I like it better this way. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTrainer

Red Belt
Reaction score
So, I've modded a lot lighter over the past few days. It still grinds my gears that people are starting threads without first reading the rules and the FAQs, but I'm starting to believe that's (sadly) just an unrealistic expectation. The lower expectations are certainly a lot easier and less stressful for me.

Frankly, I was tired of spitting against the wind. If I keep up the "light modding," certainly, this forum will not be all that I and a bunch of the regulars wanted it to be. However, it wasn't really getting much closer with tighter modding, either. It was mostly an exercise in frustration--at the end of the day, there are few means by which mods/regulars can encourage people to read the FAQs/rules before posting. I'm can't (or rather, I'm not) just going to ban or dub people for ignorance.

Personally, I think I'd rather do this the way I've done it over the past few days.

Thoughts?

IMO Sherdogs going through a phase, where once there used to be a wealth of epic threads, good banter and plenty of information now these things are rare. All will be good in time.. hopefully :p

Hello Xtrainer,

I've been out of this forum for the better part of 2 weeks as I went away to Ibiza on vacation, normally had I been more availiable I'd have tried to help with the more basic of enquiries like I usually try to do.

Sadly, I do think this forum has dropped a bit in recent times and I base my opinion purely on the fact that I don't desire to come here as often - maybe it's the lack of studies posted, maybe it's not having special guest like Dave Barr, Alan Aragon anymore or maybe other things...

I wouldn't take what's happening here personally X, and I can appreciate the work you put in, personally, I don't think I could be arsed with it. Whatever you do it cool by me.

IMF#1

You do a good job X.

I don't see how the quality of this forum has gone down. There are alot more members with a clue about what they are talking about now. Also, more new members asking questions isnt a bad thing. You want a consistant flow of new members. It is unrealistic to think everyone who comes here will read the FAQ first. Especially if they are not used to posting on forums they may not even know what "FAQ" means.

The new members with shitty attitudes phase themselves out and the ones who want to learn will stick around.

I'm still waiting for the title of the book you were reading.

sigh.jpg

You can only do so much. The only way to get quality posters in here is up to the willingness to learn of each individual that comes to this forum. Maybe this "lighter modding" will promote that a little more.

I agree with IMF#1 - not to take anything personally. You're doing a good job.

Conceivably someone could make one massive sticky containing every bit of information pertaining to diet and nutrition. But this goes against the whole purpose of these threads, which is discussions and sharing of opinions. If every time someone had a question about something that was covered in the sticky/FAQ and you went "read the damn 6 million page FAQ/Sticky before asking questions!" what would be the point of having these threads in the first place and why would you still be employed?

LOL @ me being "employed."

The point of stickies, as I have belabored, is to answer the basic questions so we can move on to more interesting, challenging, and "unsettled" questions.

Oh, that book! Don't remember the exact title, something about "Armed America," I think. Basically about philosophy of self defense, legal and psychological issues that go with it, responsibilities, and so forth.

(I was reading about martial arts before I even started training, and have quite a little library Brazilian jiu-jitsu, MMA, and other martial arts/self defense books).

Oh, that book! Don't remember the exact title, something about "Armed America," I think. Basically about philosophy of self defense, legal and psychological issues that go with it, responsibilities, and so forth.

(I was reading about martial arts before I even started training, and have quite a little library Brazilian jiu-jitsu, MMA, and other martial arts/self defense books).

That's exactly why I wanted the title. It sounded like a book I'd be interested in.

The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts is a great read. Pretty much anything William Scott Wilson translates is good.

Are you an experienced martial artist? Honestly, I think the book would probably be good for beginners, but like I said, I've read a lot of books on the subject and this book offered little that I hadn't seen before.

Are you an experienced martial artist? Honestly, I think the book would probably be good for beginners, but like I said, I've read a lot of books on the subject and this book offered little that I hadn't seen before.

No. My background consist of about 5 Karate classes at the local YMCA when I was 6. Other than that I'm a keyboard warrior specializing in couch arts.

I do however thoroughly enjoy reading martial arts philosophy and things of that nature.

Oh. Well in that case it might be a good read for you.

Another one I'd suggest is called something like "The Black Book of Violence." It discusses the harsh realities of violent situations and, therefore, why avoiding those situations is so important. It starts with the premise that young men tend to glorify violence in their minds (true, they do), and then proceeds to dispel any glamorous notions the reader may have about prevailing in violent encounters.

Like I said, I've been a martial artist for a long time, have never been in a fight outside of training, and am well-acquainted with the literature (all of these things are related, you see). So, like the other book I mentioned, this book was kind of "old news" to me, but it's the sort of thing I would want my adolescent male relatives to read, in order to teach them how to stay out of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back