I suck, help me out

bgomez89

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my friend and I have been learning how to box for about a month now and decided to try sparring. This is at our gym and we have an instructor watching/timing the rounds and while he did give us some advice i would like some more. I know both of us look ridiculous and I'm definitely not the kind of guy who's going to try and defend myself against something you say so all I ask is that you guys be sort of gentle in your comments I guess. So yeah, I'm the one in the blue shirt, not sure how to embed vimeo videos so ill just post the link

Sparring Match No. 2 Round 1 on Vimeo

you arm punch, need to stay light on your feet, keep back foot on ball not flat, saw you drop your right and overextend your jab, bend your knees some, sit on your punches, throw more punches, throw more jabs

You're circling in the wrong direction. You should cirlcle to the outiside of his jab, not into his cross. Not bad for a first spar, though.

Not bad for a month of training. A few things i noticed were that you tend to reach too far when you are trying to parry/catch punches, which will leave you open against an opponent who knows how to feint. Also sometimes when your opponent was attacking your body you would lower your arms to defend instead of lowering your body, a good boxer will catch on and go upstairs when you bring those arms down. You also leaned back with your chin up a couple times, eventually you'll get clean doing that. Overall pretty impressed since you have only trained for a month. Also you CAN circle towards his right hand, you just need to be aware of what you could run into, if you only move in one direction then your opponent is going to figure you out, always mix things up whether it be footwork, head movement, blocking.

iv been training for 2 years and im still shit

Last edited:
thanks for the replies everyone. Just a couple questions, what's sitting down on your punches? Also what are some ways to not "arm punch"?

Sitting down on your punches means to keep your feet planted and put your body into the punch. This will help you avoid arm punching. A good example of NOT sitting into your punch and arm punching is at 1:41 where you sorta hop towards your partner and throw a weak left hook with your arm while you keep moving.

But yeah you look pretty good for 1 month. I've seen much worse sparring from guys at my Muay Thai gym that have over 6 months of training.

You've been boxing for a month, don't expect too much lol. Just have fun with it and you'll get better over time

Back