I need verification of something odd.....

Red Harvest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rolling last night with a few new faces. One gentleman in particular was especially good. Very fluid and had a great technique. We got to speaking of lineage and all that elitist BS and he mentioned to me that he had been awarded a BB by Saulo and was now working towards a BB under Gustavo Machado. I'm not one to judge folks or their claims. I have no reason to unless I catch them lying.

Anybody ever heard of anyone doing this? 2 BB in the same discipline. I've been in BJJ for 13 years and it's the first I've ever heard of it.

Saulo has less than 50 BB I think, so it shouldn't be hard

Never heard of someone working towards two black bets under different guys. I've heard of people being awarded bb by two guys though (Pedro sauer is a rickson and helio bb I think and there was a recent one awarded by fabio gurgel and Roger Gracie too)

Ximu was a luta livre guy before he started training bjj, wasn't he? So maybe there's some separate ranking with regards to that?

Otherwise it makes no sense.

The only arguement I can see for this are the people who believe that BJJ, GJJ, & MJJ are really so vastly different (they're not) that you lose something if you don't train all three.

Gotcha. It's all jiu jitsu to me. My instructor started his training under Rodrigo Gracie, and Rodrigo used to always tell him "If he taps, it's jiu jitsu."

Gotcha.

I know Professor Sauer had 2 but they were essentially awarded at the same time. This guy claims he got a BB and then started over as a white belt to work towards another under a different system. I didn't quite understand the logic but who am I to judge?

in before matt hughes says "it was good old american wrestling"

Thus being completely unrelated to the meaning of the quote. What Rodrigo was addressing was which submissions are legal. People would ask him "Oh, I used this technique, is that okay?" And he would respond by saying "If he taps, it's jiu jitsu" reflecting the bjj philosophy that all submissions and grappling techniques are valid. If it's effective than go with it, regardless of what it's called.

Thus being completely unrelated to the meaning of the quote. What Rodrigo was addressing was which submissions are legal. People would ask him "Oh, I used this technique, is that okay?" And he would respond by saying "If he taps, it's jiu jitsu" reflecting the bjj philosophy that all submissions and grappling techniques are valid. If it's effective than go with it, regardless of what it's called.

I was thinking about the choke hughes got on almeida and all the threads afterwards

Rolling last night with a few new faces. One gentleman in particular was especially good. Very fluid and had a great technique. We got to speaking of lineage and all that elitist BS and he mentioned to me that he had been awarded a BB by Saulo and was now working towards a BB under Gustavo Machado. I'm not one to judge folks or their claims. I have no reason to unless I catch them lying.

Anybody ever heard of anyone doing this? 2 BB in the same discipline. I've been in BJJ for 13 years and it's the first I've ever heard of it.

It doesn't seem that odd, or even that much more difficult to do than getting a single black belt.

I mean if my instructor decided to train under another instructor and start over at whitebelt, he would probably climb the ranks like it was nothing. Seems pointless to collect belts from different instructors just to do so, but if you were doing it just to learn from different teachers, then yeah thats sounds like a great way to get better.

Im calling shananigans.

No one gets a Black Belt under one instructor, and leaves to get another Black Belt under another.

Thats retarded.

Not to mention, who would be the guy to get a Black under Saulo, yet feel the need to earn rank under someone else?

It doesn't make any sense at all.
If he already possesses the skill set of a blackbelt, what good would starting over be?
I mean, then the only restrictions to being promoted would be time?
Is he trying to achieve the worlds fastest white to black belt record or something?
"Watch out, this guy is a 1 year black belt. Although it took him 15 years the first time around."
I call BS.
Even if he was a legit Saulo BB, Saulo should kick his ass for pulling something like this. It's like basically saying, a black belt under Saulo isn't good enough.

The only arguement I can see for this are the people who believe that BJJ, GJJ, & MJJ are really so vastly different (they're not) that you lose something if you don't train all three.

Gustavo Machado is Gracie Barra, not even Machado lineage.

For the TS:

I know Saulo makes you start over and earn ranks from him, but I don't believe Gustavo does anything like that... are you sure it wasn't the other way around?

like if he was a BB under Gustavo I could understand him having to earn another one under Saulo because of how he runs his academy, but the other way around doesn't sound like it makes sense...

Back