I Miss GSP ; and I was one of those that called him boring

I'm a fan of GSP and was gutted when he announced he's retirement, but I'm happy he did.
Way too many fighters retire too late damaging their health and reputation.
So yeah I miss him, but I wouldn't want him to come back.

All I'm going to say is, look at all the finishes in title fights since he left. He sure didn't have any fights to compare with that last fight between Robbie and Hendricks.

Yes he was boring, but I liked him. a GSP card always seemed like a REAL title-fight, it just had that vibe. Also, it was boring but quite masterful seeing him completely shut down a top-level opponent.

I miss the guy. Very very technical.

Funny how GSP was a killer and then started getting decisions due to top competition.

We see that in Jones now, killer gone to decisions based on fighting tough tough guys.

Gsp gained LNP rep...Jones gaining wall n stall rep.
Both not true.

Amazing how he was barely hit, until after his knee surgery. Lost a notch in his quickness that made him a legend, and still came out on top.

His fight against Koscheck should have been stopped due to the broken orbital. A mistake by the ref.

I miss the guy. Very very technical.

Funny how GSP was a killer and then started getting decisions due to top competition.

We see that in Jones now, killer gone to decisions based on fighting tough tough guys.

Gsp gained LNP rep...Jones gaining wall n stall rep.
Both not true.

Amazing how he was barely hit, until after his knee surgery. Lost a notch in his quickness that made him a legend, and still came out on top.
nicely said

I'm glad he's gone. He ruled over one of the best divisions in the sport and he's in the conversation for the greatest of all time IMO... But that doesn't mean I have to pretend he entertained me. He was boring as all hell and I consider the money I spent to watch him fight wasted in a way I wouldn't even consider money wasted if an entire card ended up being a stinker.

A lot of GSP-headlined cards were actually great cards... and yet I consider the money I spent on them wasted because the main event was lackluster and there was no suspense or possibility of a finish.

It's just an opinion of mine. We all have different tastes, we all have different things we want to see out there in that cage. Me, if I had to pick.. I'd choose champions like Lawler and Pettis and Weidman. Guys who will look to finish you at the slightest opportunity instead of running out the clock with jabs and inside leg kicks before wrapping up the round with a closing-minute double-leg...

Why do you think it's sad that he walked away at a young age?

I have seen way too many guys have a real sad ending by hanging on too long. GSP did it right, but we're not used to that.
It's sad that the best WW fighter is not fighting anymore.

No he wasn't! He knew he have to vacate the title. Also did he announce that he fully retired or is that something else you have made up?
Don't kid yourself, GSP wouldn't have given up the title if the UFC didn't want him to.

The Lawler Hendricks fight was equally if not more boring than any fight GSP had. So yeah

i dont miss him at all

but at the same time liked his commitment

I liked pre-Serra GSP. Post-Serra GSP went into ultra-safety mode and his finish rate dropped to 25%.

He ended his career with 7 consecutive decisions. He had more trouble with Diaz than he should have and basically lost the Hendricks fight according to everyone but the judges.

I admired his skills and athleticism, but could never stop criticizing him for his complete lack of killer instinct. He just wouldn't go for it.

He did a better job of presenting himself as an ambassador for the sport despite his very close friendship with the weed king of Canada. I find it hard to believe that he was that close to the guy and unaware he was best buds with a cartel kingpin.

I loved GSP. I hated his haters. But at the end of the day, his haters made his career that much more enjoyable. They would come on here like "GSP isn't really that great. He will never be able to strike with...." Then he outstruck BJ Penn, Thiago Alves etc. "His wrestling will never stand up against..." Then he outwrestled Hughes, Koscheck and at least wrestled decent with Hendricks.

GSP was a scientist of the "SPORT." He studied it and he learned how to win at the "GAME" of MMA whether or not you win the "FIGHT." It angered people that misplaced their anger on GSP when they should have been thanking GSP for exposing the loopholes in the judging system. If the judging system were different, GSP would fight differently.

An old post of mine...
George St. Pierre versus Matt Hughes 2
Matt's legacy. The nature of the first fight. The events leading up the second. The Ultimate Fighter. The dominance in the fight itself. The high-five after the spinning back kick. McCarthy showing why he is an awesome ref. GSP muscling out of a takedown and Hughes smiling the smile of knowing there is nothing he can do. GSP's crazy intense look when he was returning to his corner after he almost finished Hughes following a superman punch. The fake outside leg kick to inside trip(so AWESOME). The headkick. The overflow of genuine emotion. GSP voice: "I am not American but I will do my best to keep the title in North American territory. " Randy being genuinely impressed. New era of MMA begins. It was a good night.

May 2007, 3 posts damn lol

Back