I still don't think rob can defeat izzy and here is why

Yeah and people are reaching far too much with the wrestling because too many fans have a recency bias

Rob isnt an elite offensive wrestler. Size was a factor in why Jan was able to take Izzy down and this fight happened at LHW, Rob is not a LHW he is smaller than Jan. Izzy has very good wrestling defense and is hard to keep down
Would like to add though that like luke thomas said, jan was doing the wreatling at the right place which is in the middle of the octagon. Izzy defence is great but its even better against the fance, if you really want to implement a wrestling game against him it needs to be far from the cage. That been said i don't think rob has enough of a wrestling game to pull this off... He was doing this to gastelum though, so if he has a chance of winning the fight in my opinion is to do this, highly unlikely he can defeat izzy on the feet alone

Rob has pretty decent wrestling. Was his main weapon prior to joining the UFC. Using that is how he can potentially beat Izzy.

It going to be like Rich Franklin vs Anderson Silva 2. Whittaker does get a takedown, but Izzy finishes him off in the standup.

For the loser, the first fight should show elements of dominance during the fight. Or something you know if they fixed that it would be a simple fix that could win the fight.

I never seen a fighter fix genetics such as striking. Or all of the sudden be a master at some new art. I seen people learn 1 or 2 moves that help but not in the sense of mastering something new.

I seen cardio get better and hands more accurate but not faster. Also, better take downs and TDD and defensive skills. So I seen improvements in what they already had but just made it sharper.

I just think you are seeing the best each fighter can be for the most part when they step inside the UFC. They can only make it sharper at this level. Each just has different skill sets and abilities. Some seem to work more often than other.

Khalil Roundtree all of a sudden became a Muay Thai expert for one like fight and then abandoned it the next. It’s like he drank a magic potion that was only good for one fight.

I provided evidence that Bobby is a rassler and you ignored it. Post #10.
Oh i wasn't appearing to me. Well i meant mma wrestling which primarely he isn't ( although he did a wrestling gameplan against gastelum) anyway izzy is hard to takedown and i don't know if whittaker has the tools to do this, but if he does than its a lot closes match i may even favor him in that case

His style just doesn't match up good against izzy, he's probably the second best if not the best fighter at mw, but styles make fights and outside of paulo costa, who was easy pray for izzy considering his lack of movement or defence. Rob is always gonna be at a disadvantage if he fights like this.

His hands low, karate/boxe style its the easiest to counter if you're izzy, its a style that makes you overextend a lot but gives you mobility, most fighters are not counter punchers so thats usually not a problem but against izzy its deadly.

I know it will sound like im saying this only cause he won, but the only way to really beat izzy in a striking match is to fight like jan. High guard, never extend fully your punches, defend against leg kick and don't be over Agressive, Unfortunately thats the opposite of rob style.

I really like rob and want him to be champion, but unless he completely changes his style and aproach for this fight i can't see going his way. I hope im wrong though.
I fully agree here. I like Rob and hoped so hard that he would have beat izzy the first fight. But Rob is best at range, and when he's controlling range as someone else said BUT he looks bad when he doesn't have the reach advantage. Cannonier has power but is a shit striker despite his reach advantage so it was really an issue. But Till gave him a hard fight while matching robs reach. I don't think Rob ever beats izzy. Ppl talk about his incredible wrestling but let's be honest. He caught Gastelum off guard with a basic double and just laid in hald guard. He's never shown much wrestling prowess other than TDD and even then not many guys have even shot for TDs against him so even that is exaggerated

Oh i wasn't appearing to me. Well i meant mma wrestling which primarely he isn't ( although he did a wrestling gameplan against gastelum) anyway izzy is hard to takedown and i don't know if whittaker has the tools to do this, but if he does than its a lot closes match i may even favor him in that case

Yeah, he doesn't use it that much in MMA, but he definitely has the skills in his back pocket. I agree Izzy isn't easy to take down, but like I said in my first post ITT and I also said when they had fought the first time, he should adopt a more GSP-like style in the rematch with Izzy, Dude has everything needed for that, IMO. He even has a karate-based style like GSP. He just needs to keep mixing it up. Not only once every round. I think that has a pretty good chance against Izzy.

\Izzy got taken down by Jan when he was leaning back with his upperbody to evade punches, which completely leaves him open to the take down. I think Bobby can create those situations too with his striking.

Yeah, he doesn't use it that much in MMA, but he definitely has the skills in his back pocket. I agree Izzy isn't easy to take down, but like I said in my first post ITT and I also said when they had fought the first time, he should adopt a more GSP-like style in the rematch with Izzy, Dude has everything needed for that, IMO. He even has a karate-based style like GSP. He just needs to keep mixing it up. Not only once every round. I think that has a pretty good chance against Izzy.

\Izzy got taken down by Jan when he was leaning back with his upperbody to evade punches, which completely leaves him open to the take down. I think Bobby can create those situations too with his striking.
If he does he needs to do at the middle of the octagon, i agree with you izzy does leaves himself open for takedows when countering, the thing rob wouod need to do differently though is trying to keep the fight at a boxing range for those takedowns to work. The karate base is great for the timing but i think he should follow more of a boxing stance aproach for the takedows, a jab followed by a overhand should be a good setup ( same thing jan did)

Would like to add though that like luke thomas said, jan was doing the wreatling at the right place which is in the middle of the octagon. Izzy defence is great but its even better against the fance, if you really want to implement a wrestling game against him it needs to be far from the cage. That been said i don't think rob has enough of a wrestling game to pull this off... He was doing this to gastelum though, so if he has a chance of winning the fight in my opinion is to do this, highly unlikely he can defeat izzy on the feet alone
people are reaching with Rob's offensive wrestline because too many fans have recency bias where they base a fighter of how good his last fight is

Rob is not an elite offensive wrestler, this is MMA wrestling, it took a LHW champ to take Izzy down. Rob isnt going to be the guy to take Izzy down he isnt a grappler he is a striker thats why in all his fights the majority is him striking

Cause he's not a wrestler

Actually he has really great TDD and even his offensive wrestling is pretty underrated. We just saw him taking down Gastelum (a wrestler) multiple times on saturday. Whether he can take Izzy down is a completely different story of course, but I think he will have to mix striking and wrestling in the rematch if he wants to have any chance of winning the rematch.

People joke a bit, but Rob really should train with GSP if possible. He has actually better tools to implement that kind gameplan as he's faster and has better striking to compliment his already good wrestling. Izzy definitely has tendencies that could be exploited even if it won't be easy to do so.

people are reaching with Rob's offensive wrestline because too many fans have recency bias where they base a fighter of how good his last fight is

Rob is not an elite offensive wrestler, this is MMA wrestling, it took a LHW champ to take Izzy down. Rob isnt going to be the guy to take Izzy down he isnt a grappler he is a striker thats why in all his fights the majority is him striking
To say with such confidence that rob won’t take Israel down is silly. Vettori did it with relative ease, same as Wilkinson (low level fighter) in his debut. Whittakers wrestling is more than competent in mma. It has literally won him rounds and fights such as Tavares, Till, Gastelum. Gastelum couldn’t do shit grappling wise to Whittaker and he would have the superior wrestling pedigree. Shit he even held Romero down, the ‘epic’ Olympic wrestler.

MMA wrestling is different man, when you got headkicks and left hooks stinging past your head it certainly creates a different dynamic.

That said I think Israel beats Whittaker again although I hope I’m wrong

Whittaker needs to just shell up like Romero and not move for the first few rounds, then implement the grappling in round 3

giphy.gif
Great fight great fighters

Back