I need help on what weight class I should be in

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Relentless chase, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Relentless chase

Relentless chase The one and only

Alright so, I'm 5'6 with a 67" reach. I've been training for almost 2 solid years. I plan to make my ammy debut soon and I just need to know what weight class I should be at. I'm pretty built and stocky, I walk at 190. I could easily get to welterweight, possibly lightweight, but I don't wanna cut that much weight. I know there were successful 5'6 welterweight's in the UFC, such as Matt Serra and Sean Sherk. I train with guys much taller than me and that out reach me tremendously.
    so I've gotten out of my comfort zone.
    I fear no man I have in front of me as I feel like I could tango with the taller guys. I wanna know opinions as to what weight class I should fight at and go from there.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Clippy likes this.
  2. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

67" reach is about 5'7?

This is something you should be talking with your coach about, not us. How much bodyfat are you carrying? Try to keep it honest. Have you cut weight (water manipulation) before? If not, 20lbs isn't easy. I know everyone in the UFC / pro fighters cut 20lbs+, but thats because they're at that stage, and most have a background in wrestling, so they've been cutting since forever.

2 years training in MMA... Do you have background other than that eg. wrestling in highschool / college?

How do you handle striking? I'm not asking this as a tough guy question or response. What I mean is, I have seen alot of grapplers shut down and stall due to underestimating striking, and worse they lost by sub. With you being at a height disadvantage, and if you also lack striking exp. things are not going to work well in your favor.
    There's no worst feeling, than being outstruck by someone taller, with you not being able to hit them at all. Its one reason strikers prefer fighting shorter heavier guys over taller ones. Sure they can hit hard, but at least you can hit them. As the taller fighter they control 2/3 ranges, kicking and clinching. Shorter fighter's best chance is boxing distance. Striking-wise.

And your competition will depend on the region where you are (or at least competing in). Where I am, a good amount of the guys are strikers + TDD, so most of them are a bit taller in their weight class. the featherweights here are around 5'8-5'10. A couple I know are 5'11.
    If you're going to be competing in a state where wrestling is heavy, the guys there will be a bit shorter, but not too short though.

Honestly imo, for your debut you can try the higher weight classes, maybe a catchweight of 175. This is really to see how you can handle it, more of a test than anything.
    I wouldn't expect too much of you here. If you win then thats awesome, like I said its just a test to see where you are. When I started competing I was competing at 140, then went to 145-150, and now I'm at home with lightweight (155). My case for going up isn't even talking about a height adv/disadvantage, at the lower classes I felt weak, lethargic, and had bad cases of diarrhea for a few days. I don't have that at 155.

The UFC is a good estimate of what to aim for, but really you should be checking it with the local amateurs as you'll be going against them. As I said, over here guys are taller, and thats not the the norm with the UFC, but its what we have to deal with over here.

I would also do test cuts to see what you can handle. Aim for 10lbs, then build it up. I've had 3 fights and 3 exhibitions (muay thai), I've cut weight for every single one of them, currently my best is 15lbs, and it was tough, but not hospital level tough. I think at best I can do 17-18. I'm 170 before cutting.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  3. Relentless chase

I had no background when I started training in mma. I train in all aspects, so my striking, wrestling, bjj.. all of it is strong. My coach thinks I'd be fine at welterweight. I did a test cut last month, because I plan on making my debut soon, and I got to 170, or that's the lowest I tried getting down to.. and I felt great. I felt much faster than as to when I was walking at 190. I had a hard sparring session and put 5 rounds in the bag with a 6'0 welterweight that has a 76" reach. of course I had to keep hydrated cutting that much weight, but yea I didn't have anything wrong happen to me. I'm naturally athletic as I've played sports pretty much all of my life. I don't know my body fat % right off the bat, but it's not too high I know that for sure. the only thing you can notice on me at 190lbs is my love handles are just a tad bit noticeable. when I cut weight though, you can't tell I even have love handles. I plan on getting on a better diet than what I'm on and leaning up. I might start out as a welterweight, take a few fights at 170 then go from there. I feel like I could make lightweight if I leaned down. idk I was just wanting some opinions.. overall I do feel comfortable being at 170, I have great striking, wrestling and bjj and my body feels right at 170. I'm good at pressuring and closing the distance and getting inside. when I'm sparring a 6'0 welterweight, I'll mainly strike with him for the first 3 rounds, the last 2 I'll feint some strikes and shoot for takedowns and get him on the ground. so yea thanks for your reply

4. j123

Looks like you have everything in order, and your coach is good with it.
    Playing sports in your youth is pretty much an athletic base, and thats a plus bringing that into combat sports.

Best of luck with your upcoming debut

biscuitsbrah and Clippy like this.
  5. biscuitsbrah

biscuitsbrah Red Belt

Sounds like welterweight it is...

Nothing worse than cutting weight like a professional fighter just to find out the guy pulled out or didn't even make weight.

6. Relentless chase

Yea man no lie, that's actually come across my mind. that's why I'm gonna try to lean down so I don't have to cut so much weight.
    there's been guys in my gym that's had guys pull out of fights. as I call it, they pull a "Jose Aldo" if you know Aldo, you'll know what I'm talking about lol I'm gonna hopefully lean down and see how low in weight I can get to. I'll take on some welterweights for now.. but maybe on into 2017, I'll start leaning down and see if I can make 155. I know that's gonna be hectic, but I'm all about challenging myself.

j123 and biscuitsbrah like this.
  7. j123

Oh man, that sucks big time. I've just been doing tournaments for a long time so I actually forgot about this.

8. biscuitsbrah

biscuitsbrah Red Belt

Lol ya. That's why my teams philosophy is that as an amateur we don't cut much weight and we don't put too much stock in studying opponents or their team.

9. j123

The latter esp. anything below A-class. C and lower-B class fights are the same overall, and at that stage fights more on instinct than tactics/gamplanning.