I Squatted 5 Times A Week For 10 Weeks, here are my results: (long read).

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
Saturday December 29th, my 10 week program came to an end. It was a fun and fascinating experience. I will go in detail on what I exactly did, for what reason, my difficulties and results. You can scroll down, the TLDR version will be at the bottom:

*I need to say that I don't have any pictures or videos to prove my claims. I did not document this, so you just need to believe me guys. One love

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
My fitness journey started 7 years ago when I was 17 years old. 6ft1 tall, I weighted 148lbs the first time I stepped on the scale in the YMCA locker room.
Youtube fitness content creators like Elliott Hulse, Omar Isuf and many more had an impact on me.
Weightlifting became a passion, an identity, something I did every day of the week.
I lifted weights from September 2011 - October 2013. Bulking from 148lbs to 208.5lbs and making a lot of gains in the process. I recall struggling benching 65lbs, in two years I was repping 185lbs for 5 reps, squatting 275lbs and deadlifting 365lbs.
In October 2013, wanting to accomplish a dream I always had, I decided to start training Muay Thai full time. The transition from powerlifting to Muay Thai is a whole other discussion and I can say it's not easy. After 14 months of training I dropped from 208.5 to 167bs, I was fight ready.
From November 2014 - September 2017, I competed several times, at 155lbs, in Muay Thai, Boxing and Kickboxing. My training consisted of running, hitting the pads, clinching and hitting the bag. I did a little bit of kettle bell work and shoulder rehab post workout. I rarely if ever lifted weights.
I managed the gym I trained at, so it gave me the opportunity to workout twice a day.
This was basically my life for 4 years.
Injuries sealed the deal for me. The training was very intense and it started not being fun anymore. Preparing for a fight was very stressful for me and It wasn't something I saw myself doing in the long run.
What of officially ended it was a collarbone fracture that required surgery.
They had to drill a metal plate in my shoulder and it took me about 4 months before my shoulder felt back to normal. I travelled around the world and started a new career.
All of that added up, I was physically inactive for 1 year.
I went from competing at 155lbs to walking at 196lbs.
I became fat and even started smoking cigarettes.
I remember looking at myself in the mirror one morning and being shocked by how fast I lost shape.
1 year prior I was competing in semi-pro Muay Thai, now I'm a skinny-fat, 6ft2, 196lbs cigarette smoker.
It was time I went back to the gym and weightlifting was calling me.
September 10th 2018, I couldn't do 1 pull-up and had trouble doing 12 push-ups (It's a shitty feeling).
Squatted 135lbs for 5x5 on my first leg workout and was sore for 3 days.
This is a long read, I'm sorry but bare with me.
Being a competitive person, in September, I challenged my friend to a squat challenge.
I claimed that at the end of 2018, I would squat more than him, plain and simple.
We agreed to a 5 rep max PR showdown, on December 29th 2018.
He was squatting 245lbs for 6 reps at the time, I was squatting 135lbs for 5 reps.
Being a prideful person, I had to at least try my best to win the challenge.
I researched dozens of different squat based programs, but the one that peaked my curiosity was the Bulgarian Training method. Something about squatting every day felt risky and challenging.
So I started reading the pros and cons of that training method (found way more cons than pros).
I then built my own personalized "squat every day" program which was heavily inspired by the Bulgarian method but very different in many ways.

My program started Monday October 15th 2018:

Monday: Legs
.Low-Bar Squat (5x5)
.Conventional Deadlift (8x3)
.Bulgarian Split-Squat (10x3)
.Leg Press (10x3)

Tuesday: Push
.Front Squat (8x2)
.Bench Press (5x5)
.Overhead Press (5x5)
.Incline Dumbbell Press (10x3)
.Pec-Deck (12x3)
.Lateral Raises (12x3)

Wednesday: Pull
.Low-Bar Pause Squat (3x3, 3 sec pause)
.Chin-Ups (5x5)
.Bent-Over-Row (5x5)
.Lateral Pull-Down (10x3)
.Single-Hand Dumbbell Row (10x3)
.Reverse Dumbbell Flies (12x3)

Thursday: Legs
.High-Bar Squat (8x2)
.Leg Press (10x3)

Friday: Push
.Low-Bar Box Squat (2x3)
.Bench Press (10x3)
.Overhead Press (10x3)
.Incline Dumbbell Press (8x3)
.Pec-Deck (12x3)
.Lateral Raises (12x3)

Saturday: Pull
(no fucking squats)
.Chin-Ups (5x5)
.Bent-Over-Row (8x3)
.Lateral Pull-Down (8x3)
.Single-Hand Dumbbell Row (8x3)
.Barbell Curls (10x3)

I did this for 10 weeks... I only missed two days.

A couple things I should explain very fast:

1) I did not go very heavy on every work out/week. I knew my chances of getting injured were high, so I made sure I wasn't adding weight to fast.
2) Every workout was preceded with about 30 minutes of dynamic stretching.
3) Week 4 & 8 were deload weeks. I reduced the weights considerably to avoid frying my CNS.

A couple difficulties I encountered:

1) Pacing myself. I was getting stronger very fast and it was difficult to not add that extra 10lbs you think you can squat.
2) Ripping 3 pants because my ass just blew up.
3) Lifting too heavy on week 9, which resulted in me feeling weaker on week 10.

Results:

I added 130lbs to my squat, going from 155lbs to 285lbs for 5 reps, in 10 weeks.
I went from 196lbs to 207.5lbs in bodyweight, while increasing my number of chin-ups.
I was and still am shocked at the speed at which I gained my strength back.
Adding up my years of Muay Thai and inactivity, I hadn't lifted heavy weights in 5 years.
In just 10 weeks, I was already squatting more than I used too.
I won the challenge, squatting only 5lbs more than my friend.

FYI: I also stopped smoking cigarettes the day I started this program. I still don't smoke to this day.

This was a unique experience, I know it sounds cliche but when you put your mind to something, it's hard not to be successful. I went from fit to unfit to fit again, this year was a difficult one for me and I'm proud I ended it with a crazy challenge like this one. One love Sherbros, stay strong, believe in yourself and keep on keeping on.

TLDR:

In 10 weeks, I added 130lbs to my squat, going from 155lbs to 285lbs for 5 reps.

Nice one
Been waiting to see how you were going with this
I was listening to a Flair doco the other day and it reminded me of your squatting, he was asked how on earth he kept going in the ring night after night for a good hr every night, never gassed out and that his legs always kept going.
His answer was squats
500 free squats everyday

I don't squat enough and being someone that only weighs 81kg I think I too might add a lot more squatting into my routine
Just got to be careful of the old lower back

Ps. I do like the idea you had rest days
You need to rest to grow

Nice one
Been waiting to see how you were going with this
I was listening to a Flair doco the other day and it reminded me of your squatting, he was asked how on earth he kept going in the ring night after night for a good hr every night, never gassed out and that his legs always kept going.
His answer was squats
500 free squats everyday

I don't squat enough and being someone that only weighs 81kg I think I too might add a lot more squatting into my routine
Just got to be careful of the old lower back

Ps. I do like the idea you had rest days
You need to rest to grow
Rest was very important and a must. I had planned to squat 6 days a week, but I scratched that plan after the first week. Having a different variety of squats was also important. I wasn't squatting in the same stance or with the same tempo every day, it constantly changed.

Frequency is king for squatting and probably some noob gains in there too

So as a previously trained athlete who took a year off you then quit smoking and started training again and added 13lbs a week to your squat 5rm resulting in a 10lbs lifetime best after 10 weeks?

Good on you but the result isn't remarkable imo.

So as a previously trained athlete who took a year off you then quit smoking and started training again and added 13lbs a week to your squat 5rm resulting in a 10lbs lifetime best after 10 weeks?

Good on you but the result isn't remarkable imo.
It’s a mix of my athletic background, noob gains and frequency that made me achieve this weight in a small amount of time.
I’m curious to know why you don’t think it’s remarkable?

It’s a mix of my athletic background, noob gains and frequency that made me achieve this weight in a small amount of time.
I’m curious to know why you don’t think it’s remarkable?
Because you didn't really make any gains, you just took 10 weeks to get back to (pretty much) where you were previously.

Now that you are fit, put another 130lbs on your squat in the next 10 weeks will be remarkable.

Because you didn't really make any gains, you just took 10 weeks to get back to (pretty much) where you were previously.

Now that you are fit, put another 130lbs on your squat in the next 10 weeks will be remarkable.
Understood, but I hadn’t lifted weights in 5 years, 135lbs felt heavy when i started again. I’m pretty happy with the results. Thanks for the input

Saturday December 29th, my 10 week program came to an end. It was a fun and fascinating experience. I will go in detail on what I exactly did, for what reason, my difficulties and results. You can scroll down, the TLDR version will be at the bottom:

*I need to say that I don't have any pictures or videos to prove my claims. I did not document this, so you just need to believe me guys. One love

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
My fitness journey started 7 years ago when I was 17 years old. 6ft1 tall, I weighted 148lbs the first time I stepped on the scale in the YMCA locker room.
Youtube fitness content creators like Elliott Hulse, Omar Isuf and many more had an impact on me.
Weightlifting became a passion, an identity, something I did every day of the week.
I lifted weights from September 2011 - October 2013. Bulking from 148lbs to 208.5lbs and making a lot of gains in the process. I recall struggling benching 65lbs, in two years I was repping 185lbs for 5 reps, squatting 275lbs and deadlifting 365lbs.
In October 2013, wanting to accomplish a dream I always had, I decided to start training Muay Thai full time. The transition from powerlifting to Muay Thai is a whole other discussion and I can say it's not easy. After 14 months of training I dropped from 208.5 to 167bs, I was fight ready.
From November 2014 - September 2017, I competed several times, at 155lbs, in Muay Thai, Boxing and Kickboxing. My training consisted of running, hitting the pads, clinching and hitting the bag. I did a little bit of kettle bell work and shoulder rehab post workout. I rarely if ever lifted weights.
I managed the gym I trained at, so it gave me the opportunity to workout twice a day.
This was basically my life for 4 years.
Injuries sealed the deal for me. The training was very intense and it started not being fun anymore. Preparing for a fight was very stressful for me and It wasn't something I saw myself doing in the long run.
What of officially ended it was a collarbone fracture that required surgery.
They had to drill a metal plate in my shoulder and it took me about 4 months before my shoulder felt back to normal. I travelled around the world and started a new career.
All of that added up, I was physically inactive for 1 year.
I went from competing at 155lbs to walking at 196lbs.
I became fat and even started smoking cigarettes.
I remember looking at myself in the mirror one morning and being shocked by how fast I lost shape.
1 year prior I was competing in semi-pro Muay Thai, now I'm a skinny-fat, 6ft2, 196lbs cigarette smoker.
It was time I went back to the gym and weightlifting was calling me.
September 10th 2018, I couldn't do 1 pull-up and had trouble doing 12 push-ups (It's a shitty feeling).
Squatted 135lbs for 5x5 on my first leg workout and was sore for 3 days.
This is a long read, I'm sorry but bare with me.
Being a competitive person, in September, I challenged my friend to a squat challenge.
I claimed that at the end of 2018, I would squat more than him, plain and simple.
We agreed to a 5 rep max PR showdown, on December 29th 2018.
He was squatting 245lbs for 6 reps at the time, I was squatting 135lbs for 5 reps.
Being a prideful person, I had to at least try my best to win the challenge.
I researched dozens of different squat based programs, but the one that peaked my curiosity was the Bulgarian Training method. Something about squatting every day felt risky and challenging.
So I started reading the pros and cons of that training method (found way more cons than pros).
I then built my own personalized "squat every day" program which was heavily inspired by the Bulgarian method but very different in many ways.

My program started Monday October 15th 2018:

Monday: Legs
.Low-Bar Squat (5x5)
.Leg Press (10x3)

Tuesday: Push
.Front Squat (8x2)
.Bench Press (5x5)
.Overhead Press (5x5)
.Incline Dumbbell Press (10x3)
.Pec-Deck (12x3)
.Lateral Raises (12x3)

Wednesday: Pull
.Low-Bar Pause Squat (3x3, 3 sec pause)
.Chin-Ups (5x5)
.Bent-Over-Row (5x5)
.Lateral Pull-Down (10x3)
.Single-Hand Dumbbell Row (10x3)

Thursday: Legs
.High-Bar Squat (8x2)
.Leg Press (10x3)

Friday: Push
.Low-Bar Box Squat (2x3)
.Bench Press (10x3)
.Overhead Press (10x3)
.Incline Dumbbell Press (8x3)
.Pec-Deck (12x3)
.Lateral Raises (12x3)

Saturday: Pull
(no fucking squats)
.Chin-Ups (5x5)
.Bent-Over-Row (8x3)
.Lateral Pull-Down (8x3)
.Single-Hand Dumbbell Row (8x3)
.Barbell Curls (10x3)

I did this for 10 weeks... I only missed two days.

A couple things I should explain very fast:

1) I did not go very heavy on every work out/week. I knew my chances of getting injured were high, so I made sure I wasn't adding weight to fast.
2) Every workout was preceded with about 30 minutes of dynamic stretching.
3) Week 4 & 8 were deload weeks. I reduced the weights considerably to avoid frying my CNS.

A couple difficulties I encountered:

1) Pacing myself. I was getting stronger very fast and it was difficult to not add that extra 10lbs you think you can squat.
2) Ripping 3 pants because my ass just blew up.
3) Lifting too heavy on week 9, which resulted in me feeling weaker on week 10.

Results:

I added 130lbs to my squat, going from 155lbs to 285lbs for 5 reps, in 10 weeks.
I went from 196lbs to 207.5lbs in bodyweight, while increasing my number of chin-ups.
I was and still am shocked at the speed at which I gained my strength back.
Adding up my years of Muay Thai and inactivity, I hadn't lifted heavy weights in 5 years.
In just 10 weeks, I was already squatting more than I used too.
I won the challenge, squatting only 5lbs more than my friend.

FYI: I also stopped smoking cigarettes the day I started this program. I still don't smoke to this day.

This was a unique experience, I know it sounds cliche but when you put your mind to something, it's hard not to be successful. I went from fit to unfit to fit again, this year was a difficult one for me and I'm proud I ended it with a crazy challenge like this one. One love Sherbros, stay strong, believe in yourself and keep on keeping on.

TLDR:

In 10 weeks, I added 130lbs to my squat, going from 155lbs to 285lbs for 5 reps.

Great work. I also tore a few pairs of underwear and pants when I did my daily heavy squat program. My legs and ass Became thick as hell haha. What’s the next goal for you in the gym?

I made some gains really quickly on squats with 3 days per week. Not sure on the exact numbers, but I think it was mid range 300's to mid range 400s in a few months. I think a lot of it is mental honestly.

Great work. I also tore a few pairs of underwear and pants when I did my daily heavy squat program. My legs and ass Became thick as hell haha. What’s the next goal for you in the gym?
I think a 1000 total is the next goal broski. Happy new year man!

What was your diet like?

Gotta eat big to lift big... right guys?

I wasn't taking any supplements.

Thumbs up for that. Sometimes I don't feel like working out, and in that case some type of booster would probably help. But I don't like supplements... I'd rather stop training for a few days, a week or even a month in order to regain energy and hunger, and then restart.

I bet the DOMS were a son of a bitch at first.

Thumbs up for that. Sometimes I don't feel like working out, and in that case some type of booster would probably help. But I don't like supplements... I'd rather stop training for a few days, a week or even a month in order to regain energy and hunger, and then restart.
I have nothing against multivitamins and/or a good post workout protein shake but it's an investment and for the moment I'm not willing to spend that money. When you don't feel like working out, just reduce the weight and volume. It's normal to feel tired and weak on some days, we can't be at our best every time. I reduce the weight to the point were it feels extremely light and I just get my reps in. One love

I bet the DOMS were a son of a bitch at first.
It was terrible the first squat workout after 5 years. I was sore for 3 days. But my body got used to the daily grind very fast.
I think it's due to the fact that I used to train twice a day very intensely, so my body was capable of recovering much faster than someone with no athletic background.

Supps are ok imo
But some people go overboard

I take some non whey protein powder once a day
Some bcaa once a day
Plus a proviotic once a day

The non whey protein is because I don't get the time to get as much protein in me as easily as I'd like
Bcaa for after lifting/exercise
Proviotic daily for general health

I might also drop some creo into the whey and bcaa if I remember

Understood, but I hadn’t lifted weights in 5 years, 135lbs felt heavy when i started again. I’m pretty happy with the results. Thanks for the input
I’ve got what you’re looking for

Here’s a participation medal

Back