I no longer think Tony is this unstoppable guy at LW

I never really saw Tony as unstoppable, due to his loss against MJ, and his getting rocked by Lando and Pettis.

He’s extremely entertaining, and one of my favorite fighters to watch, but he’s VERY beatable, no doubt about it.

I'm confused because I think Tony is overrated. He gets tagged way too much and wins due to hard work, which I respect.

I thought Max would crush Dustin and Tony but I was clearly wrong. I dunno anymore. Dustin is better than I thought even though I've always liked him

That's what you get for besmirching the name of Tony Ferguson on Shurdawg TS <Bottle.gif>

I'm confused because I think Tony is overrated. He gets tagged way too much and wins due to hard work, which I respect.

I thought Max would crush Dustin and Tony but I was clearly wrong. I dunno anymore. Dustin is better than I thought even though I've always liked him
Tony's defense is no worse than Max's

Tony vs Dustin or Khabib would be very tough picks for me. You can see the holes in Tony's game, but he always ends up pulling crazy stuff to make up for it. Tony's current situation is obviously an X factor, but I could see those fights going either way with the Tony we have seen up to this point.

I see where you are coming from but I favor Tony over Dustin. Tony has much longer reach and a height advantage over Poirier and his unrelenting pressure and ability to recover from shots will be too much imo

Poirier has been dealing pretty well against guys known for unrelenting pressure. For example, his last three fights against Alvarez, Gaethje and Holloway.

Tony gets cracked but has the ability to recover. He doesn’t gas either which I have no way to explain. If they fought, I see Tony battling through adversity and pouring it on getting a late TKO or submission.

It would be a great fight. Tony should have took the max fight. He would have beat max at 155, and had his interim belt back and a shot at khabib again. Fight may be cursed or 5th times a charm...

Dustin has to knock him out early which he's def capable of. Dustin was huffing and puffing from Max's pace from rounds 3-5 and needed breaks there. Max @ 155 can't put the type of pace, power, diversity and output of Tony. If Dustin doesn't get him outta there it's gonna go like every Tony fight does with the other guy getting drowned later in the fight. There's no one in LW history that could beat this version of Tony for 5 rounds except maybe Khabib. You almost have to finish him early
MJ beat him, he had faster striking and Tony has no wrestling. Tony is one of the greatest LW’s ever to be sure but if you mention the word “unbeatable” that only applies to one person in the top 5 and it isn’t Tony.

It'd be a great fight, honestly don't know who'd win.

This is a terrible matchup for Tony.

He would certainly be dropped/rocked in some point. Could he survive as he always does? Sure, but I think Dustin is a kind of killer that Tony never faced before.

He take a lot of damage and is getting old. His chin will not hold up him forever.

Tony needs to put his foot on the gas on his career if he really wants that Title. He is definitely not getting and younger day by day and sitting out is killing him.

Rewatching his fight with Pettis and Dustin’s fight with Max, I’m going with Dustin running a bulldozer through Tony’s face and KO in First or second

Dustin has power and amazing accuracy
He was catching Max from sides and while running

Tony is damn near legendary but Dustin’s frame,power and accuracy is a bomb

Not like Tony was BJJ and Taking down pettis with some cool wrestling
He stood up and fought and was very vulnerable
His elbows cut but don’t put away
Dustin will put him away
It’s not a recent fight bias. Dustin has been known for KO power
He could do that to max because max primarily boxes and was at a reach disadvantage..

that won't work against tony who has a 76" reach dustin would have to get inside , which could nullify his best work his hands ...

Try kill Tony by running a bulldozer over his face?

Not happening

Tony's got to be chopped into pieces and burnt in different parts of the world

giphy.gif

I never really saw Tony as unstoppable, due to his loss against MJ, and his getting rocked by Lando and Pettis.

He’s extremely entertaining, and one of my favorite fighters to watch, but he’s VERY beatable, no doubt about it.

You can't accidentally win 11 fights in a row.

He finds a way to win over and over again. Aside from his decision loss to MJ, where he was injured, he has a flawless UFC record. Pettis was able to hurt him, but not capitalize. The difference between him and Tony is Tony didn't wilt under the pressure and Pettis did. Pettis couldn't take anymore more shots and refused to answer the bell.

His chin won't last forever but Tony is the most proven lightweight in the world right now, arguably of all time.

I love how people complain that Tony only wins because he's physically Superior to his competitors but in most Real Sports if you don't have Tony level cardio, output, and toughness and you won't even make it as a backup/2nd string

The whole Tony only wins because he's physically better is 100% b*******. Having better output and toughness then your competitor is literally a component of every single physical sport like football and hockey yet in MMA it makes you overrated and unfair

Tony has unorthodox striking college wrestling and is a high-level BJJ black belt, he's not some untrained goon who's beating up Junior High kids on the playground let's be real

It's like whining that a race car is overrated and only wins because it has a better engine and suspension than the competitors. Well isn't a suspension and engine two of the biggest components of racing ?? (Derp)

Last edited:
You can't accidentally win 11 fights in a row.

He finds a way to win over and over again. Aside from his decision loss to MJ, where he was injured, he has a flawless UFC record. Pettis was able to hurt him, but not capitalize. The difference between him and Tony is Tony didn't wilt under the pressure and Pettis did. Pettis couldn't take anymore more shots and refused to answer the bell.

His chin won't last forever but Tony is the most proven lightweight in the world right now, arguably of all time.
He’s a fantastic fighter, no doubt, but I’ve always felt it was basically a toss-up between him and the top echelon of LW’s (Conor, Khabib, and now Dustin, and possibly even Max).

My point was he never looked unbeatable to me, whereas other fighters like Khabib have much more dominant victories in their repertoire.

Tony's the type to take performance inhibiting drugs.

He’s a fantastic fighter, no doubt, but I’ve always felt it was basically a toss-up between him and the top echelon of LW’s (Conor, Khabib, and now Dustin, and possibly even Max).

My point was he never looked unbeatable to me, whereas other fighters like Khabib have much more dominant victories in their repertoire.

Right but feelings aren't facts. They are literally just your feelings.

Poirer got tapped out by the Korean Zombie and spectacularly knocked out by both Conor and Michael Johnson. Cub Swanson even out wrestled him, and he's a pretty average wrestler at best. Dustin hasn't faced the elite of the division since he arrived.

Conor was put away in the second round by Nate Diaz, who almost as a rule has lost to top 10 ranked opponents. He then got absolutely smashed in a completely noncompetitive fight with Khabib.

We can't say "its a toss up" with Tony who has managed 11 consecutive wins without getting put away repeatedly and has the more impressive strength of schedule compared to all his peers.

Back