I talked to a guy today that trained at MFS back in the day

I dunno. When I think of the most arrogant athletes out there, I think of NFL and NBA players.
Deion Sanders, Allen Iverson, Terrell Owens, etc. Those guys took cockiness to the next level. Hughes is pretty middling by comparison.
Because they're black?

eSX5q.gif

Hughes' book was cringeworthy, but he is still one of my faves. The rumor was that it was pretty full on at MFS on full sparring days. Timmy used to cry.

There was a breakdown a while back about Hughes' book and it almost seemed like a huge troll job, hilarious and downright depressing at times.

I favorited that thread, but it got deleted after a while. Some of the stuff in it was truly shocking. Matt Hughes would hurt people's feelings for fun and take pride from it. Impossible not to despise an individual like him, but I guess that's what he wanted after all.

not to play psychologist too much, but does matt have a father in his life? most guys i've known growing up who were assholes, didn't have father-figures in their life.

Considering Matt mocked GSP about his armbar defense on TUF, and GSP beats him the very same way... Oh what satisfaction.

Ok, now I feel compelled to post what is probaly the greatest MMA highlight video of all time.

Ladies and Shertards, may I present... GSP's Bloodsport Karma.

lol is there anybody anywhere that likes matt hughes?

To respond to your post I was going to try to find a photo of Matt Hughes mom. I figured that she probably likes him. But in my search an odd link popped up.

MATT HUGHES MOM FUCK VIDEO XXX

I did not click that link. Probably a different Matt Hughes.

Anyways in a another link there was apparently a story where Matt threatened to throw his mom out a window because she corrected him. So maybe she doesn't like him either.

Holy shit... that books sound amazing in the worst kind of way.

Some highlights from that review...
Chapter 3

Things take a very interesting turn in chapter 3 when Mark and Matt's father has the balls to scold Mark for riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Without letting him finish, the Hughes brothers, physically attack their father, and beat the shit out of him, finally showing him who's boss. Later Mark threatens to throw his mom out of a window or something like that when she's stupid enough to correct him. Not surprisingly the family splits up.

Chapter 4

Matt cheats his way through college getting A's in classes he proudly says he never attended. He and the other wrestlers bully everybody at Lincoln Junior College, and break a bunch of shit. They tip over people's cars, and flood the dorms on purpose. We reach a new low, when he also makes light of the fact that one of his college buddies could not read or write. He then takes time to bash Frank Trigg, saying that he "never became anything."

Later it gets even more disturbing when he describes mutilating a live baby piglet by cutting off it's testicles, and throwing them at a friend. For good measure he slits it's stomach open as it screams wildly to "freak his friend out." After he and Mark brutally torture and kill a dozen or so baby pigs, solely for entertainment, they starts throwing their testicles and body parts at each other. Matt even now still seems amused because his friend looked like he was going to vomit.

Ok, now I feel compelled to post what is probaly the greatest MMA highlight video of all time.

Classic Epicness. This guy was a rockstar and made some of the coolest MMA content out there; especially shit with GSP.

I'm getting butterflies watching the training montage; the same feeling I get watching Scott Ferrozzo fight.

Must watch for every MMA fan.

Last edited:
Hughes was a bully loved being the hammer but not the nail

The octagon was GSP's Kumite!

There's usually a lot of back and forth between fans on fighter's personalities and what they are like outside of the cage...alot of speculation and a lot of fighter bashing.

Hughes is one of the few guys where is there is legitimately no argument disputing that he's an asshole

I remember at the UFC 65 weigh ins Hughes didn't want to talk to anyone and was even a dickish to a few people. GSP was more than happy to talk with fans that approached him, a friend of mine had a conversation with him about wrestling technique and said GSP was probably one of the nicest MMA guys he'd ever met. I met big Tim that day and he was great with fans even though people rag on the guy on these online forums.

There was a breakdown a while back about Hughes' book and it almost seemed like a huge troll job, hilarious and downright depressing at times.
I remember that thread. When I first read it I honestly thought it was a hilarious joke. Hughes is kind of a sociopath

I remember that thread. When I first read it I honestly thought it was a hilarious joke. Hughes is kind of a sociopath
I was amazed he could release a book like that with a straight face

Back