I Miss GSP ; and I was one of those that called him boring

I have never thought he was boring or LNP. He was always trying to advanced position, if anything the only fight he truly LNP on is the first BJ fight where he clearly looked at the clock and held position.

I have never thought he was boring or LNP. He was always trying to advanced position, if anything the only fight he truly LNP on is the first BJ fight where he clearly looked at the clock and held position.

You're completely correct but wasting your time with his haters.

He was almost finished at the beginning of the third with that high kick and was wobbly for the rest of the fight. He did not dominate, regardless of the score card.

After that Kick he got back up and went right back to work.

Nah I'm a huge fan but I'm happy he retired on top and didn't go out punch drunk like Chuck. He is still a young guy and will have a bright future outside of the sport.

What I do miss is guys like him, who were great ambassadors for the sport and could be role models to kids taking up a martial arts class for the first time. Nowadays, too many fighters wanna market themselves like Floyd.

Idk man. Seems like the new guys just aren't catching on. Dunno why. Perhaps the 75$ PPV tag. But like I don't see Cain, Weidman, Pettis, Rousey or Mighty Mouse being thug or disrespectful or anything. And I don't see Hendricks, Lawler, Aldo or Dillashaw doing anything at all. Only Jones seems to be using negative attention to his advantage/disadvantage.

An old post of mine...
George St. Pierre versus Matt Hughes 2
Matt's legacy. The nature of the first fight. The events leading up the second. The Ultimate Fighter. The dominance in the fight itself. The high-five after the spinning back kick. McCarthy showing why he is an awesome ref. GSP muscling out of a takedown and Hughes smiling the smile of knowing there is nothing he can do. GSP's crazy intense look when he was returning to his corner after he almost finished Hughes following a superman punch. The fake outside leg kick to inside trip(so AWESOME). The headkick. The overflow of genuine emotion. GSP voice: "I am not American but I will do my best to keep the title in North American territory. " Randy being genuinely impressed. New era of MMA begins. It was a good night.

I remember that all so vividly as I read that.

UFC needs GSP badly. I was always hyped for his fights.

Hardy was but the rest where great and some awesome.

I think alot of people get bored watching prolonged beatdowns for 5 rounds like the majority of GSP fights. It's like if you are clearly superior than give us a finish and wrap it up. The endless takedown to gnp game gets boring fast.

But I don't really think GSP's original plan was to walk away from MMA permanently. I think the decision to retire came as a reaction to the fact that he was more or less forced to give up his title.

When you consider how long it took for Hendricks to come back and then lose his belt in a boring fashion, Dana must be kicking himself.

I think alot of people get bored watching prolonged beatdowns for 5 rounds like the majority of GSP fights. It's like if you are clearly superior than give us a finish and wrap it up. The endless takedown to gnp game gets boring fast.

I was a fan, but his lack of sub attempts (apart from in the last 30 secs, when it's pretty tough to pull them off against a top guy) are what annoyed me the most.

I'd like to see him come back at some point but him leaving was good for the division, it turned a stale division into one of the most exciting.

GSP broke a lot of fighters.

I never got why GSP's "fights" were a spectacle. I turned off pretty much all of them by the 2nd or 3rd round, knowing full well a finish or anything exciting wasn't going to happen. Even the beating of Fitch was monotonous. At some point, you need to display killer instinct and get the opponent out of there.

My favourite GSP moment is during his second fight with BJ Penn.

At the end of the forth round when he punched the cage.

That is the only time I've ever seen Georges angry.

I am glad he is gone. All the respect to him, but 170 got a lot more interesting after he left

Back