I Saw A White Flash

bjj wrestler

White Belt
Reaction score
While mma sparring with my partner and taking him down about 8-10 times, he was finally rly ready for it and kneed me in the temple causing me to have a white flash. The flash felt like 2 or 3 secs but in reality it was a second or less because I saw the flash in the middle of my double leg and has soon as he hit the mat with me in side control the flash disappeared. I was fine after it disappeared until about 30mins later I was sparring kickboxing with a bigger opponent and caught a flush backfist right to the temple and again saw a flash but then came to as soon as I hit the ground. I didnt feel rocked when I hit the ground, just embarrassed. Anyway my question is is a white flash common, or was I close to getting knocked out. Also, when I ate the knee to the head, I shot to the correct side so it was only his lead leg that kneed me, but nontheless I saw a white flash. Does that mean I am easy to knock out?

Could have been a flash knockout.

as long as you are not having any headaches, dizzyness, vertigo or reoccuring effects like that you should be fine.

IMHO, you should probably stop training and let a doctor check you out. It sounds like you may have suffered a concussion, aka MTBI or Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. The symptoms you've described are classic of a brain interruption and the second incident so soon after the first could have been a residual occurance or even a second occurance. It sounds as though, you may have even temporarily had a loss of consciousness, if you went to the ground after the backfist.

Blurred vision, seeing double, flashes of bright light, and even light sensitivity afterwards are all symptoms. If you keep training and get knocked out, you realize those tend to be cummlative and tend to get worse the more you get them.

The good news is in all probabilty, the doctor will only prescribe rest, if you do have a concussion, and he will be able to see if there is anything more serious going on. You can roll the dice, keep training, and take your chances, the chances being a more serious debilitating injury, that may put an early end to your hobby or career, or you can play it on the safe side, and have it checked out. That choice is ultimately up to you, so choose wisely.

:icon_chee

IMHO, you should probably stop training and let a doctor check you out. It sounds like you may have suffered a concussion, aka MTBI or Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. The symptoms you've described are classic of a brain interruption and the second incident so soon after the first could have been a residual occurance or even a second occurance. It sounds as though, you may have even temporarily had a loss of consciousness, if you went to the ground after the backfist.

Blurred vision, seeing double, flashes of bright light, and even light sensitivity afterwards are all symptoms. If you keep training and get knocked out, you realize those tend to be cummlative and tend to get worse the more you get them.

The good news is in all probabilty, the doctor will only prescribe rest, if you do have a concussion, and he will be able to see if there is anything more serious going on. You can roll the dice, keep training, and take your chances, the chances being a more serious debilitating injury, that may put an early end to your hobby or career, or you can play it on the safe side, and have it checked out. That choice is ultimately up to you, so choose wisely.

This. Even if you were knocked out for a split second you should see a doctor. We had a guy who was knocked out during a rugby match, he continued to play and colapsed 20 min later, he was declared brain dead at the hospital.

Why the hell would your partner knee you in the head while sparring? Might be me, but that just doesn't sound right being allowed to do that while sparring. In a fight its obviously different.

You just got rocked. Tell your parnet not to knee you in the head in sparring next time.

You just got rocked. Tell your parnet not to knee you in the head in sparring next time.

lmao agree completely.

Hardest shot i've ever been hit with made me see the "white flash" but I didn't go down, just immediately clinched up to recover. Got hit with an overhand right, crazy part was it wasn't on the chin or the temple, was on the fucking FOREHEAD and it still made my eyes see white, that's how hard it was.

Why the hell would your partner knee you in the head while sparring? Might be me, but that just doesn't sound right being allowed to do that while sparring. In a fight its obviously different.

Why is getting kneed any different than getting punched?

It's called control and if you are confident in your partner you can spar using head kicks, knees to the head, elbows and kicks to the head of a downed opponent.

This happened to my once... I jumped guard sloppily and hit the back of my head hard when we hit the mat... didn't think it was that serious, but i guess I could be wrong....

Why is getting kneed any different than getting punched?

It's called control and if you are confident in your partner you can spar using head kicks, knees to the head, elbows and kicks to the head of a downed opponent.

I strongly disagree, unless you are wearing elbow padding/knee badding.

I see a white flash everytime I get hit, but I think it's just because I close my eyes when I get hit because I've taken some horrendous beatings and I've never even been rocked

lmao agree completely.

Hardest shot i've ever been hit with made me see the "white flash" but I didn't go down, just immediately clinched up to recover. Got hit with an overhand right, crazy part was it wasn't on the chin or the temple, was on the fucking FOREHEAD and it still made my eyes see white, that's how hard it was.

Almost the same; overhand right to the jaw. White Flash and for a a second or two I did'nt know where the fuck I was.

For the rest of the class, the lights in the room seemed really bright. I had a headache for the next 24 hours, but no lasting injuries.

As my trainer used to say "Did you see God? Was he black or white?"
Most people see black or white when knocked out. You definately got rocked MMA and probablly should have slowed down for the day but kept going and got knocked again it is what it is.....

IF you remember the full events, as in everything that happened, you didn't lose consciousness, but just got rocked really good. IF you don't remember even a split second, more than likely a loss of consciousness.
What you should've done is taken it easy after the first one and rested up a few days before going back at it.

we never uses hard knees with contact to the head during sparring..

First off thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread, It's great to know there are people in the mma community who are nice enough to do that. I went to the doctor today and he thinks that the white flash was just from my eyes jolting in my head really quick. The only thing is, I got hit on my right temple but I have been having persistent headaches since then on the left side of my head. The doctor, however, thinks they are probably not related.

I'm sure he knew better, but he was training for his karate black belt so I think he was getting really frustrated at how easily I could take him down. I guess the thought of him being a black belt and getting destroyed by my wrestling was too much for him to handle.

I'm sure he knew better, but he was training for his karate black belt so I think he was getting really frustrated at how easily I could take him down. I guess the thought of him being a black belt and getting destroyed by my wrestling was too much for him to handle.

Not to mention everytime I took him down I had to let him up and restart standing again, because he was focusing more on standup to get ready for his karate black belt test. In reality I would of alrdeady submitted or knocked him out on the ground about 10 times.

First off thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread, It's great to know there are people in the mma community who are nice enough to do that. I went to the doctor today and he thinks that the white flash was just from my eyes jolting in my head really quick. The only thing is, I got hit on my right temple but I have been having persistent headaches since then on the left side of my head. The doctor, however, thinks they are probably not related.

Smart choice. Lots of things can occur during training, and you obviously can't go to the doctor for all of them, however, checking something like you mentioned is definitely better safe than sorry. Like someone said, take a little time off to rest, and once you return, more than likely things will be back to normal. Good luck.

Back