I need Boxing advice & help!

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ddman, Jul 17, 2010.

1. ddman

ddman White Belt

I was in a Boxing tourney on Saturday and encountered two styles/bodytypes that gave me problems. I entered into the heavyweight division. I'm 6 feet 208 pounds.

First match was against a 6'5+ 250lb+ opponent, he got me with a good jab at the beginning and a right cross in the middle of first round, every attempt to jab him seemed futile because he was much taller. I resorted to going hard to body and repeatedly going for the spleen and solar plexus. He started gassing from the body shots, and when he lowered himself to protect his body I was able to use left hooks and uppercuts. I won via TKO/KO in the third, but my jab was hardly used at all. Is this normal? Is it a waste of time trying to jab against a larger opponent?

Second match was against a 5'10 250 pound power lifter built fighter, he cut off my angles to the left and the right, and swung overhand/looping hooks to the top of my head. I was protecting my head well with my gloves, didn't get hit in the chin or nose, but these hits hurt and i lost the fight due to tko. In sparring the peekaboo defence and circling had always worked to protect the deflect the energy. Even if a shot hit me on the top of my head, it didn't phase me... but this guy was strong, and now I know shots to the top of the head can do a lot of damage.

I think slipping and ducking should be implemented a lot more if I fight this guy again because he timed my circling with overhand bombs and landed overtop of my gloves.

2. TheTruth1982

TheTruth1982 Guest

you answered your own question. you're a smaller heavyweight. slipping, bobbing, weaving should be utilized a lot against bigger guys.

as far as getting hurt even while your gloves are up, you have to expect that. you can't count on your gloves to keep you safe. there are guys who have broken their opponents forearms by punching them. there are guys that could knock you out even if your glove absorbs the blow. try keeping a tighter guard and moving away from the punch.

3. ddman

ddman White Belt

I guess part of it is that I had never fought/sparred anybody with that power before - it was a rude awakening. I did move away from the punches, but he trapped me in the corners and then would throw left or right hook depending on what way i tried to circle.

I think the slipping, bobbing and weaving would be best , stay low, I watched the video of my fight and I stayed too high up. I guess it's mental, it's hard to slip and duck under somebody who is not taller than you, but a lot more powerfull, it's hard mentally to move closer to an opponent who is hitting you, when you can only think of getting out of there.

I was too complacent with my ability to block and parry. Though as you said, when you fight guys who can break your elbows and arms with their punches, you have to re-think your strategy.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    For the second fight, work on keeping your distance properly.

When guys cut off your angles, just keep a centered posture. Im not saying stand still, but as they cut, you can intercept them if you take the center with a cross or a hook.

5. ddman

ddman White Belt

centered posture? You mean take the center of the ring ?

In the first fight I was circling a little but he never swarmed me. I managed to control the center of the ring in that first fight. The second fight he swarmed me and my circling/backing up resulted in me in being the in the corner trapped.

If I'm understanding you, next time I'll try to stay circle into the center of the ring instead of circling away from the center of the ring. Also, use lots of ducking and slipping to keep the center without getting hit, stay in close to the opponent because he likes to throw big bombs.

6. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with papakhka

Great job on the first KO !!

About the second, his weight advantage got to you, he must have been a very strong guy. I would have expected you to use your reach advantage against the second guy though and jab the shit out of him.

7. ddman

ddman White Belt

that was my plan, jab, cover up, jab, circle out. He was willing to take them though to get inside and cut off my angle. I need to work in a ring more and work on controlling the center and ducking punches and staying low against a swarmer who likes to go high over the gloves.