I suck at Squats/DL

nrs02004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As per the title, I suck at squats/deadlifts. Every time I include them in a lifting program I manage to hurt myself, and when I do them regularly I experience lower back pain. I really try to keep strict form, honestly I do, but somehow I seem to always fail?

The main problem I have is that when I try to keep my back arched up, my ass out, and my shins perpendicular to the ground I always feel like I'm going to roll backwards and land on my ass. So in order to counterbalance this and keep my center of gravity over my feet, I lean way forward (while keeping my back arched, and ass out). Now I'm pretty sure that I'm not rolling my back, but afterwards my back is really unhappy with me. Is this due to crappy form, or just a very weak lower back/core?

Now, when I don't worry about keeping my shins perpendicular to the ground, and let my knees move in front of my feet my back is much better off. However, I have been told that this is bad for my knees (perhaps i'm being lied to?).

I know that I'm supposed to lift heavy with squats and D/Ls but given that I keep hurting myself is there some benefit to going light and doing sets of 10-12 rather than not doing them at all?

To give some idea of how much I suck at squats/DL, I max out on the bench at about 280 without being in danger of hurting myself, and at about 225 on squats and DL (and still manage to mess up my back/hip...) :(

I know that squats/DL are really important, but I also know that doing them incorrectly is a very bad idea. What would you guys suggest I do?

1) Video your squat and DL

2) Post them here

3) Find out that your form has "some issues"

4) get your ejumakayshun

5) work on your form.

yes when your knees track forward past your feet this is when it is dangerous for the knees. a little is ok but a lot is bad

6) profit?

thx for the replies. I'll see if i can borrow a video camera. :)

I'm like the exact opposite of you xD. My bench is embarrassing.

Back