I need some opinions.

Runner

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm probably out of place here but I figured if I want to learn anything I should talk to some people who have mixed opinions rather than going to a gym and getting their biased ones.

I'm a young guy (14, shame on me) who's tall and lean with no MA background, but I do have a very athletic history, as I've done sports and fitness training for around 8 years. I want to get into some sort of MA, for self defense, possibly for future competition, and for general further fitness. Self defense is probably the biggest thing I'm looking for, as I can't do much on the damage side of things to some of the bigger guys my age. (Not that I want to get in a fight period)

I have family who have grappling experience, and it seems like something that would fit my body type more and set up good development, but I'm not an expert by any means and I don't want to pretend I am. I just want to know from people who have different opinions, what would MA to start with be? I've got limited options as I live in a small-medium city.

If I could get some serious replies with some explanation to help me wrap my mind around, I'd really appreciate it, since I have no knowledge on these topics as of yet. Thanks.

If you got an MMA gym or two (or however many) in your city, go for that. They might not even have their location on Google Maps updated if your city is as small as you say it is so you might have to learn location through word of mouth or some other through the grapevine way.

Jiu Jitsu & grappling in general is really fun. Striking is too, but when it comes to striking I like Muay Thai, and don't feel as fulfilled when kickboxing but kickboxing is still fun as fuck. Boxing is a blast, too.

Self defense wise, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is up there as well as Muay Thai. Catch, Freestyle &/or Greco-Roman as well as Sambo and Judo are great for that as well.

The fact of the matter is, if there's an MMA gym with a good coach, that's the way to go. There is a short list of proven arts, but there's nothing like having them all (even just/more realistically a great of understanding of two or three of those arts) at your disposal.

I needed nothing other than knowing how to properly utilize my grip & grip strength when saving a life. Standing body to back, the attackers arms were locked against his sides under mine wrapped around him and ending in a gable grip. The only time it wasn't locked was when I was disarming him and he still was virtually powerless.

Last edited:
Pick anything you like so long as they teach you techniques you are allowed to use in sparring and you can spar from month one if not day one.

And if they can't teach worth a damn you are better off going elsewhere.

If you got an MMA gym or two (or however many) in your city, go for that. They might not even have their location on Google Maps updated if your city is as small as you say it is so you might have to learn location through word of mouth or some other through the grapevine way.

Jiu Jitsu & grappling in general is really fun. Striking is too, but when it comes to striking I like Muay Thai, and don't feel as fulfilled when kickboxing but kickboxing is still fun as fuck. Boxing is a blast, too.

Self defense wise, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is up there as well as Muay Thai. Catch, Freestyle &/or Greco-Roman as well as Sambo and Judo are great for that as well.

The fact of the matter is, if there's an MMA gym with a good coach, that's the way to go. There is a short list of proven arts, but there's nothing like having them all (even just/more realistically a great of understanding of two or three of those arts) at your disposal.

I needed nothing other than knowing how to properly utilize my grip & grip strength when saving a life. Standing body to back, the attackers arms were locked against his sides under mine wrapped around him and ending in a gable grip. The only time it wasn't locked was when I was disarming him add he still was virtually powerless.
Google maps lists a fair share of places that teach in my city. Mostly BJJ and Karate. However there are little to no reviews on the places. There's one MMA gym, and it has the most positive reviews by far (at a whopping four) and one of the instructors is someone I know well, but due to the lack of thought out reviews I'm unsure whether they're a waste of time or not. Thanks so much for the input though.

Pick anything you like so long as they teach you techniques you are allowed to use in sparring and you can spar from month one if not day one.

And if they can't teach worth a damn you are better off going elsewhere.
I definitely understand that if they can't teach me, then I'm wasting time and money, but as a first time attender, how will I really know if it's good quality teaching or not?

Google maps lists a fair share of places that teach in my city. Mostly BJJ and Karate. However there are little to no reviews on the places. There's one MMA gym, and it has the most positive reviews by far (at a whopping four) and one of the instructors is someone I know well, but due to the lack of thought out reviews I'm unsure whether they're a waste of time or not. Thanks so much for the input though.

You have a Gracie Barra, good enough

Edit: this is just off google someone can confirm lineage though since idk these dudes.

I definitely understand that if they can't teach me, then I'm wasting time and money, but as a first time attender, how will I really know if it's good quality teaching or not?

How often they drill the basics in my opinion. How clear their explanation is. How consistently they teach a group of related techniques rather than randomly learning techniques day after day.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Any more is always appreciated.

Easy.

Do they have a proper curriculum set in place?

I'm probably out of place here but I figured if I want to learn anything I should talk to some people who have mixed opinions rather than going to a gym and getting their biased ones.

I'm a young guy (14, shame on me) who's tall and lean with no MA background, but I do have a very athletic history, as I've done sports and fitness training for around 8 years. I want to get into some sort of MA, for self defense, possibly for future competition, and for general further fitness. Self defense is probably the biggest thing I'm looking for, as I can't do much on the damage side of things to some of the bigger guys my age. (Not that I want to get in a fight period)

I have family who have grappling experience, and it seems like something that would fit my body type more and set up good development, but I'm not an expert by any means and I don't want to pretend I am. I just want to know from people who have different opinions, what would MA to start with be? I've got limited options as I live in a small-medium city.

If I could get some serious replies with some explanation to help me wrap my mind around, I'd really appreciate it, since I have no knowledge on these topics as of yet. Thanks.

You're 14? Go out for the wrestling team. That's not an opportunity you'll have later in life, it's an incredibly effective martial art in any context, and you'll learn a lot very quickly. If you didn't want to do that, I'd say find a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, or an MMA gym. The big thing you need to ask anywhere is if they spar, and how often people compete. If there's no sparring and no competitions (or if no one from the school participates in them), then it's not really martial arts. It's dancing in pajamas.

Ultimately you just have to go try some places out and see what you like. Yelp reviews are not going to give you the answers you need. Most schools are really good at working with new people (that's how they survive as businesses), so I wouldn't have any worries.

You're 14? Go out for the wrestling team. That's not an opportunity you'll have later in life, it's an incredibly effective martial art in any context, and you'll learn a lot very quickly. If you didn't want to do that, I'd say find a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, or an MMA gym. The big thing you need to ask anywhere is if they spar, and how often people compete. If there's no sparring and no competitions (or if no one from the school participates in them), then it's not really martial arts. It's dancing in pajamas.

Ultimately you just have to go try some places out and see what you like. Yelp reviews are not going to give you the answers you need. Most schools are really good at working with new people (that's how they survive as businesses), so I wouldn't have any worries.
x2 for the wrestling team. Cant believe this was not mentioned sooner. As an adult I always wish I had done wrestling at OP's age.

Last edited:

Seeing the thread now, it's clear your best choice available is MMA & wrestling along with it (if wrestling is available in your area). That's the best choice of anyone looking for what you're looking for. Complete control in all areas of the fight including the junctures (smooth transitions between striking to grappling whether it be standing or on the ground or standing to the ground or from the ground to standing, etc.)

In my area I've been to just about every MMA gym, the best one BY FAR is the gym I'm at currently which hasn't updated it's Google Maps location and isn't all about it's Facebook profile. The reviews might not tell you anything, one of the worst gyms I went to the instructor pushed all his students & their family members to post 5 star reviews.

just go to the gym, most gyms offer anything from 1 free day to a whole week or two free weeks, idk if anyone gives out a month but I could've sworn I've seen that crazily generous offer before, might've been just a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academy.

Join the wrestling team, and if you can, join a Bjj academy as well...

Back