I need a dog, suggestions?

I have two Maltese. (One is 25% poodle so technically a maltipoo) They are very hard to train (stupid) and are barkers. Cutest and silliest dogs I’ve ever had though.

The toy poodle I had was truly a good dog too. So smart and easy to train.

I’ve heard great things about Shetland sheepdogs. They do shed a lot though. Definitely my next dog if I ever get one after.

Shetland-Sheepdog-Facing-Right.jpg

Hadn't considered a sheltie, thanks.

If you are going to make the dog live in a small backyard, in the heat, and you also don't want to walk it very much, I would say don't get a dog. That's going to be a very solitary, very shitty life for the animal.

Its a fair comment but to be clear it's not going to be solitary as I have 2 young kids, and I am happy to walk it but something like a blue heeler or border collie is going to lose its shit if only walked twice a day which is going to happen sometimes.

My neighbour has a German Shepard and some other large dog in their same sized yard.

Last edited:
Its a fair comment but to be clear it's not going to be solitary as I have 2 young kids, and I am happy to walk it but something like a blue heeler or border collie is going to lose its shit if only walked twice a day which is going to happen sometimes.

My neighbour has a German Shepard and some other large dog in their same sized yard.

Yea I can't do it man, I can't lock a dog in a back yard like that. Dogs are creatures that need a lot of love and interaction and attention. I have 3 kids and I would never make our dog live in the back yard, alone for the majority of its existence. Think of this, even if your kids go outside an hour in the backyard, every single day, that means that dog is alone 23 hours per day. That is a ROUGH existence I can't doom a dog to that.

Ladradoodle. Big dog no shedding.
side-by-side-267x400.jpg

Or get a White German Shepherd like i did and go through 3 vacuum cleaners a year

20200905_212201.jpg

Last edited:
So i want to get my boys a dog but I can't decide what sort, hoping to get some suggestions.

My boys are 4 and 2.
Live in a townhouse so small yard.

Don't want anything that needs walking twice a day or is aggressive.

Live in Australia so things like a bulldog is out (overheat).

Read your post to my wife.

She said you need a cat.

HTH

Yea I can't do it man, I can't lock a dog in a back yard like that. Dogs are creatures that need a lot of love and interaction and attention. I have 3 kids and I would never make our dog live in the back yard, alone for the majority of its existence. Think of this, even if your kids go outside an hour in the backyard, every single day, that means that dog is alone 23 hours per day. That is a ROUGH existence I can't doom a dog to that.

It would be an inside dog as well.

boston terrier. pug face, dont really bark and are kinda small. or the Frasier dog

It would be an inside dog as well.

I've owned dogs my entire life so let me tell you what I've learned.

1. I love my dogs like family members, so no living outside.
2. When dogs are living outside they smell, they need a bath, and when you want to bring them inside nobody is happy to see a stinky dog.
3. Since my dogs live inside, I get dogs that are hypoallergenic, meaning they don't shed.
4. Some dogs have fur, which generally is not shed, some dogs have hair, some of the dogs with hair shed, some don't.
5. Large dogs are harder to handle, but also eat more and require more space. Additionally, large dogs generally live shorter lifespans.

So in conclusion, get a small to medium sized dog, get one that does not shed, and let it live inside. It will be your best friend, your kids will love it, you will love it, and you won't feel like a dick making the poor animal live outside in the heat of summer and cold of winter.

I had a super mutt chow mix and she was by far the best behaved dog I've ever encountered and loved people. I've heard terrible things about chow mixes but she was an absolute blessing to know.

If you happen to run into a chow mix the only thing I'd warn you about is how poorly they deal with heat and the excessive shedding. If you got a male and didn't get him fixed I've heard they're pretty dominant but nothing like the Spitz or Bull breeds. Fearfulness can manifest into fear aggression but I haven't seen it.

Just whatever you do, don’t get a pitbull... You’ve got children. Can’t chance it.

For $500 a month I'll live in your house and protect it. What better dog than the Woldog.

Edit: I see you're in Australia like me so Logistically this deal just got better for you.

Go to your local animal shelter and adopt one. Take your boys and meet some dogs.

Yeah all the dogs I've had in my life since childhood are the ones that were given away or weren't wanted.

My first dog was the last dog of the litter taken by us. Second dog was given way by fathers friend. Third dog was from the shelter. Fourth also from the shelter.

Back