I probably just got a job as a Process Engineer

NamelessMC

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Have a brew on me. No... Have two! I got a call back this week from an engineering contracting firm my friend gave a reference for me. They need someone in their controls department to work with data acquisition and automation. Given my experience with automation, drafting and programmable controllers, I fit the bill.

I'm going up to their company for a face-to-face and a handshake. I'll have my official offer in paper when I drive back. I don't want to get into too many details about the salary but let's just say, I fit right where those BLS statistics say I should be.

So I'm pretty happy! I'm still one class from finishing my degree but they're mostly concerned that I get my license first.

The first thing I want to do? Do all the preventative maintenance on my car and clean up my debt and get my teeth taken care of. Dental insurance for students is atrocious and I have some decay in my teeth. The three things I need to be concerned with: My debt, my transportation and my health. After those are "up to par", I'll start thinking about how to enjoy my post-graduate career.

Conrats, Nameless! I'm stoked for you. I know you've been working on this since your "learn to code" thread.

I have zero idea what any of that means, but congratulations.

Congrats! I was gonna have a drink or two anyway, but now I have an excuse to get pissed.

Congratulations. I manage an R&D lab and we just hired a chemical engineer to do process optimization projects. So far he's proven very valuable.

If you kick ass in such a role your value will skyrocket. Good luck.

I have experience working with Process Engineers

It's definitely one of those important positions that should have a lot of different career paths

Sounds boring as fuck.

I'll start from the top:

I'm interdisciplinary Mechanical Engineering with an Environmental focus. We have to take chemistry courses, chemical engineering courses along with our mechanical and civil track.

Process Engineering could be boring. Fortunately for me it isn't with my projects. Data acquisition, sensors control, automation and optimization is pretty much the only way to improve the way things are going with manufacturing. I look forward to it.

I have to study AutoCAD, logic controllers, automation and process controls so that I can jump into the fray as soon as I start.

congratulations man, sounds like a job that pays well haha
enjoy life and stay happy, this journey called life should be cherished

Congrats, I see those guys almost everyday I work, some of the smartest men I've ever met.

I'll start from the top:

I'm interdisciplinary Mechanical Engineering with an Environmental focus. We have to take chemistry courses, chemical engineering courses along with our mechanical and civil track.

Process Engineering could be boring. Fortunately for me it isn't with my projects. Data acquisition, sensors control, automation and optimization is pretty much the only way to improve the way things are going with manufacturing. I look forward to it.

I have to study AutoCAD, logic controllers, automation and process controls so that I can jump into the fray as soon as I start.

Are you basically just watching the machines and seeing if and when they begin to malfunction, which then you will put in a request for a new one?

Congrats man. What type of firm will you be working for?

They mostly do sub contracted work for local businesses and the local government. Installations, maintenance, optimization, consultations, etc. They also do full builds from drafting to managing the construction.

We don't do any hard labor or construction work but if there's an automation system or a SCADA system that needs to be implemented, we would go in and manage the installation.

I'm gonna be splitting my work between augmenting the AutoCAD drafting team about 40% of the time and doing my own SCADA projects with the rest of my time. He told me he wants engineers he hires to be "lifers" so there's a lot of emphasis on training us, helping us get through graduate school at night, get our PE license, consistent promotions and advancement, etc.

They want to expand later this year after they finish their current portfolio (they have about 15~20 active projects going on) and when that happens, they'd want me to take on more responsibilities and maybe even have engineering technicians work for me.

Are you basically just watching the machines and seeing if and when they begin to malfunction, which then you will put in a request for a new one?

I call Dell support when I have to. Otherwise I just hook up ComputerCleaner and see if drivers are working. Most of the time, I'll just restart the computers.

That's awesome man, sounds fun. I work for a somewhat similar sounding firm, so I know the fun/misery you're getting into here. lol Best of luck!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Sounds like you are on the right track.

It's not boring at all.

Once you're all trained up, I'm pretty sure you're going to get pretty busy pretty fast and in demand from many different areas in the value streams/business unites

Back