I talked to a guy today that trained at MFS back in the day

Hughes to this day is still one of the most accomplished fighters in the history of the sport. Honestly when an athlete of that caliber dominates that thoroughly, I'm surprised when he isn't a pompous ass.
Pompous is one thing. A shitty person is another. They don't go hand and hand.

Then I asked if he ever met Hughes & with no hesitation he said "Matt was an ass"

I have never in my life heard anyone say anything nice about Hughes ever. Not fans, not fighters, not business associates. Pretty hard to do if you think about it.

Usually if you dont like someone people dont answer the question or side step it in some way; except with Matt; people can barely finish the questions and the other guy will immediately blurt out with like "Matt's an asshole".

At least you can say that success didnt change him, because from what I heard he was disliked way before he made it in MMA.

Last edited:
Back in about 2010 I saw Matt Hughes sitting at a booth at the St. Louis deer classic. It was kinda weird because no one was paying any attention to him. He was just sitting there all alone with kind of a douchy look on his face. Just got a weird vibe from him. \m.
Same exact thing happened when I saw him in Houston in 2013 (NRA national convention). Was sitting behind a booth with a sour look on his face

I dunno. When I think of the most arrogant athletes out there, I think of NFL and NBA players.
Deion Sanders, Allen Iverson, Terrell Owens, etc. Those guys took cockiness to the next level. Hughes is pretty middling by comparison.

Because they're black?

We used to have that pro fighter posting on here back in the day. 205'er he was, few fights at heavyweight I think too. Mike C something, he had a Polish surname.

He trained at MFS and used to post some good stories on here.
Ciesnolevicz (or something like that) I believe. I think he tapped Neil Grove with a nasty leg lock back in like '09. Maybe the other way around idk. That dude was never able to put it all together. Talented guy though.

Hughes to this day is still one of the most accomplished fighters in the history of the sport. Honestly when an athlete of that caliber dominates that thoroughly, I'm surprised when he isn't a pompous ass.

I was a fan big time.
There was nothing like going on SD to read all the crying and butt hurt over Matt.
He was a champion of making people cry on the interwebs and he did not even try.

slomogspsubmitsmatthughes_medium.gif

tumblr_nsx5hoyqoJ1u2ragso1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_n7xaf7lXbi1rnp7pho6_250.gif

tumblr_mwa5eblXtW1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Today I asked my boss if I could come in late on the 27th so I can watch the silva fight. After I mentioned Silva he started talking about the old Miletich gym. He said he used to train there & that it was small & not fancy at all. It was connected to an old barber shop. He talked about how Pulver used to drive a good ways to train there & what a nice guy he was. Then I asked if he ever met Hughes & with no hesitation he said "Matt was an ass"
He said Matt was one of those guys that thought his shit didn't stink. He also said that he missed the days where it was more of a fight than a sport & that he always found Royce Gracie to be boring. Anyways, just thought I'd share. Anyone got any similar stories?
I liked your story.

Also, I used to think and say Militech (military fighting) instead of Miletich.

My cousin used to train in Chicago and occasionally MFS guys would come in to do seminars and training workshops, so he met Hughes a few times. I asked him straight up if Matt was as much of a dick as everyone says and without hesitation he said "no, he's an even bigger dick than people say."

He said Jens was pretty cool, very intense when training/sparring but nice guy when not on the mat.

I was a fan big time.
There was nothing like going on SD to read all the crying and butt hurt over Matt.
He was a champion of making people cry on the interwebs and he did not even try.

what are you, like 13 or something?

Matt just has a dry sense of humor that offends most people but he is randomly moody as well.

Lol. Lots of love shown to Matt in this thread...

Cool that your boss is a MMA fan from the good old days, not something you find out often.

Back