I need success stories: From Junk Food Junkie to Healthy Diet.

Dude, I know you said it's working for you, so this isn't meant to be disrespectful, I use the profanity to emphasize a point: low-carb diets (especially for athletes) are HORSESHIT. Dangerous horseshit.

First I didn't say I eat a completely low/no carb diet. Simply that my meal before bed is high protein low fat/carb. Second, there's nothing wrong with eating what most people would consider a low carb diet. Do you realize how much shit most people eat in the US? Cutting out french fries, most sugar and bleached flour is what I consider a low carb diet.

That would be a low simple carb diet.

People have a hard time these days differentiating between low carb and low simple carb, or low glycemic carb. Green veggies and whole grains are carbs too, as are fruit, so if you eat them in abundance, than your diet is most definitely not low-carb.

:D All you motherfuckers rule

About a year ago at my 20th birthday, I realized that over my first two years of college, I had gained over 75lbs since highschool when I was around 230. Keep in mind, I've never been remotely thin. My whole life I've been a pudgy kid who turned severly obese in college. I was like 310lbs and gaining. So, when I was back home for last summer, my uncle showed some genuine concern, and him being the only real male role model in my life, had lost 50 lbs the previous year. He said he'd be willing to help keep me on a diet, push me to exercise in the mornings before work and what not. No kidding, he helped!

I did a diet called the Scarsdale diet, which is probably the best commercial diet I've ever heard of. It's sort of low carb, but has small amounts of multi-grain bread dispursed throughout your days, and tons of lean protein and veggies and fruit. It more or less cuts out all the shit food and stresses not to eat when your not hungry.

The whole motivator of this diet was if i dropped 40 lbs by the end of the summer, I could drive my uncle's brand new Corvette Z06. After riding my bike and eating like a health freak, I did drop those 40 lbs and got to around 260lbs. I never got to drive it for various reasons though lol :redface:

Anywho, I was changing my whole life around at the time and I had left my school that I was at for the first two years and transfered to a school in Boston and got an apartment. When I moved here I wanted to keep losing weight, so I more or less ballanced out my diet to something I could do every day, along with a bit of exercise. I walk to and from school and work, so that definately helps.

Recently when my great grandfather passed away, the morning that he died, I woke up at 6AM and had a sudden urge to go for a run. Mind you, I never ran really, cept for track in high school. When I got out there, I just kept going and going. I think I made it over a mile which was impressive for me haha. Later that day I found out my great grandfather passed and I was devistated, but I don't know, I feel like that was a sign somehow.

I've been running ever since then, about a month and a half, I've gotten down to 230lbs, flat, as of this morning and I've really noticed a further change in my body. I can also do pullups now, which I couldnt even do a single one of a few months ago. I don't weight lift anymore, just running in the AM, then stretching, pushups, crunches, handstand pushups and pullups on anything that can support my weight throughout the day.

I feel so much better about my life now, and it's really a huge attitude change towards everything you do. Anyone can do it, but I guess you really need a good boot in the ass or a reality check before you're strong enough to do anything.

My mom is very obese as well, and she's stubborn about dieting. She more or less gets really pissed when I try and say anything to her about it, so I just get frustrated and walk away. She quit smoking a few years back and has developed thyroid problems, so hopefully with everything piling up on her she will make a move, sooner than later.

My sis is a stick and always has been. Skinny bitch! haha.

My goal is to get down to 200lbs and maybe even below. But for now I just focus on small goals and continually build until I'm satisfied.

I'm 5'9, pretty muscular from genetics. Anyone have any idea what an ideal weight for me might be?

King Kabuki said:
That would be a low simple carb diet.

People have a hard time these days differentiating between low carb and low simple carb, or low glycemic carb. Green veggies and whole grains are carbs too, as are fruit, so if you eat them in abundance, than your diet is most definitely not low-carb.

what does your average daily diet consist of? i'm looking to switch mine up a bit... any ideas?

Good posts King, that was a good read. Congrads on your success. I hope that you will be able to be a good influence on your family.

Sometimes I feel that because I have mastery over my own body, I can do so much more in the world. I mean, how can someone achieve there dreams if they can't even resist a twinkie?

You said it bro. How people don't see the correlation between Health and success is beyond me.

Jimm - Didn't mean to seem like I was ignoring you man, but my daily intake varies week-to-week because my eating habits get expensive and sometimes I have to ghetto-rig my regimen to get by through tough financial times.

Damn! I wasn't expecting much when I started this thread, but you guys have really put it all out there. Thanks. I can't even begin to say how much I've gotten from this thread. When I hit McDonald's this morning I got the Apple/ Grape/ Yogurt breakfast meal instead of the 500 calorie Egg McMuffin. It was suprisingly tasty.

Anybody else out there drink too much (beer, etc)? I'm not talking alcoholic, but more from a fitness angle. I mean, 3 beers is almost 400 calories.

I come home from work (I work in the sun and heat here in Arizona all day) and like to pop a few cold ones. So on top of a weak diet, I down several beers a night.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ignorant about diet. There's been times in my life when I have eaten about as healthy as it gets. But right now I'm kinda in a rut. Someone mentioned addiction earlier, and that's almost what it feels like: a food addiction.

To the guys who told your stories: thanks, I've taken a lot from them, and I'm sure others will to.

Mich Ultra homie. My mom drinks beer, and she uses this piss-water. Once you get used to it it's not that bad and she's been able to keep her figure with it. Give it a shot.

I find keepin my body alchohol free is very important for my fitness.

But this might just be me and my genetics.

I went 4 years while only grocery shopping on average three times a year. I literally got take out or fast food for like 90% of my meals. I also drank a ton. Maybe an average of 3-4 nights a week.

Then, one day (2 weeks ago), I just decided that this shit is out of hand and it has to stop. I went to the grocery store and bought "normal" food. I was somewhat careful in deciding what to pick out, but I wasn't reading labels or like.. only buying spinach and tofu. I just bought decent healthy food.

I've lost 8lbs already without much effort. I am not doing anything dramatic, I am just eating what is in my fridge and excersizing 3-5 times a week. And since what is in my fridge is for the most part healthy, it works out better than the 10,000 cal / day intake I was at before this.

I don't know what your situation is... if you're living alone, with parents, with kids... but I've found that it's pretty easy to stop eating shitty foods if you surround yourself with reasonable alternatives.

Eventually when I cut off a good portion of my "4 years of the worst food ever" weight, I will get more serious about the eating as well as the workouts, but for now, this is what's working.

... and I haven't felt this good in years.

Back