I need some insight from you grappling guys

Murmillo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new, I lurked a bit, but that's not what the threads about.

I wrestle in highschool, but I train Muay Thai just as much in the off season. My school has a submission grappling class that I thought I might start taking to learn some sub defense and sweeps, but I'm not really to sure if it's legitimate. My Kru is more than qualified to teach Muay Thai and Boxing, but idk about the grappling.

He's got a level one coach certification from Erik Paulson if that means anything to you guys. I know who Paulson is, and a little about CSW, but idk what being a level one coach under him means. Does it make my Kru competent enough to teach some basic grappling?

Go for it unless you have another legit option in your area, anythings better than watching youtube instructionals.

Hey, I'm new, I lurked a bit, but that's not what the threads about.

I wrestle in highschool, but I train Muay Thai just as much in the off season. My school has a submission grappling class that I thought I might start taking to learn some sub defense and sweeps, but I'm not really to sure if it's legitimate. My Kru is more than qualified to teach Muay Thai and Boxing, but idk about the grappling.

He's got a level one coach certification from Erik Paulson if that means anything to you guys. I know who Paulson is, and a little about CSW, but idk what being a level one coach under him means. Does it make my Kru competent enough to teach some basic grappling?

If you wrestle in HS and are average or better ou should be able to tell pretty quickly if your coach is legit. The good thing about grappling is when you cross over many of the same principles apply to the other sport.

judge for yourself.

Is it part of your current membership, does there seem to be some good fighters participating in the class, did you ask him what the level one cert is? Eric Paulson is definitely legit, but what the heck does the level one cert mean? Did he train under him, attend a seminar, buy his book?

I would find out answers to these things but there's only one way to find out if you'll like it, try a few classes.

Paulson himself is more than legit. He's one of the best trainers out there. His certifications, on the other hand, seemed to be doled out rather liberally. I don't know.

Level 1 in CSW doesn't mean much by itself. Guys who would get worked by white belts in BJJ can hold that certification.

Level 1 in CSW doesn't mean much by itself. Guys who would get worked by white belts in BJJ can hold that certification.

Well that sucks. Idk, there are alot of talented grapplers with no real rank, perhaps my Kru got the certification so he had something to show new guys. I'll find out.

Is it part of your current membership, does there seem to be some good fighters participating in the class, did you ask him what the level one cert is? Eric Paulson is definitely legit, but what the heck does the level one cert mean? Did he train under him, attend a seminar, buy his book?

I would find out answers to these things but there's only one way to find out if you'll like it, try a few classes.

I wish I knew what the certification meant, I was hoping you guys would tell me.

But yeah, I figured it would end up like this. I'll probably make the time to attend a class or two in the next week.

lvl 1 or lvl 1 coach which might actually be lvl 4? confusing but i found someone on another website saying he had his lvl 1 coaching certification and was also lvl 3 certified.... confusing why don't they just use belts :)

Back