Opinion I stand with Hong kong

He's not entirely wrong. Hongkongers sometimes have irrational dislike of Chinese from mainland. I've seen it first hand growing up in Vancouver. The Hong Kong kids do not mingle with the mainland kids here, and they have a condescending attitude towards them. They always sat in different tables in the cafeteria. Many Hongkongers consider mainlanders dirty and uncivilized, and get pissed off when I told them that they were essentially the same people. Think of how lefties San Francisco view conservatives in deep south, except even more polarized.

Every news that comes from Hong Kong you see people being interviewed who point out to the whole world that they are not China. Sweden's television interviewed Hong Kong residents about a satirical program from Sweden that joked about Chinese who behave badly when traveling to other countries as tourists. The Hong Kong team again points out that it is the Chinese who behave like indecent people.

So yes, I have come to the view that Hong Kong and China are not the same if you ask them.

Every news that comes from Hong Kong you see people being interviewed who point out to the whole world that they are not China. Sweden's television interviewed Hong Kong resident about a satirical program from Sweden that joked about Chinese who behave badly when traveling to other countries as tourists. The Hong Kong man again points out that it is the Chinese who behave like indecent people.

So yes, I have come to the view that Hong Kong and China are not the same if you ask them.
It's simple enough of an explanation if you see where the media is focusing. When you are interviewing people involved in the protest, you tend to get one side of the picture. The protesters are much more likely to have negative view of associating with China, hence their whole reason for protesting. There is a pro-China camp in Hong Kong too, but they usually don't receive the same coverage. One thing that I realized is the whole "freedom vs totalitarianism" presentation in the MSM. It's intellectually lazy, but makes for interesting stories.

True story, there was a Chinese chick that joined our class in Grade 11. For a FOB (Fresh Off the Boat), she was pretty nice. Seemed to be fairly well off and studied hard. The Hongers in the class picked on her non-stop, just downright nasty sometimes. I asked why they did it, and they said they were "putting the country bumpkin in her place". I realized Asians love to hate each other, even if they're ethnically the same people.

It's simple enough of an explanation if you see where the media is focusing. When you are interviewing people involved in the protest, you tend to get one side of the picture. The protesters are much more likely to have negative view of associating with China, hence their whole reason for protesting. There is a pro-China camp in Hong Kong too, but they usually don't receive the same coverage. One thing that I realized is the whole "freedom vs totalitarianism" presentation in the MSM. It's intellectually lazy, but makes for interesting stories.

True story, there was a Chinese chick that joined our class in Grade 11. For a FOB (Fresh Off the Boat), she was pretty nice. Seemed to be fairly well off and studied hard. The Hongers in the class picked on her non-stop, just downright nasty sometimes. I asked why they did it, and they said they were "putting the country bumpkin in her place". I realized Asians love to hate each other, even if they're ethnically the same people.

Yeah, you have a point and it doesn't make it any better that I'm not a fan of China in advance.

And the last line of yours is completely correct. I live with a partner who is a full time racist. Lol

Yeah, you have a point and it doesn't make it any better that I'm not a fan of China in advance.

And the last line of yours is completely correct. I live with a partner who is a full time racist. Lol
I am doing my master's in I-O psychology, which involves group think/dynamics, interpersonal conflict and mediation. The thing that irks me most about mainstream media is that they go for black and white choices, and they're responsible for much of the polarization of society. Unrest in Hong Kong is a perfect illustration. Supporters of the protests are convinced they're the good guys for rising up against a perceived evil and oppressive regime in the form of Communist China. For the pro-China camp, they see the protest as violent rioters spreading destruction and chaos to undermine the government, with the eventual goal of separatism and regime change. They each have existing narratives about the other side in their head, and they interpret the facts according to that narrative. That kind of polarization drives conflicts, as it doesn't allow for common ground to be generated. Once you see the other side as evil, it's a fight to the end.

China like russia is very evil and has to go

Hope honk gong gets its independence

The NBA has always supported people's right to speak their minds.

SE675SKZUBCXJOKHOMLMDPUCZM.jpg

I am doing my master's in I-O psychology, which involves group think/dynamics, interpersonal conflict and mediation. The thing that irks me most about mainstream media is that they go for black and white choices, and they're responsible for much of the polarization of society. Unrest in Hong Kong is a perfect illustration. Supporters of the protests are convinced they're the good guys for rising up against a perceived evil and oppressive regime in the form of Communist China. For the pro-China camp, they see the protest as violent rioters spreading destruction and chaos to undermine the government, with the eventual goal of separatism and regime change. They each have existing narratives about the other side in their head, and they interpret the facts according to that narrative. That kind of polarization drives conflicts, as it doesn't allow for common ground to be generated. Once you see the other side as evil, it's a fight to the end.

Wow. Compliments to your education!

Then this with msm. I believe in common sense and to seek places that are not considered extreme. The sad thing is that in today's society, everything can be criticized and thus forged status. With this trend, one can soon not trust anything that is published.

I mentioned in my first post about netizens and I want to use that the next time I refer to Hong Kong residents that oppose communist China.

Cheers my friend.

Hong Kong riots are despicable, just like the London ones several years back. Trashing your own city and attacking people because they are speaking mandarin (the official language of China) is just one of the examples how stupid these “protesters” are.

Cantonese is dominant in HK. A Mandarin speaker may be perceived (rightly or wrongly) as being a pro China infiltrator. Considering CCP's thugish tactics and attempts to put down any resistance to its fascism, some Hong Kongers get paranoid.

Last edited:
Interesting to see it from a brainwashed Communist point of view.
Leaving aside that pro CCP poster's intentions, the urge to defend the CCP against HK anti CCP protesters can be the view of a Han nationalist, and not necessarily a communist. China isn't communist , except in name, it is a Han supremacist and expansionist run country. Now this does not mean the anti CCP HKers are opposed to Han supremacy, just that they have their own pet peeves against the CCP.

Chinese/Han nationalists are being rather brash and exertive as of late, really pushing the pro CCP agenda everywhere, from propaganda on Facebook and Twitter to internet forums to agitating on behalf of the CCP in Western college campuses.

He's not entirely wrong. Hongkongers sometimes have irrational dislike of Chinese from mainland. I've seen it first hand growing up in Vancouver. The Hong Kong kids do not mingle with the mainland kids here, and they loathed them without reason. They always sat in different tables in the cafeteria. Many Hongkongers consider mainlanders dirty and uncivilized, and get pissed off when I told them that they were essentially the same people. Think of how lefties San Francisco view conservatives in deep south, except even more polarized.

That may be part of the reason , but another reason could be linguistic since HKers speak Cantonese while mainlanders, unless from Guangzhou and other Cantonese speaking areas, speak Mandarin. San Fran lefties speak the same language as Southern conservatives. Language is a huge fault-line everywhere in the world.

They are ethnically the same people, though there are definitely political and cultural differences. Hong Kong is not China, but it is part of China. The British handed it back to China after 1997 after colonizing it for 155 years. The city itself cannot survive without China, literally. It gets its water, food and electricity from mainland. Most of the large companies in Hong Kong depend on business with China, due to advantages of its geographical proximity and relatively autonomous legal/political system.

There is a good portion that does. The younger generations that grew up without memories of the British rule have a romanticized view of that past. Hong Kong lost its competitive edge as China opened up. The decline of the city's status, coupled with lack of social mobility (wealth gap, underemployment), high housing prices and perceived erosion of its autonomy set the place on fire. The government itself is pretty inept. It cannot balance the aspirations of Beijing, the city's wealthy tycoons and the working class.

The Brits did their loyalists dirty by refusing to offer residency at the time of handover.
High housing prices is a huge deal, a problem in large part stemming from the fact the HK government (now the PRC) owns all the land and leases it . But rich Mainland money coming in and raising rents and home prices also breeds resentment, just as Canadians in places like Vancouver resent the high cost of rent and real estate in large part due to mainland Chinese parking their cash there.

Leaving aside that pro CCP poster's intentions, the urge to defend the CCP against HK anti CCP protesters can be the view of a Han nationalist, and not necessarily a communist. China isn't communist , except in name, it is a Han supremacist and expansionist run country. Now this does not mean the anti CCP HKers are opposed to Han supremacy, just that they have their own pet peeves against the CCP.

Chinese/Han nationalists are being rather brash and exertive as of late, really pushing the pro CCP agenda everywhere, from propaganda on Facebook and Twitter to internet forums to agitating on behalf of the CCP in Western college campuses.
I think you generalized my post far too much. I did not defend the CCP (nor do I support it) and I merely criticized the rioters attacks on innocent civilians.

Language is a big cultural barrier, but it’s a pathetic reason to attack someone.

Mainlanders hatred of “HK separatists” is fueled by strong nationalism in the mainland. Nationalist propaganda is well rooted in society and regardless of what you are talking about, they always find a way to call someone non-patriotic if they show any disdain towards the motherland.

HK was part of China before the UK colonized it, so it makes sense to consider it part of China. But the generation living in HK today are most definitely more British than Chinese when it comes to behavior and ettiquette, however they still retain a lot of Chinese social customs.

So funny seeing these businessmen bending over and taking it in the ass from China.

He's not entirely wrong. Hongkongers sometimes have irrational dislike of Chinese from mainland. I've seen it first hand growing up in Vancouver. The Hong Kong kids do not mingle with the mainland kids here, and they loathed them without reason. They always sat in different tables in the cafeteria. Many Hongkongers consider mainlanders dirty and uncivilized, and get pissed off when I told them that they were essentially the same people. Think of how lefties San Francisco view conservatives in deep south, except even more polarized.
My British Chinese friends back in England also do not like to associate themselves with the mainland. However they will call themselves ethnically Chinese , not Hong Kongese.

Interesting to see Chinese fans claiming what is happening in Hong Kong is the same with 9/11. Lots of "I support 911" posted by Chinese Twitter users.

The reality is that China is where the money is for the next hundred years until their economy collapse from demographic issue. Until then, if you wanna make lots of money, you better bend over.

I think you generalized my post far too much. I did not defend the CCP (nor do I support it) and I merely criticized the rioters attacks on innocent civilians.

Language is a big cultural barrier, but it’s a pathetic reason to attack someone.

Mainlanders hatred of “HK separatists” is fueled by strong nationalism in the mainland. Nationalist propaganda is well rooted in society and regardless of what you are talking about, they always find a way to call someone non-patriotic if they show any disdain towards the motherland.

HK was part of China before the UK colonized it, so it makes sense to consider it part of China. But the generation living in HK today are most definitely more British than Chinese when it comes to behavior and ettiquette, however they still retain a lot of Chinese social customs.
You are generalizing the protesters by the actions of a few. That's like claiming all those protesting the WTO meeting that happened in Seattle in 1999 were violent. Or that all leftist protests are riots.

Last edited:
Interesting to see Chinese fans claiming what is happening in Hong Kong is the same with 9/11. Lots of "I support 911" posted by Chinese Twitter users.

The reality is that China is where the money is for the next hundred years until their economy collapse from demographic issue. Until then, if you wanna make lots of money, you better bend over.
Twitter is blocked in mainland China, so all those pro CCP twitter users must be government run propaganda farms and nationalist individuals that circumvent the block.

A month or so ago the Chinese government was bitching about Facebook and Twitter banning thousands of Chinese government linked accounts for spreading disinformation. Completely oblivious to their hypocrisy.

China cries foul over Facebook, Twitter block of fake accounts
BEIJING (Reuters) - China said on Tuesday it had a right to put out its own views after Twitter and Facebook said they had dismantled a state-backed social media campaign originating in mainland China that sought to undermine protests in Hong Kong.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-twitter-block-of-fake-accounts-idUSKCN1VA0RQ

Twitter is blocked in mainland China, so all those pro CCP twitter users must be government run propaganda farms and nationalist individuals that circumvent the block.

A month or so ago the Chinese government was bitching about Facebook and Twitter banning thousands of Chinese government linked accounts for spreading disinformation. Completely oblivious to their hypocrisy.

China cries foul over Facebook, Twitter block of fake accounts
BEIJING (Reuters) - China said on Tuesday it had a right to put out its own views after Twitter and Facebook said they had dismantled a state-backed social media campaign originating in mainland China that sought to undermine protests in Hong Kong.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-twitter-block-of-fake-accounts-idUSKCN1VA0RQ
Cantonese is dominant in HK. A Mandarin speaker may be perceived (rightly or wrongly) as being a pro China infiltrator. Considering CCP's thugish tactics and attempts to put down any resistance to its fascism, some Hong Kongers get paranoid.

That may be part of the reason , but another reason could be linguistic since HKers speak Cantonese while mainlanders, unless from Guangzhou and other Cantonese speaking areas, speak Mandarin. San Fran lefties speak the same language as Southern conservatives. Language is a huge fault-line everywhere in the world.

High housing prices is a huge deal, a problem in large part stemming from the fact the HK government (now the PRC) owns all the land and leases it . But rich Mainland money coming in and raising rents and home prices also breeds resentment, just as Canadians in places like Vancouver resent the high cost of rent and real estate in large part due to mainland Chinese parking their cash there.

And then I learned something new.

Back