I Stopped a guy with a gun today who tried to rob my store.

chicksdigscars

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what the mma world thinks. I myself am not sure if I am an idiot for not complying with a guy with a gun. and am honestly not sure myself If I did the right thing by taking the fight to him. I am going to speak honestly here and want real feedback. please don't be rude as this was a real event that I am having real trouble debating myself if what I did was the right thing or if im some kind of reckless @hole. here's what happened very very recently...I work at a very popular jewelery store that is probably at every mall. a man came into the store 20 minutes before it was about to close. there was already a female costumer in there who seemed friendly who my 22 year old girl accioate was working with. the man came in and sat down. and I went to help him. I was sitting across from him at the counter with diamonds in glass between us. we talked and I showed him jewelry for about 6 minutes and he seemed okay a little grimy but an okay guy. than while I was showing him a ring he leaned over drooped a bag in my lap and told me to fill it. I started complying and he started telling me to go faster. I asked if he had a gun and he said yes you know I do flashed it and said and im serious with it. he than took his hands off the gun and was within my reach. I thought this will be my only time to take control of this guy if I am going to make a move i have to do it now because if he gets distance than me and the girl would be at the will of the gun. I hit my panic button told my girl coworker to run for help and jumped over the counter at the guy. I am 5'8 125 pounds. the man I went after looked to be in his 40's 170 not great shape. I grabed his arms with the goal of thinking I could keep the guy from getting his gun for 5-10 seconds which would allow my coworker to escape. the gun was knocked loose during the struggle. and within seconds I had a tight standing rear naked choke( at this point I didnt know the gun was loose) and was worried that the rnc was a bad choice as his hands were free to get into his hoodie. I brought the man to the ground and saw the gun on the floor. A another gentleman came into the store who I thought was coming into help me. he stood over us calmly than picked up the gun. I realized than that he was in on it. he could of shot me but didnt. he calmly left through the crowd of people who I was yelling at to call the cops and security. (they were too busy filming the fight and laughing to do so) the man at this point was unchonchess from the choke. and I sat on his chest waiting for him to wake up with my fist raised. he didnt awake for some time and I told him if he moved I would punch him. two civilians helped me restrain him when he tried to fight again.. at which point I arm-bared him and the other two used there wait until security finally arrived.
The girl said that I saved her life but I think thats just what people sayin situations like this. this choice to fight could have resulted in this man takeing her life. especialy becouse when I thought there was only one man there were actualy 3 robbers. (the woman was involved as well) the woman and the man who picked up the gun got away.
I do not have any mma formal mma experience or wressleing,boxing,esc except for messing around with my friends fairly often and knowing that I did exceptionaly well against them. I have also been in a few street fights against much larger opponets and faired extreamly well. I felt confident that I could restrain this gentelman for the amount of time that it would have taken for the girl to escape into the mall. so I made a move when the oppritunity was there.
please give me input on how you think I handled it. I would like friendly critical advice on if this was incrediably dumb or if you felt in the same situation you would have done the same thing. please comment on if I used the wrong tecnique as the rear naked left his hands open should I have hit him instead esc.. thank you and again this really happened please do not be mean in your responses as I am shook up as I feel conflicted if this was the right decision becouse it could have cost the girl her life as well as mine. Thank you

Cool story.

Edited for readability.

I was wondering what the mma world thinks. I myself am not sure if I am an idiot for not complying with a guy with a gun. and am honestly not sure myself If I did the right thing by taking the fight to him.

I am going to speak honestly here and want real feedback. please don't be rude as this was a real event that I am having real trouble debating myself if what I did was the right thing or if I'm some kind of reckless @hole. here's what happened very very recently...I work at a very popular jewelry store that is probably at every mall.

A man came into the store 20 minutes before it was about to close. there was already a female costumer in there who seemed friendly who my 22 year old girl associate was working with. The man came in and sat down. and I went to help him.

I was sitting across from him at the counter with diamonds in glass between us. we talked and I showed him jewelry for about 6 minutes and he seemed okay a little grimy but an okay guy. Than while I was showing him a ring he leaned over drooped a bag in my lap and told me to fill it. I started complying and he started telling me to go faster.

I asked if he had a gun and he said yes you know I do flashed it and said and I'm serious with it. he than took his hands off the gun and was within my reach. I thought this will be my only time to take control of this guy if I am going to make a move i have to do it now because if he gets distance than me and the girl would be at the will of the gun. I hit my panic button told my girl coworker to run for help and jumped over the counter at the guy.

I am 5'8 125 pounds. the man I went after looked to be in his 40's 170 not great shape. I grabbed his arms with the goal of thinking I could keep the guy from getting his gun for 5-10 seconds which would allow my coworker to escape. the gun was knocked loose during the struggle. and within seconds I had a tight standing rear naked choke (at this point I didn't know the gun was loose) and was worried that the rnc was a bad choice as his hands were free to get into his hoodie. I brought the man to the ground and saw the gun on the floor. Another gentleman came into the store who I thought was coming into help me. He stood over us calmly than picked up the gun.

I realized than that he was in on it. He could of shot me but didn't. He calmly left through the crowd of people who I was yelling at to call the cops and security (they were too busy filming the fight and laughing to do so). The man at this point was unconscious from the choke so I sat on his chest waiting for him to wake up with my fist raised. He didn't wake up for some time and I told him if he moved I would punch him. Two civilians helped me restrain him when he tried to fight again, at which point I arm-bared him and the other two used their weigh until security finally arrived.

The girl said that I saved her life but I think that's just what people say in situations like this. This choice to fight could have resulted in this man taking her life. especially because when I thought there was only one man there were actually 3 robbers (the woman was involved as well). The woman and the man who picked up the gun got away.

I do not have any formal mma experience or wrestling,boxing etc except for messing around with my friends fairly often and know that I did exceptionally well against them. I have also been in a few street fights against much larger opponents and fared extremely well. I felt confident that I could restrain this gentleman for the amount of time that it would have taken for the girl to escape into the mall. So I made a move when the opportunity was there.

Please give me input on how you think I handled it. I would like friendly critical advice on if this was incredibly dumb or if you felt in the same situation you would have done the same thing. Please comment on if I used the wrong technique as the rear naked left his hands open should I have hit him instead etc.

Thank you and again this really happened please do not be mean in your responses as I am shook up as I feel conflicted if this was the right decision because it could have cost the girl her life as well as mine.

Thank you

Was the girl you "saved" in on it? If not, then you didn't save her. You put her in danger.

It was extremely dangerous to engange in a grappling match with one robber, for several reasons. You discovered that there were two other people in on it, who you were not initially aware of and they could attack you as you were preoccupied with restraining the first assailant, you do not have substantial grappling experience and could come out on the losing end, and you escalated the situation. The goods in your store are insured and the owner would be compensated for the loss. Your job is not to guard the store's inventory with your life. The best thing to do would be to comply with the robber, as he threatened you with a weapon, and notify the authorities.

That's what you "should" have done....

BUT, I would have done exactly the same as you :D Good job. I hope you got em good.

Skimmed through, I dont believe that for shit, if some 130lb weakling was hanging on my back I would run you though a window, thats not being tough, but me analyzing what anyone would do especially after theyd held a store up with a gun. You are lying.

Edit: Not to mention let you even jump on me in the first place.

This well-known jewellery store would have insurance, and obviously they would have trained you and all other employees to cooperate in the event of a robbery, which makes your actions foolish, dangerous and futile.

a9c.png

Skimmed through, I dont believe that for shit, if some 130lb weakling was hanging on my back I would run you though a window, thats not being tough, but me analyzing what anyone would do especially after theyd held a store up with a gun. You are lying.

Edit: Not to mention let you even jump on me in the first place.

If you dont believe me i could give a ---- less you are an --- ---- for being confrintational right now. this conversation is not for you. as I have knowone to talk to about this and am in huge conflict with myself if I am right or wrong for doing what I did. I am horrified that i could have cost my co workers life with my decision. I am looking for honest help in my stait of mind right now. I thought mma experts or cops or whoever freequents these forms might have something productive to say be it critical but honest or give me stitistics about if people walk out of these kinds of things alive complying or not. im hust looking for honest feedback I am so ---- pissed that you would take this topic in this direction...you are a true scumbag man.

100% unchonchess

yea. I wouldnt let go, the two guys who helped me hold him down after he woke up were trying to get me to let go saying he was out. it took him a while to wake up..than all I could think of to do was sit full mount on his chest with my fist raised waiting for him to wake up and I kep telling him I would hit him if he tried anything more

no the girl co worker was not in on it. the lady she was helping with jewlery was. yes I think you are mostly right. the inventory wasnt so much my concern just really I guess thinking that this guy might shoot us at anypoint (they wernt wearing masks) and there was an opening were I was like here it is if you have a chance to direct this to your control you have to go now. the thing that has bothered me the most is you are so right about the other two people I wasnt aware of. They could of had guns and shot me than and there as well as the girl. especially the man who picked up the droped gun. he was talking to me when he picked it up..at this point i still thought he was a civillian. like he could have killed me right there man. looking back I am so lucky but in that moment it was like. I can restraine this guy atleast until my co worker gets out. and was pretty sure I could take him fully. its the thing with the multiple people which really freaks me out thinking what I did was awful
Was the girl you "saved" in on it? If not, then you didn't save her. You put her in danger.

It was extremely dangerous to engange in a grappling match with one robber, for several reasons. You discovered that there were two other people in on it, who you were not initially aware of and they could attack you as you were preoccupied with restraining the first assailant, you do not have substantial grappling experience and could come out on the losing end, and you escalated the situation. The goods in your store are insured and the owner would be compensated for the loss. Your job is not to guard the store's inventory with your life. The best thing to do would be to comply with the robber, as he threatened you with a weapon, and notify the authorities.

That's what you "should" have done....

BUT, I would have done exactly the same as you :D Good job. I hope you got em good.

If the guy isn't shoving the gun in your face, just comply because he doesn't have intentions of using the weapon, it is just for show and may not even be loaded. If you comply, and he goes for the weapon at that point, you still have a second to react.

Most people aren't looking to become murderers, especially in a crowded area where there are lots of potential witnesses. If the person truly looks like they plan to use their weapon, I can see fighting back, but since this guy didn't seem to be I think it was a dumb move.

Jewelry stores are almost always multi person jobs with at least a look out/getaway driver. Just comply if it ever happens again. You are too small and physically weak. An aggressive person would have destroyed you, and because you put them in a bad spot, they might have felt it necessary to use their weapon.

Bottom line: Only fight back if you truly feel you are going to have your life in danger. Don't ask people to show you there weapon. Just do what people ask and hurry them out your store as fast as possible.

I feel conflicted if this was the right decision becouse it could have cost the girl her life as well as mine. Thank you

Pretty much this. Dumb move, and you're very lucky that it worked out for you. I'm guessing that you don't own the store, and even if you did - that's what insurance is for. A few shiny things are not worth risking your life over, or the life of your coworker (not to mention the other customer...)

If it ever happens again, just fill the bag and let the guy go.

This well-known jewellery store would have insurance, and obviously they would have trained you and all other employees to cooperate in the event of a robbery, which makes your actions foolish, dangerous and futile.

This.

Super dumb move for sure. Work on your Batman complex and learn how to use paragraphs.

You never, ever know how you are going to react in these types of situations. Some guys say, I would never do this or I would definitely do this. They can't really say that until they are confronted with a situation like this. You were right. Instinct took over and you reacted the way your body wanted to. You had two choices fight or flight and your body decided to fight. You felt like your life was threatened and everything went your way. The problem with reacting this way is if that guys partners were sociopathic in anyway they could have just blasted you there.

Your turnout was successful and hopefully you can get at least a little something extra from your coworker for "saving her life."

Also, dude you really need to work on your grammar. Use sentences and paragraphs. If you are posting here, use spaces between each paragraph. Get a spell check for your browser so you can spell correctly.

If you dont believe me i could give a ---- less you are an --- ---- for being confrintational right now. this conversation is not for you. as I have knowone to talk to about this and am in huge conflict with myself if I am right or wrong for doing what I did. I am horrified that i could have cost my co workers life with my decision. I am looking for honest help in my stait of mind right now. I thought mma experts or cops or whoever freequents these forms might have something productive to say be it critical but honest or give me stitistics about if people walk out of these kinds of things alive complying or not. im hust looking for honest feedback I am so ---- pissed that you would take this topic in this direction...you are a true scumbag man.

I'd be pissed if I had resorted to making up tales of choking people out that robbed my store lol.

You really should have killed him with the choke, letting him live was dangerous as he could have pulled a knife or another gun when he regained consciousness.

The girl said that I saved her life but I think thats just what people sayin situations like this.

She wants the dick.

In the abstract, it was not the smartest move.

But you came out unscathed, one of the bad guys got caught and nobody else got hurt.

And now you have a cool story, bro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back