I talked to a guy today that trained at MFS back in the day

There was a lot of reviews like that one about his book. Referencing passages about him mis-treating his wife, and others and basically enjoying doing it. Just being a general piece of shit. But tbh most of us knew that before the book. The book just solidified those views. Great athlete/fighter. Terrible human being.
I read it years ago on a plane. I bought it at a bookstore in the airport because I left my other book at home lol.

Anyway, he and his brother hooked up with his (matt's) wife when she was like 14 and they were in college. He married her a few years later. He also cut up pigs and threw their guts at people. That's not even getting into the bullying and shit. That guy's a mess.

Matt was just an unapologetic alpha. Not surprised people dont like it.

I read it years ago on a plane. I bought it at a bookstore in the airport because I left my other book at home lol.

Anyway, he and his brother hooked up with his (matt's) wife when she was like 14 and they were in college. He married her a few years later. He also cut up pigs and threw their guts at people. That's not even getting into the bullying and shit. That guy's a mess.
Oh big time. About as big of an ego as you can find basically. I liked watching his fights. But I never actually supported him in any way for these reasons. Watching Gsp trounce him twice after falling to him in their first match was a very sweet thing to watch. The two ko's at the end up of his career were satisfying too. Not quite karma, but as close as we'll probably get to seeing actual karma for him being a dick to people for the majority of his life.

slomogspsubmitsmatthughes_medium.gif

Oh big time. About as big of an ego as you can find basically. I liked watching his fights. But I never actually supported him in any way for these reasons. Watching Gsp trounce him twice after falling to him in their first match was a very sweet thing to watch. The two ko's at the end up of his career were satisfying too. Not quite karma, but as close as we'll probably get to seeing actual karma for him being a dick to people for the majority of his life.
As a wrestler myself I was very happy about his success, but after TUF and his book, I loved seeing alves beat him senseless.

Hughes to this day is still one of the most accomplished fighters in the history of the sport. Honestly when an athlete of that caliber dominates that thoroughly, I'm surprised when he isn't a pompous ass.

Hughes to this day is still one of the most accomplished fighters in the history of the sport. Honestly when an athlete of that caliber dominates that thoroughly, I'm surprised when he isn't a pompous ass.
.true to a point but Hughes is way past pompous. Hughes is a super jock villi an straight out of fiction.

so let me get this....he thinks royce is boring but bj is exciting
mc92cz_large.jpg

Picture19_crop_north.png

.true to a point but Hughes is way past pompous. Hughes is a super jock villi an straight out of fiction.
I dunno. When I think of the most arrogant athletes out there, I think of NFL and NBA players.
Deion Sanders, Allen Iverson, Terrell Owens, etc. Those guys took cockiness to the next level. Hughes is pretty middling by comparison.

I was at UFC 136 for both the Fan Expo and the fights cage side. The night before the Expo started, I showed up to the hotel the fighters were staying at, which was the Hilton in downtown Houston. The first person I ran into was Tyrone Spong. I thought he was Mike Kyle at first until he turned around. Spoke to him for a brief moment and went to the bar to grab a beer. That's when Jens Pulver came right beside me to order a drink. I was like WTF!!!!!

I got my beer and he was like, "Hell dude, come on over and sit with us. "Us" being Brandon Vera, Jeremy Stephens, Clay Guida and of course Jens Pulver. Me and Jens talked for a good hour about the old days of MMA. Then once they got their rooms, they all headed out. I was fucking stoked! Then two days of the Expo, Joe Rogan's comedy show at the Verizon Wireless theater, the weighins and then the fights cage side. I spent about $3,000 on two tickets for me and my girl, drinks, food, memorabilia and other fun stuff.

I remember at the UFC 65 weigh ins Hughes didn't want to talk to anyone and was even a dickish to a few people. GSP was more than happy to talk with fans that approached him, a friend of mine had a conversation with him about wrestling technique and said GSP was probably one of the nicest MMA guys he'd ever met. I met big Tim that day and he was great with fans even though people rag on the guy on these online forums.

There was a breakdown a while back about Hughes' book and it almost seemed like a huge troll job, hilarious and downright depressing at times.

We used to have that pro fighter posting on here back in the day. 205'er he was, few fights at heavyweight I think too. Mike C something, he had a Polish surname.

He trained at MFS and used to post some good stories on here.

Mike Ciesnolevic is the guy your talking about i think. he had a fight or two in the ufc

Back in about 2010 I saw Matt Hughes sitting at a booth at the St. Louis deer classic. It was kinda weird because no one was paying any attention to him. He was just sitting there all alone with kind of a douchy look on his face. I was actually a fan of his, but made no effort to talk to him. Not saying he's a bad guy by any means. Just got a weird vibe from him. Who knows though. Had I started talking hunting with him, maybe I woulda had a completely different perspective of him.

51KYOSaRWBL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I checked this book out at the library last month. I'd definitely recommend it, was a very good read, lots of stories about MFS.

Back