.

Benavidez’s potential is here. He’s the best of the crop this side of Canelo, he has the speed and the pop to make him think, but there will always be concerns about his focus.

Basically how i feel too.

Benavidez doesn't take a backwards step, has power, throws unusual punches and wouldn't fight timid.

Now if only he could actually focus without doing something dumb that would be great.

Basically how i feel too.

Benavidez doesn't take a backwards step, has power, throws unusual punches and wouldn't fight timid.

Now if only he could actually focus without doing something dumb that would be great.

He could turn out to be a spectacular waste of talent. I’m still a believer, though.

I think you are undervaluing Canelo's defense. He really doesn't get hit flush very often, and I think he beats Benavidez decisively. GGG didn't hurt him, Kovalev didn't either, so I'm not going to bet on Benavidez. He hasn't been in the ring with a technician like Canelo, and if you have a guy with questionable mental make-up in the ring with Canelo than Canelo and his team will exploit that glaring weakness. He'll set a complex trap and he has the experience edge.

Plus, when was Canelo done a really poor job against pressure fighters? Let's say you think he lost the first GGG fight just for arguments sake. You're going to count that "loss" against him? GGG is among the best ever at middleweight. Canelo has only improved since then. I think the way to beat Canelo is to outbox him, and Benavidez isn't going to do that.

Benavidez’s potential is here. He’s the best of the crop this side of Canelo, he has the speed and the pop to make him think, but there will always be concerns about his focus.
It’s not about focus, it’s discipline and self control. The dude lost his title on the scale. That says mountains about where his head and his heart is as a boxer

You have to be disciplined as well as talented to beat Canelo, and a guy dabbles in hard drugs and can’t make weight for a title fight doesn’t stand a chance.

SMW has bigger guys with less talent. Benavides is wide open for body punches, plods, and is there for counter punching.

The two most talented at 168 are BJS and Caleb Plant. Canelo is at SMW, too, now. There's not much more.

Probably at this point, yeah. I think the toughest fight for Canelo at 168 is down the road vs Morrell. Morrell is gonna take off and take off fast IMO, seems super talented and seems to be adapting to the pros really quickly.

It’s not about focus, it’s discipline and self control. The dude lost his title on the scale. That says mountains about where his head and his heart is as a boxer

That’s what I was meaning. I guess we do agree.

Probably at this point, yeah. I think the toughest fight for Canelo at 168 is down the road vs Morrell. Morrell is gonna take off and take off fast IMO, seems super talented and seems to be adapting to the pros really quickly.

He’s certainly an interesting prospect and seems to be a fast learner. We’ll see when he’s ready for elite fights.

and his mandatory is Ryder i believe so that will tell us a lot.

Benavidez beats Canelo up. The judges couldn't possibly make up the disparity in punches landed. This fight will never happen though, too risky and 'he doesn't want to fight another Mexican';)
Benavidez would piss hot or screw the fight up on the scales, they'd need to have a backup fighter on the card to slot into the main.

Back