I left the army and got fat, need some guidance

Eat better and lift weights. There's no magic answer. Just an easy answer that most people don't like because they don't find the work easy.

Small wins first to keep you in the game - eliminate high fructose corn syrup from your diet completely (its in alot more shit than people realize) and try to increase fiber intake.

cholesterol can get wonky during fat loss phases and then stabilize a few months after your weight has settled. focus on getting bringing the weight down first and then get some routine testing done after you've met a sustainable target weight. Low carb + IF + some high volume weight training is a good place to start (sucks at first) but your body will adapt. taking a fiber supplement will also probably help with your cholesterol levels and keep you regular and make sure you hit your protein quotas. (1.5g -2 g / kg body weight.)

Last edited:
Healthy whole natural food

Working out

Sleep

Healthy mindset, fun

Don't search for magic, you are the magic

Just have fun and do something

Regular activites you enjoy

Always eat healthy things

Have fun with it

Food wise cut out sugar and white flour and refined oils

Last edited by a moderator:
cholesterol can get wonky during fat loss phases and then stabilize a few months after your weight has settled. focus on getting bringing the weight down first and then get some routine testing done after you've met a sustainable target weight. Low carb + IF + some high volume weight training is a good place to start (sucks at first) but your body will adapt. taking a fiber supplement will also probably help with your cholesterol levels and keep you regular and make sure you hit your protein quotas. (1.5g -2 g / kg body weight.)

Protein quotas ? Is his goal athletic or health. 1.5-2 g is for UFC fighters.

I recomend food instead of fiber supplements. There are many natural food items very high in fiber. Dried fruit, vegetables, oatmeal does have fiber. Though loading up on whole grain wheat for a better digestion isn't good.

No supplements or special diets will help you lose weight quicker, the only way is to have a calorie deficit(eating less calories than you burn, I would recommend trying for between -500 and -1000 calories. The internet will give you an approximate daily caloric expenditure just based on your height, weight, age ect, would probably work out to be between 2000-2500 for you. Take it as a high end estimate and eat around 1500 calories in a day. Measure the quantities of your meals or if you're eating in a restaurant find out how many calories are within your item. I personally will intermittent fast so I skip breakfast and eat an average of 500 calories in my lunch and dinner each the rest of my allowance will be a protein shake and a couple snacks.

I would recommend eating high protein low carbs and if you're having carbs try having complex ones like sweet potato, whole grains, brown rice, corn ect. This will fill you up and prevent you from going over your calorie budget. Protein shake works really well for me, 150 calories but 35 grams fo protein and very filling.
Other filling things: Diet pop, carbonated water ect.

The main battle is your diet but you can help by exercising, it won't make much difference if you do it once a week but if you go 5x a week or more it can really help your deficit. I personally do a combination of weightlifting then High intensity interval training(this one really helps you burn calories in a quick period of time) Get a heart rate tracker for your workouts try to keep your HR above 150.

Back