I Still Believe in Chael Sonnen (R)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won't do either. He won't KO because he will fear a Takedown. Chael is training BJJ this time.

I would bet he will still KO him...but i don't think he will be so foolish with kicks this go around. But then again, i thought Silva would know better than to kick a wrestler anyway

He won't do either. He won't KO because he will fear a Takedown. Chael is training BJJ this time.

Source? Haven't heard that.

Last edited:

Has he mentioned this in any recent interviews? Woulda been so cool if he'd been doing this since day one.

Has he mentioned this in any recent interviews? Woulda been so cool if he'd been doing this since day one.

See I'm pretty sure I read this on the various mma sites around but now maybe I'm not sure. Honestly he did train BJJ before. When Silva locked the triangle, he did what you were supposed to do but Silva grabbed an armbar. He did not allow Silva to gain wrist control until that point.

Chael Sonnen Trains Some BJJ, No Really - MMA Video Blog: MMA Scraps

But this said it was leading up to the Anderson fight, so who knows.

Chael really only has to worry about the triangle and maybe a kimura or armbar. If he drills defending those holds, escaping them, or avoiding putting himself into those situations to begin with... the guy was 2 minutes away from winning the first time. I have no reason to believe he won't be able to defend better this time around, and I have no reason to believe Anderson is going to suddenly be able to stop Chael from doing what he did in the first fight. He's always been taken down by wrestlers.

I know some of the grappling footage of him training looked a lot like BJJ to me, and the escape he attempted to get out of Anderson's triangle was what you do (as a last resort) I think he might have worked this part of the game a bit in the past.

I'm not sure what exactly Chael has to do to get pre-fight credibility in the eyes of some people. He was supposed to get absolutely thrashed, ends up coming within seconds of winning the fight in dominating fashion and the predictions stay the exact same for the second fight. MMA fans are a case study waiting to happen.

Well said. If they completely ruled him out before 8/7/10, they were just Silva nutters. If they still think it's impossible after 8/7/10, there's something wrong with their brains.

I won't get my hopes up. His defense on the ground is embarrassing.

Not really. 4 1/2 rounds of controlling a Nogueira Black Belt is pretty good if you ask me.

I've always supported Chael and will continue to do so. I would let him in my guard any time.

Last edited:
To each his own. I still don't know how he pulls that one off. Chael has an iron jaw.

that's true, aren't his only stoppages (besides being submitted) from cuts?

I'm still awaiting the 5-6 nuthuggers who constantly argued with me for days in the first I believe in Chael Sonnen thread. I wanna throw down with em in here.

Not really. 4 1/2 rounds of controlling a Nogueira Black Belt is pretty good if you ask me.

I suppose, but he still ended up in a triangle. This is hardly news, most of his losses have come by way of submission. Its a glaring weakness that he apparently doesn't care to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back