I rewatched Heat last night for the first time in probably 20 years. Let's talk about it.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The true story that inspired Heat largely took place in Chicago. What led you to set the film in Los Angeles?

MICHAEL MANN: L.A. is more balkanized than Chicago. There’s a unity to Chicago. It’s got north and south streets. It’s all in a grid. It has a downtown area. Then you have residential neighborhoods. Then it goes on to suburbs. L.A. is all these little cities put together. If you think of L.A. as the County of Los Angeles, it’s bigger than most countries. So, if you go into refining areas around Wilmington, or this unincorporated part of Terminal Island where the chop shop is and the pit bull fighting arena was, where Pacino berates his informant — played by Ricky Harris, who tragically died this last year. Or the refineries De Niro is driving through when he’s on the phone to Jon Voight, kind of locates William Fichtner. Those kind of landscapes are all available here, because this place is just so irrigated. It just felt like this is the real domain that this movie should happen within.

All of the Los Angeles locations in this film feel so iconic. How did you go about finding them?

I love moving around within the milieu of something I’m going to make a film about, and experiencing as much as I can what the real lives of my characters — the people the characters are based on — what those are about. What they’re thinking, what they’re feeling, where they’re from, what their life’s ambitions are. Because everybody’s dimensional. Who’s their mommy? Who’s their daddy? And, in doing that, I quickly realized that I’ve been living in Los Angeles for a quite a long time, but I didn’t really know urban Los Angeles. Didn’t know L.A.

So myself, and a guy who was a commander in the LAPD in plainclothes, we started touring around at least one night every weekend for about six months. We’d go out from about 9 p.m. to 2 or 3 in the morning, and just troll the city, answering radio calls. There’d be a homicide in Pacoima. We’d wind up in the middle of an armed robbery in progress. Another time, we’d just left some crazy incident where some guy had stolen two traffic lights, which are very big, and had put them in a shopping cart. Some guy who was drunk with his girlfriend in a Camry ran into the shopping cart, and this guy was very pissed off that they had ruined his traffic lights.

So you’d run into these absurd situations. Or the guy with the console TV, who’s in the beginning of the film in the armored van robbery, he’s somebody else we met on the street. I would just pop these people into the movie. And you discover things. That mountain of sulfur, the chop shop, the pit bull fighting arena, are real places we discovered in this unincorporated part of Terminal Island.

When it came to remastering the film for the Blu-ray, were there specific sequences you focused on?

Yeah, the whole film! When you go into Blu-Ray, and you go to 4K, you’re in a different color space. Meaning that what was magenta doesn’t translate exactly. There’s no logarithm you could use to make “magenta” still stay magenta, with that exact color. So you have to imagine everything, from contrast, to how black blacks are, to what the color palette is. The ambition here was: If I was shooting the film two or three years ago, what would it look like? That was really it. So we went into every shot.

Your style in your more recent films has evolved from when you made Heat. Did that affect how you looked at this film?

Let me put this rather precisely. When you see an emotion on a human’s face, how much of the face do you see? What constitutes fear? What constitutes apprehension? What constitutes suspicion?

Yes, I evolved, but also, audience perception evolves, and media evolves, year to year. If I shot this film two or three years ago, this particular film would be less chromatic. And the sense of tension would become more pronounced with greater contrast and kind of a more blue-black palette, than the film as I wanted it to be when I shot it in ’94-’95.

Are there any moments in particular that bring up what you’re talking about, that as you’re working with the 4K, any sequence in the film that you think is seen anew on this definitive edition?

The one that comes to mind is when Hanna is chasing Neil McCauley at the end of the film past the airport. All that is a lot darker. Primary reds are stripped out. The reflections in the metal – everything is substantially darker, if I showed you the before and after. They’re big steps, they’re not subtleties.

It was recently reported that you’re hired Reed Farrel Coleman to co-write a Heat prequel novel. Can you talk about that project?

I can’t really, because it’s kind of under wraps what we’re thinking of doing, and it’s in early stages.

The other thing that I’ve been working on now that’s similar, and it is very different: I acquired an extraordinary book by Mark Bowden which is coming out June 6, called Hue, 1968. It’s the entire pivotal battle during the Tet Offensive. All of the storytelling is told within the personal stories of hundreds of people caught in this compression in this war zone. It has a democracy of weight to each character, whether they’re a U.S. marine, or a high school teacher from Hanoi middle school who’s met the NVA (North Vietnamese Regular Army) military infantrymen, or LBJ in his pajamas. It’s gonna be a limited series, either 8 or 10 hours. That’s got all my attention, along with Ferrari [a biopic starring Hugh Jackman], which I plan to do in 2018.

"Director's Definitive Edition."
WfiRzsb.gif

Picked this up on Blu-Ray yesterday. The "Director's Definitive Edition."

Apparently there's a three-part documentary on the making of the film on the disc. Looking forward to checking that out.

<datassdom>

Eh I dunno. It was definitely solid but one of the more overrated movies that gets brought up. I think al Pacino is a complete bum so maybe he ruins it for me. He’s terrible.

I always found it odd that such a professional would take his eyes off Waingro just because he had to wait a second. Seems incredibly unlike his character.

That whole scene was a mess. In the cafe, they banged Waingros head on the table in front of everyone.

That whole scene was a mess. In the cafe, they banged Waingros head on the table in front of everyone.

That was completely realistic. Most people don’t do shit in those situations.

Say what you will about Kilmer but imo he was perfect, Keanu just doesnt have that slimy bank robber type feel to him if you get what Im saying. Also Kilmer's character isnt some professional cartoonistic hitman, there's realism to missing, not reloading properly in the heat of fire etc. People dont always stay John Wick cool in firefights.
I hear you about that last bit. I trained forever for combat. I did a reload in a firefight in Iraq and fumbled my mag and had to get another one out of my vest. It's really hard to be cool under fire.

One of the best crime movies ever made when it comes to bank robberies. The directing was so good. The cast was top notch along with authenticity. Most of those guys have been in some dirt in real life. Whoever wrote Den of Theives bit the shit out of HEAT. From the way spoke to they way they acted their parts they all carried themselves as straight fuckin gangster. Every action scene was very well done. Especially the shootout after the failed robbery. %100 CLASSIC film

While I've never done this, I think trying to bang a grown man's head on the table would be a lot harder than what was presented.

Neck muscles would immediately kick in and keep the impact from being too hard. De Niro almost KOs a huge dude like Waingro though.

Took me 3 sittings to get through it. Not bad, but very overrated. Also I realized how much of a call back to this movie the bank heist in the dark night is. Even has that one dude in it

Reservoir Dogs is better, imo.

Heat is fantastic though.

Can anybody come up with two actors who could have played the leading characters? And I mean in 1995, not today.

I'm confident about one guy, and that is Sean Penn. He was easily on par with De Niro and Pacino... And Penn could have played either character.

However, I can't think of the other half. The obvious choice would be Mickey Rourke, but he was so irrelevant at that time, and damaged as a serious actor, which was his own undoing. So you can't really go with him, because its a high profile film. And while never lost his natural ability, I would argue that he never reached high profile status.

So I guess its between Tom Hanks and Brad Pitt.

The sound design is just, on another level to every other movie. No movie has ever captured to sound of how the cracks, whips and deafening sound of gunfire ever like this movie accomplished. With each burst of gunfire, you damn well wanna duck to avoid it even though you know its a movie. Its a true masterpiece in sound design. Movies have taken inspiration from this but theyve never truly captured that "gun sound" and its been 23 years since it released.

As for the movie feeling "cold", its the color palette. IMO it represents the smooth cool nature of the characters if we're trying to be pretentious analytical critics but its damn well great movie.

This X1,000,000. I watched it with surround sound and it was fucking wild. You're right about the gun fire.

The sound design is just, on another level to every other movie. No movie has ever captured to sound of how the cracks, whips and deafening sound of gunfire ever like this movie accomplished. With each burst of gunfire, you damn well wanna duck to avoid it even though you know its a movie. Its a true masterpiece in sound design. Movies have taken inspiration from this but theyve never truly captured that "gun sound" and its been 23 years since it released.

As for the movie feeling "cold", its the color palette. IMO it represents the smooth cool nature of the characters if we're trying to be pretentious analytical critics but its damn well great movie.

If I’m not mistaken they did everything in real time for that scene and didn’t use any sound stage type stuff. Just basically live shooting on the streets recorded straight up. That’s why it sounds incredible.

Can anybody come up with two actors who could have played the leading characters? And I mean in 1995, not today.

I'm confident about one guy, and that is Sean Penn. He was easily on par with De Niro and Pacino... And Penn could have played either character.

However, I can't think of the other half. The obvious choice would be Mickey Rourke, but he was so irrelevant at that time, and damaged as a serious actor, which was his own undoing. So you can't really go with him, because its a high profile film. And while never lost his natural ability, I would argue that he never reached high profile status.

So I guess its between Tom Hanks and Brad Pitt.

Would love to see Prime Rourke as Hanna. He had so much vulnerability under dat leading man exterior.

Would love to see Prime Rourke as Hanna. He had so much vulnerability under dat leading man exterior.

I think I got this:

Shia LaBeouf as Vincent Hanna. The relentless hunter, who will stop at nothing to get his prey.

Vin Diesel as Neil: the quiet loner with a past, but he will turn tough on you in an instant if he has to! Don't make him.

And Kevin Hart as his right-hand man, Chris Shiherlis. Always there to provide Neil (Vin) with backup, if he needs to (& a little comic relief of course, with a witty line here or there!).

Make it happen Dana

Back